Weight lifting and losing weight - the balance?

Options
What is the best way to build muscle and definition while also losing weight? Don't you have to increase you calorie intake when weight lifting or else won't your body have nothing to build off of? My fitness suggestion was 1,200 calories a week. But is that enough if I am weight lifting 3 times a week?

Replies

• Back2Body87
    Options
    Also - anyone on here from the Chicagoland area???? Inquisitive newbie here!
  • Livelynenergetic
    Options
    I'd stick to compound exercises that work more muscle groups at a time. I.e - squats, deadlifts, pullovers, bent over rows, dips etc...

Regards to eating… I personally like to focus more on eating enough portions per day of protein & carbs along with healthy fats. Ideally you'll want to ensure that you consume anywhere from 5-6 small meals per day say every 2.5hours or so to ensure your body has enough fuel to rebuild and burn fat. I focus on a portion (a clenched fist) of protein per meal. Whether it be - grilled chicken breast skin off, tuna, turkey breast, or other lean meats together with say boiled potatoes & broccoli.

A MRP shake will also come in handy every now and then to take care of those extra meals and save you a bit of time. They usually have a decent amount of protein & calories in them as well. Peanuts, almonds or pumpkin seeds are great sources of energy as well.
  • silenthunter93
    silenthunter93 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'd stick to compound exercises that work more muscle groups at a time. I.e - squats, deadlifts, pullovers, bent over rows, dips etc...

Regards to eating… I personally like to focus more on eating enough portions per day of protein & carbs along with healthy fats. Ideally you'll want to ensure that you consume anywhere from 5-6 small meals per day say every 2.5hours or so to ensure your body has enough fuel to rebuild and burn fat. I focus on a portion (a clenched fist) of protein per meal. Whether it be - grilled chicken breast skin off, tuna, turkey breast, or other lean meats together with say boiled potatoes & broccoli.

A MRP shake will also come in handy every now and then to take care of those extra meals and save you a bit of time. They usually have a decent amount of protein & calories in them as well. Peanuts, almonds or pumpkin seeds are great sources of energy as well.

^ This, consume 1g of protein per body weight, low carbs (since you want to lose weight), and healthy fats. And for cardio do HIIT this way you preserve your muscle mass and still burn fat. And one suggestion instead of 1200 cals try upping to 1500 cals, because the days you workout if you consume 1500 cals you will probably burn around 200-300 cals and you will fall back to 1200-1300 cals. Whereas if you were consuming 1200 cals on your workout days and you burn 200-300 cals you are falling 1000-900 cals which is very little IMO.