Healthy(ish) hangover food?!

Options
Is there such a thing?! If so, please share your suggestions!

Dying of a hangover & would love to just pig out on crappy food today but I'm trying to resist the urge...

I'm sick & tired of doing really well on my diet during the week & then ruining it now & again at weekends from too much alcohol & then eating rubbish the following day to make myself feel better!

HELP!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    That's exactly why I don't drink much any more!

Full English usually sorts me out & then you shouldn't need much tea anyway!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    That's a tough question! I don't get hungover too often anymore so when I am I usually just allow myself the damn pizza! To be good maybe have some scrambled eggs with smoked salmon instead of a big fry up. I love carbs on a hangover so I would make myself home made chips by cutting potatoes into chip sized pieces and roasting them for about 30-40 minutes and eat with salt and vinegar and a little ketchup. Not great but better than the pig out I normally have when I am hungover!
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Full English usually sorts me out & then you shouldn't need much tea anyway!

Full English sounds sooooooo good right now!! Luckily I don't have anything in the fridge to make one!!

Looks like its back to bed for me before a McDonald's calls me...
  • amwood89
    Options
    That's a tough question! I don't get hungover too often anymore so when I am I usually just allow myself the damn pizza! To be good maybe have some scrambled eggs with smoked salmon instead of a big fry up. I love carbs on a hangover so I would make myself home made chips by cutting potatoes into chip sized pieces and roasting them for about 30-40 minutes and eat with salt and vinegar and a little ketchup. Not great but better than the pig out I normally have when I am hungover!

Scrambled egg yesssss! That is what I shall have! Not sure if it will satisfy in me in the same was as a fry but its worth a try :-) thanks!!
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    That question almost seems like an oxymoron. I've never in my life recovered from a hangover by eating healthy food, lol.
  • benno1978
    benno1978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    banana lots of water & coffee
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You need to hydrate. Alcohol dehydrates you. Also, one of the things your body produces to process the alcohol is acetaldehyde and then some other enzymes are released to combat the acetaldehyde because it is a toxin. The problem is, there is a limited supply of the other enzymes and when you drink too much, it runs out, leaving you with this acetaldehyde that makes you feel ill.

Plenty of water, and replenishing sodium and potassium, and vitamins is important. V8 juice is a really good option and bananas. Eggs are good too because they have a substance that helps break down the acetaldehyde.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    More of a prevention than a cure... I have Gatorade before I got to bed after I drink too much. I keep the bottle on my nightstand so I can sip more if/when I wake up in the night. Bonus points if I nibble some pretzels before bed, too.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    That egg white delite mcmuffin is pretty good.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    More of a prevention than a cure... I have Gatorade before I got to bed after I drink too much. I keep the bottle on my nightstand so I can sip more if/when I wake up in the night. Bonus points if I nibble some pretzels before bed, too.

This... or pedialyte... or take a B complex tablet or two before you actually start drinking, don't be alarmed by your radioactive urine in the morning though. Just drinking a big glass of water before you fall asleep can help a lot too.

My go to's for when I feel like eating again that I would consider "healthy" are eggs with cheese and bacon usually with some toast or a bagel and a lot of water or a diet Coke. A little caffeine is usually the kick in the rear that I need to not lay around ALLLL day, just part of it and will usually knock out any dehydration headache I have going on.
  • wlawhorn1993
    Options
    Okay, let's talk safe drinking. Before you drink, make sure you are hydrated. I mean well hydrated drink a glass of water every thirty minutes until you pee every thirty minutes and it is clear. Then be careful what you drink it is really east to blow your calorie cap. If you drink liquor you may fair better, but not mixing rum and coke, the coke kills you might as well just drink beer. Low carb beer is still high in calories. Lastly. Before you go to bed, atop drinking about thirty minutes to an hour ahead. Drink water as much as you comfortably can before you go to bed. Every 3 or 4 hours get up and drink water. Most of you are asking why water instead of pedialyte or Gatorade. It is simple. All consumable alcoholic beverages consist of ethanol. Ethanol displaces water. That's why you pee so much when you drink. Not because you have a high fluid intake, because the ethanol is pushing the water out of your body. Now if you have a pot of salty water , like in your body, and you boil the water off, where does the salt go? Nowhere it stays right there in the pot. So loading up on pedialyte and Gatorade is bad you are adding fluid but not fixing the electrolyte imbalance, which is probably 40% of the problem. Someone mentioned B vitamins, that is not a bad idea, however I would take them morning after, because they will most likely be useless when there isn't a medium to transport them. So in summation drink water before, drink water during, drink water after, and take a few Tylenol or ibuprofen and maybe a SMALL Gatorade. To replenish what you lost through sweating if you were really partying hard.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Every hangover is cured with a sausage and egg sandwich and a glass of orange juice!

Grill the sausage, poach your egg and don't go crazy on the sauces but you'll feel better almost straight away.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Lots of liquids. Eggs and bacon.

I actually find the best way to get rid of it is to drink a lot of water and get up and move around. Working out while hungover sucks, but I generally feel better after I sweat it out.
  • amwood89
    Options
    Thank you all! I ended up having an omelette and a can of coke which seems to have done the trick! Just making sure I have plenty of water now.... (Whilst eating chocolate !! Oops)

I can't see me doing much today but ill maybe have a walk later on the harbour, fresh air will probably help! I'll wait til tomorrow before I work out. :-)

Thanks for all the info!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Coconut water!
    Runny eggs and toast.
    Green smoothies (extra banana).
    And of course tons of regular water.
  • darce27dk
    darce27dk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Banana Smoothie with Greek yogurt definitely helps me! add some fruit in there too. Bananas work wonders!!!!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's talk safe drinking. Before you drink, make sure you are hydrated. I mean well hydrated drink a glass of water every thirty minutes until you pee every thirty minutes and it is clear. Then be careful what you drink it is really east to blow your calorie cap. If you drink liquor you may fair better, but not mixing rum and coke, the coke kills you might as well just drink beer. Low carb beer is still high in calories. Lastly. Before you go to bed, atop drinking about thirty minutes to an hour ahead. Drink water as much as you comfortably can before you go to bed. Every 3 or 4 hours get up and drink water. Most of you are asking why water instead of pedialyte or Gatorade. It is simple. All consumable alcoholic beverages consist of ethanol. Ethanol displaces water. That's why you pee so much when you drink. Not because you have a high fluid intake, because the ethanol is pushing the water out of your body. Now if you have a pot of salty water , like in your body, and you boil the water off, where does the salt go? Nowhere it stays right there in the pot. So loading up on pedialyte and Gatorade is bad you are adding fluid but not fixing the electrolyte imbalance, which is probably 40% of the problem. Someone mentioned B vitamins, that is not a bad idea, however I would take them morning after, because they will most likely be useless when there isn't a medium to transport them. So in summation drink water before, drink water during, drink water after, and take a few Tylenol or ibuprofen and maybe a SMALL Gatorade. To replenish what you lost through sweating if you were really partying hard.

Just want to point out that having a Coke with or without rum will not kill you. [unless you have gallons and gallons of rum (or any other alcoholic beverage) and get alcohol poisoning]

ETA: OP glad you are feeling better.:smile:
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Yea, this ^^ for me too. It was just a drag having a hangover and finding myself inclined to pig out trying to feel better and so I mostly don't bother to drink any more. I've teased that I'm "allergic" to booze being as lately even just a couple glasses of wine would cause an awful hangover.

To the OP: obviously water will help, seems hangovers are primarily caused by dehydration. Actually they suggest drinking water *while* drinking to reduce next day hangover symptoms ~ such as a glass of water between each booze drink and a big glass before sleep. Also I've read suggestions to eat a fatty meal *before* drinking.

I've heard bananas might help, maybe try that today (the potassium?).
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs with chopped up back bacon, loads of vegetables and chillies/chilli sauce. Full of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals to get you back on an even keel!
  • amwood89
    Options
    Caved in and just ordered pizza...