Do I really need to eat more?

Options
About 8 years ago I decided I'd had enough of being fat and lost about 40lbs just by sticking to 3 meals a day with no snacks or alcohol etc. It wasn't very scientific but I lost about 1lb a week without really trying very hard. I ended up being 'skinny fat' but was quite happy that way at the time.

Fast forward to 3 years ago and a little extra weight started to creep back on. In May I was about 147lb (I'm 5'8") and I wasn't happy so I started to properly use MFP again. I ate 1200 calories and did some light exercise (walking the dog etc) and lost 11lbs or so.

Then I discovered insanity. I'm in love. I'm on Day 17 and can already see my body changing which is amazing. I keep reading over and over that I should be eating more though - and I'm kind of nervous. At the minute my calorie goal is set to 1370 but everything I read tells me I should be at 1500 (or more). I've lost just 0.8lb since beginning insanity and my bf scales tell me I've lost 0.3%bf.

What do you think? Has anyone else been in a similar situation and seen positive results from eating more? I'm getting married soon and kind of nervous to undo the work I've done already getting some of the weight off but at the same time I don't want to be hindering any progress I might be making. I guess I just need someone to tell me it's ok, lol. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's ok, eat more.
  • NomadicFlame
    Options
    Don't forget that its not all about the scales. Make sure you take measurements of you waist etc. A lot of people on Insanity lose very little as you gain muscle as you lose fat.

Also the second month of Insanity is where a lot of people lose most weight.

As for eating, just eat what you should be eating. Insanity is bloody hard, so you need to eat enough to do it (Day 24 here and I'm knackered).
  • xdieselx
    xdieselx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes you might need to eat more. I wasn't eating enough calories when I did insanity the first time and it caught up to me in month 2. I had no energy and I had a hard times going through the workouts because they are so long. I started eating more and I was good after that. Just calculate your calories using the insanity nutrition guide and eat that much even if its high, you will need it :P
  • DeirdreGoals
    Options
    Lost 30, quit and came back for the last 10, so I get re joining. Trust your body but don't get obsessed with going to low. If hunger is taking away from friends/family then add enough so you are loosing, feel good and are fully engaged in life. I have seen people go too low and the scale/numbers take over too much brain power. You want this to be manageable. I went from a size 14 at my highest to a solid size 2/26 now and have found a balance right around 1,400 to 1,600 with working out is where I need to be. I am 5'7 and am told I could eat more but I needed to trust my body. Good luck!!
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Is it OK to eat more or less?