Should I be exercising/more/when...?

Options
So I've been dieting for the past two and a half months or so, and I've lost 19 pounds. The first month I was exercising regularly on my exercise bike(only 30 minutes a day), but to be honest lately it seems that I've stopped completely. I've been eating very few calories though(1450, the amount myfitnesspal said I should intake daily). I seem to be losing weight still without the exercise. Should I be eating a bit more and exercising, or am I doing okay?

Replies

• Bittner
    Options
    Calorie restriction is one of the worst things you can do to your metabolism. It might work in the short term, but long term your body will store fat and not burn anything you put in your mouth. Fuel your body with the proper nutrition and exercise to that you continue to be able to burn calories long term, plus tone up. I eat all day long but it all clean food.
  • asdfghjklmno
    Options
    Bittner - Yes, I am aware that a low calorie intake isn't healthy and will result in gaining weight in the long term. But I certainly am not starving myself, and I am eating the recommended amount of calories per day that this website has told me to do.
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    there are lots of good things about exercising, and really only one of them is losing weight. there's better sleep, better bone density, increased blood flow round your body, rush of feel-goods (endorphins) etc.

all the best!
  • asdfghjklmno
    Options
    Sparren - You're right, I should probably stop being lazy and just do it. Thanks. :]
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm told that you hit plateau's over and over again where it appears you're not losing for awhile. Moderate exercise (3 to 5 times a week) will get you more results than light exercise or no exercise. Women seem to lose less than men in the same time period. Or so it has been with my wife and I.

I eat good foods 95% or more of the time. And I'm counting calories too. And it's not hurting my metabolism at all. I am limiting myself to between 1200 and 1500 cal. per day. I seldom get close to 1200 but ever once in awhile I will. I found that my body naturally wants more around 1500 or so. I can add the exercise calories to the total per day but 95% of the time I do not. Oh and I eat all day long too.

Oh, and don't do any exercise you can't do for life. It's pointless. People just gain the weight back or get flabby when they stop working out. I picked the elliptical cross-trainer at my gym. It works like a charm for me. My wife like Wii Fit Plus because she can do it at home when she has the time.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you should be, if overall health is the goal. If your goal is just losing weight and thinning out, then no biggie if you don't want to exercise. It really is fine either way. I think people will tell you to exercise primarily because it just seems wrong to tell someone NOT to exercise, but in the end diet is the main thing that leads to weight loss and gain, while exercise is the main factor in creating lean muscle. The lean muscle created, however, CAN help to keep weight off because muscle uses calories, and bigger, stronger muscles use more calories all the time, even when you aren't moving. Not to mention all the other benefits mentioned.
  • Tonyv01
    Tonyv01 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    First of all Congrats on the 19 pounds, that's fantastic!!

I am not an expert by any means so I am sure others will jump in here, but MFP has a calorie deficit already built in based on your profile. So as long as you stay on plan you should lose a 1-2 a week.
    If the exercises made you feel better on those days you worked out, than I say keep doing it.
    Some days you will be into it and make it intense, other days it’s a causal walk around the neighborhood. Do it to feel better!
  • asdfghjklmno
    Options
    Sdaudel - Thank you for the in depth response! :) I agree, I don't think I'm harming my metabolism, and I plan on continuing these eating habits after I lose weight so it shouldn't be a problem. I think I'm going to start working out a few times a week, as you've said. And I will do something maintainable for long term.
  • Steelytop
    Options
    Limiting your calorie intake only stops working if you stop doing it. I fill all 1500 calories with things I think are within reason. And it's working. I don't try to fool myself into thinking this is a short-term solution for me. It's a lot easier to go for a walk at 165 lbs than 308 lbs if you ask me. (That's referring to myself) And it's alot easier to be active in that exact same comparison. Imagine trying to carry around a 143 lb person with you all the time. What got me there? Sodas and fast food. Now I just avoid both. I drink water 99% of the time. I buy healthier choices in the grocery store and I allow myself occasional overages on calories as a way to splurge. For example, I love catfish and tarter sauce and so every once in awhile I go have some. I don't worry about it because I exercise 4 or 5 days a week. (Started at 20 mins per day and now I'm at 60 mins per day) Eventually, I'll probably lower that back to 45 mins per day once I'm fit.
  • asdfghjklmno
    Options
    TateFTW - Yeah you're probably right. Evidently exercise would be helpful in my weightloss, but I probably don't need to be doing it ALL the time. I'm gonna try a few times a week. Thanks for the response.
  • Steelytop
    Options
    Sdaudel - Thank you for the in depth response! :) I agree, I don't think I'm harming my metabolism, and I plan on continuing these eating habits after I lose weight so it shouldn't be a problem. I think I'm going to start working out a few times a week, as you've said. And I will do something maintainable for long term.

You're on the right track!! Eventually I'll be able at my target weight and according to this website I'll be able to have approx. 2,100 calories per day or so to stay at that weight. But I'm not going to over-feed myself as I did in the past. I like my new habits and anyone can see that they're having a positive effect on me.

At the moment I avoid alcohol just because it goes against the efficiency of what I'm trying to do. But my wife had 2 Amstel Lights the other night and she counted them in her calories and was under her calorie goal for the day. Simple. Some people think counting is too hard. LOL! I don't. It's easy.
  • asdfghjklmno
    Options
    Tonyv01 - Thank you! And congrats on your 10 pounds. :] And yes, you're right. I'm sure it will be perfectly fine. 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy amount anyways. So regardless of the exercise amounts, I should be alright I hope.
  • asdfghjklmno
    Options
    Sdaudel - Yeah, I'm happy with the way I'm eating and it's no longer hard to do. I'll for sure be able to continue these habits long term. Also, congrats on the 42 pounds, that's amazing.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that exercising caused me to lose weight continually and not slow down or plateau as I got closer to goal. It also allows me to eat a wider variety of foods now on maintenance. It's like an little calorie insurance policy. But I also think exercise can help reset your body's set point so that you don't regain once you stop having a calorie deficit and are eating more.
  • asdfghjklmno
    Options
    MacMadame - Okay, thank you!