Question for those who have lost 40+ lbs

Options
Do you have a problem with extra/loose skin?

If so did it tighten back up or is it getting any better?

If so, how long did it take for your skin to snap back?

After a having children my stomach took about 6 months it tightened back on it's own. is it the same with weight loss in all areas of the body?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well it's only been 6 months since I started losing weight but yes I have loose skin.
  • scubar17
    scubar17 Posts: 43
    Options
    It's my understanding that loose skin happens if you lose weight too quickly...and you're losing muscle instead of fat. I've been averaging about 1.7 lbs of fat loss per week and have no loose skin.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It's mostly genetics. I have a bit of loose skin on my arms, a little on my belly and a bit on my inner thighs. It has gotten somewhat better since starting with weights, but it's still there and I've got more to lose.
  • JakesMina
    Options
    I have been wondering about that, also. I have lost 44 lbs so far and have loose skin everywhere (stomach, legs, arms). Do you think age is a factor? I am almost 60 and have been badly overweight for over 20 years. I think I may need to have skin removal surgery when I'm finished (goal is to lose 90 lbs), unless someone has a great idea for tightening up. I am doing weight lifting now, so hopefully that will help. Thanks for any input!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Age, genetics, rate of weight loss and your total weight loss all have a part to play in the loose skin you may be left with. I am not having a major problem with it so far. Ultimately, however, I realise that after losing close to 200 pounds at my journey's end, I will probably have some loose skin. But I would rather have that than the extra pounds on my body! :wink:
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I think age has a lot to do with it--but really because of the lower level of moisture/elasticity in the skin. Maybe lotion and massage can help.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds over several months--maybe a year, I'm not sure to be honest--at age 32. I didn't have lose skin.
  • Determination29
    Options
    Thank you! This is good 2 know. I do agree loose skin is better than fat. Anyone battled it and improved lose skin without surgery?
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Loose skin can be an issue ... I'm down 40 pounds, and I have at least another 50 to go so I'm not sure how bad the skin issue is going to be, but I already see indications of it being an issue.

Quite honestly unless someone is willing to pay for me to have it fixed, I'm going to be investing in some spankz support clothing to hold it in place. I feel a lot depends on this 1) how long have you carried the weight, 2) how quickly you took it off and 3) how old you are (sad but true fact the older you are the less elasticity there is in your skin).
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I havent lost enough to tell yet. fingers crossed!!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight fast and it wasn't an issue at all for me. Not sure if it was purely genetics, but I wasn't doing anything unusual to avoid loose skin. I do drink a large amount of fluids every day.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I don't, lost weight over one year also I do lots of exercise.
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't want to discourage you.. but it is genetics.... I have loose skin like my grandma does on her arms... I HATE IT! My little sister, lost about 50lbs... She looks super great.. fit and all, but still struggles with some loose skin... I do know that there is some truth in the weight loss madness and confusion.... If you loose weight by eating right, you skin does repair, some and looks much healthier than if you do a fad diet or starve... Also, weights and exercise help mine more than anything... Everyone said with more time It will get better... IDK if that's true, or if the exercise is what did it!

I know too, that those creams for firmness.. I used Jergens before.. anyhow, it did make improvements after several weeks of daily use! I was impressed for 5 dollars a bottle! Never bought the more expensive brands! But let me know how your journey goes!
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am determined to lose small amounts weekly so I do not have a problem with loose skin.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've lost 51 lbs in 7 months, and it could be worse... but yes I have some (I forgot to mention how fast I lost weight in my first post). It mostly shows on my stomach, otherwise really if you pinch the skin a little... but at least it doesn't hang or anything. I'm 35 and my skin has always been pretty awful, I scar easily etc... To be fair the stretch marks I got when I was 22 are way worse.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have lost 35lbs but see no issues for me yet (27 this year). I would pay for surgery if I had a great deal of it, I think my only issues will be my arms
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have lost around 100lbs and I have some loose skin, but not too much. I think losing slowly helped a great deal, but probably mostly I just hit the genetic lottery. Loose skin has a lot to do with how much collagen is in your skin and therefore how elastic it is. Being young helps. Being genetically lucky helps more. Things that you can control -- lose weight slow and steady instead of fast and do strength training to tone the areas that you are most worried about. Filling in some of the loose skin with muscle will help.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    In a word, yes. It seems to depend upon age and with some level of strength training it seems to improve slowly. It also depends upon how you body is oriented at any given time. My stomach looks pretty good standing, but with my shirt of doing pushups there is that dangling stomach skin.

But the fact that I lost about 80 pounds has a slight trade off of having some loose skin. Frankly, I like the feeling of lightness and the slimmer clothes.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm down about 110 lbs and its a mixture; I have some obvious "jowls" on my neck, but other ares where I have losy "sacks" of fat don't really show it. I suspect another area will. I am past Speedo age though, so I'm not too concerned.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    hi!

im near 40#'s lost.. well actually I did loose 41 in first 4 months on mfp! (and have gained a few back) working on loosing more again... anyway.. NOPE! no loose skin at all.. like i said 41#'s in 4 mo.. so perty fast but not unhealthy fast.. and I worked out (still do) with WEIGHTS along with cardio... if you are loosing body fat vs just 'weight' you shouldnt have much or any loose skin.. and the key word really is WEIGHTS..... NOT just cardio!
    I did/do body pump class at my gym and other classes like body combat that include squats and all of it... you wanna 'loose wt/ and re-shape NOT "deflate"! basically... I have 20 or more pounds to go till my own personal goal.. and i dont plan to have any loose skin (will be 60#'s total lost)
    :bigsmile: