Diet Sabotage @ the Workplace

Options
I don't buy junk food and I rarely eat out. I have serious issues with self-control so I try to avoid food variety and eat on a schedule to keep the scale in check. But my job is obsessed with food. Every week there's always fried chicken, pizza, ice cream, donuts, out just simply going out to eat! I've only been there 2 months and I've already managed to gain 6 pounds (I was at my goal weight when I started). How do you resist this temptation and not let it derail healthy eating?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You just have to learn to say no, don't get caught without a healthy alternative and plan ahead. Truth is, this is our change, our decision, and we can't expect others to change to facilitate our lifestyle, we just have to learn to adapt.
  • hollyann31
    hollyann31 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    always to be sure you bring your own healthy food to work..if you know theres going to be food in one specific area try to avoid it because sometimes just the smells of food is enough to make you crave it..you can do this just keep telling yourself that your health is way more important than sabotaging your self at work..
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    You just have to learn to say no, don't get caught without a healthy alternative and plan ahead. Truth is, this is our change, our decision, and we can't expect others to change to facilitate our lifestyle, we just have to learn to adapt.

Agreed. And it's not sabotage. It's them living their normal lives.

Just say, "No thanks, I brought lunch from home." "No thanks, I'm not hungry."

If all else fails, "No thanks, (that particular food) gives me wicked gas... you don't want to be around me after I had it."
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it "sabotage", just life. You're going to be surrounded by food wherever you go. You need to just practice resisting it and eating healthier alternatives, or eating it and working it into your calories.
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sorry but Altariel is right - this is a lifestyle change and you either have to plan ahead and do more exercise/eat less for 2 or 3 days before any "meal out" events or else appear to be a killjoy and just not go.

Having said that, you could make it crystal clear to work colleagues that you can't afford to put weight on and ask them - nicely - if they would keep their doughnuts etc to themselves. It may not work but it IS at least worth asking them if they will help you stay at your goal weight.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I bring everything I plan to eat at work with me. On days I lift, I even bring a protein bar so I can eat it on the way home. That way, when I'm offered food or snacks at work, I've got the double whammy of, "Don't eat that, it's terrible for you," AND, "you already brought healthy snacks from home, if you don't eat them today, they'll go bad." Deep down I know those grapes/ carrots/ salad will keep for another day, but it helps me to think in those terms. I also log all the food I plan to eat at work on MFP as I'm eating breakfast in the morning, and my laziness/ lack of time during the day discourages me from eating things I'll have to go back and add.

My work regularly has cookies, candy bars, muffins, etc. that they either hand out or make readily available. I actually took a granola bar when it was offered the other day because granola bars are pretty good. It's sat on my counter ever since, because while they *are* good, without any chocolate or peanut butter, they're not 140 calories worth of 'good'.

It's difficult sometimes. People try to pressure you into eating something and act like you're ungrateful or crazy, but keep sight of your goal and try to ignore them.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I don't buy junk food and I rarely eat out. I have serious issues with self-control so I try to avoid food variety and eat on a schedule to keep the scale in check. But my job is obsessed with food. Every week there's always fried chicken, pizza, ice cream, donuts, out just simply going out to eat! I've only been there 2 months and I've already managed to gain 6 pounds (I was at my goal weight when I started). How do you resist this temptation and not let it derail healthy eating?

We don't have food as often as you do, but I had to learn self control and be accountable to myself. I'll eat the donuts/brownies/whatever when they come in, but I'll log them like a champ and eat around them. It's not up to them to make your choices for you by altering their lives. :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There will always be food around us, that's life. Just learn when to say yes and when to say no. Keep plenty of snacks at work that fit in with your diet plan. Aim for snack to have protein and fat in them which will satisfy the hunger for longer and make you less likely to give into temptation.
  • ChelseaAClanton89
    ChelseaAClanton89 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! This will definitely be a way for me to build self control and prove to myself that I'm not the "old me" anymore.
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My workplace will usually have a healthy option
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem......you just have to say no. Keep some good options in your desk or fridge and have that instead. That way, you feel like you are participating, only in a healthy way. You have to keep your eye on the prize......your body, your health. Others will not do it for you......I wish you lots of perseverance xo
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My workplace is a lot like this. Whenever someone has a birthday, just got back from vacation, had success in some project etc its normal for them and others to bring in cakes and candy. If I were you I would learn to say no to food actually in the office (some good tips from others on here), but still try and go along with your workmates if they are eating out (just try and choose a healthier option or work it into your calories for the day). Personally I find it really frustrating if I miss out on social events because I'm trying to lose weight (even work social events!) but that might just be me!
  • NBeehler
    NBeehler Posts: 24
    Options

So unfortunately true! Learn to say no when you want to say no. The more control you take in your life, the more confident you become and the easier it is to make these kinds of decisions.