Cereal / oat bar recipes wanted

Options
nessaj
nessaj Posts: 74 Member
Does anyone have a good tasty and healthy recipe for cereal bars? I've tried searching online but not really come across that many. I saw one that sounded good but it had a number of ingredients that I haven't seen on the shelves in the UK (something to do with marshmallow fluff or sauce or something I can't remember it now!)

Replies

• Kazren
    Options
    marshmallow fluff or sauce or something I can't remember it now!

Marshmallow fluff is an American import, its marshmallow in a jar, you can buy in selfridges, and their are prob some online shops you can buy it from, just type it into google and hit shopping at the top, and it will bring up a list.
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    This recipe is for breakfast cookies but I bet you could make bars with it too if you prefer.

Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies

Ingredients

3 cups oats
    2 medium bananas
    just under 1⁄3 cup olive oil
    1⁄3 tsp salt or to taste
    1⁄3 to 1⁄2 cup dates (pitted), raisins, or prunes
    ¼ cup applesauce
    brown rice syrup or maple syrup to taste (optional)
    2⁄3 cup toasted almonds or any other nut you like (optional)
    2⁄3 cup dark chocolate chips (optional) - original recipe called for carob chips, I prefer chocolate!

How to make it

Mix oats and salt. Add olive oil and mix well.
    In a blender, mix bananas and dates until well blended and smooth. You can add a little brown rice syrup or maple syrup if you want them sweet.
    Add banana mixture to the oats and blend well. Add nuts and chocolate chips if you like. Let stand for half an hour.
    On an ungreased cookie sheet, form cookies (they will not spread or change at all with baking, so make them nice!)
    Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12-15 min.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I've had a hard time finding good recipes for homemade bars too. Sometimes they aren't good and other times the recipes have too much crap in it. If you enjoy larabars (basically a date, nut bar) there are good recipes for making those and they are tasty. I don't think they usually contain oats but I don't see why you couldn't add them, just as long as there is enough stickiness to hold it together.
  • jingaspringa
    Options
    Here is a great recipe that I make just about every week and they are yummy, super easy to make (takes less than 5 minutes) and really healthy too.

Protein Bars

dry ingredients
    1 cup protein powder (I usually don't use a whole cup, just a few scoops instead - preferably chocolate)
    1 1/2 cup oats
    1/4 cup wheat germ
    1/4 cup flax meal
    2-3 tbsp cocoa powder

wet ingredients
    1 cup agave nectar or honey
    1 cup peanut butter
    1 tsp vanilla

Combine all dry ingredients and set aside. In sauce pan bring agave or honey to a boil, then remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla. Stir until combined. Pour peanut butter mixture with dry ingredients. Press down into ungreased square pan. Cool in refrigerator.

other optional things you can add to dry mixture
    coconut flakes
    walnuts
    choc. chips

I find that if you add to many ingredients to the 'dry' mix then they end up tasting a little dry after they are cooled. You can experiment with the optional and regular ingredients too, to make a mixture that you like best.

Hope you enjoy!