work out w/o buddy

Options
i have an on and off again work out buddy. but i need to get on schedule and do it my self. how do you get the courage to do it alone? what do you do to keep entertained while working out alone. (my ipod is missing, so music is out)

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to music while working out.

And I prefer to work out alone, outside, at a playground.
  • Mainosaur
    Mainosaur Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I actually like going by myself. When you go by yourself you don't have to worry about the other person ie: are they ready to leave? Should I do the same thing as them? Do they want me to carry a conversation while working out?

The first time I went alone I was afraid of silly things like "what if a more fit person is judging me" or "what if I look like an idiot" but then I think "I'm doing this for me, don't care what anyone thinks" I could be at home eating and sitting in front of a computer, but I'm at the gym instead.

When you're alone, you get good thinking time to yourself also.
  • easycause
    Options
    I have always worked out alone, and I have to have music and if there is a TV in front of me even better. Then I don't get bored and talk myself out of stopping. I just started going to the gym which is better for me than working out at home, cause at home I can easily talk myself out of doing anything. And I put my workout clothes on to encourage myself to actually go. I did NOT feel like doing anything today but having my workout clothes on made it easy for me to just say screw it and get up.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    alone at home
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I work out with both a friend & alone. I attend an all ladies gym & I find that especially early morning & late evening most people are lone working out. I'm also doing my C25K alone (although the dog tags along :laugh: ). Just bite the bullet & go. Everyone's too busy doping their own thing to notice you :bigsmile:

Side note - Gym has music & I download to my phone rather than cart the ipod about too.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I like the tvs in front of the cardio machines for cardio, but for weights I can't do music or anything because it is distracting and I finish in a more reasonable time if I concentrate. Also I'm scared of someone around me sending something flying or knocking things over and hurting me so music is out of the question. No lie, I was on the mats doing(attempting) push ups one time when me and the dude next to me got pummeled by those weighted ball things because some douche crashed into the stand.

If you don't have a buddy it's easier to get in and get out.