skin removal surgery cost?

Options

Replies

• perk325
    perk325 Posts: 9
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck 3 years ago at a teaching hospital. For thePlastic Surgon it was gonna be like 7600. If I had a Resident do it it was 3700. I had a resident, but the plastic surgeon was there too. So I got both for the price. I was still overweight at the time, but it turned out great. I had a full tuck. I have a scar from hip to hip. But you can't even tell with a swim suit on. I had mine done at University of Kentucky.
  • jreckart2003
    Options
    bump for later
  • KittyKitty1991
    KittyKitty1991 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got my Breast Augmentation through a great company in Thailand who Also does Tummy Tucks/skin removal, I think its around 5 000
    Before Anyone goes on about horror stories, The hospital and company I went through, my surgeon, nurses, and TT results I have seen have been top notch.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    This sounds harsh and maybe it is but the saddest part to me is that anyone allows their body to get so overweight and stretched that you need to have pounds of skin removed. Maybe put pictures on chip and soda cans of naked people with saggy skin like they do pictures on cigarette packages. I can understand insurance not paying for something you intentionally did to yourself.

Really harsh, glad you are not a buddy of mine!

WOW!!! What a charmer you are!!!!
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting how many only want the surgery if someone else pays for it
  • echelonokie
    Options
    It's not a matter of someone else paying for it, it's a matter of getting HELP paying for it. Most insurance companies will pay at least a PART of a sex change if the person goes thru and a psych doctor determines it's causing them mental anguish. Insurance will pay for those who smoked or drank for YEARS and need transplants of some sort, yet they won't pay for skin removal to help someone who worked their *kitten* off to lose the weight.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    It's not a matter of someone else paying for it, it's a matter of getting HELP paying for it. Most insurance companies will pay at least a PART of a sex change if the person goes thru and a psych doctor determines it's causing them mental anguish. Insurance will pay for those who smoked or drank for YEARS and need transplants of some sort, yet they won't pay for skin removal to help someone who worked their *kitten* off to lose the weight.

Is that what insurance is for? Should my car insurance pay to wax my truck?
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I work with insurance companies and have to deal with getting things covered. If you can show that the excess skin is causing medical problem such as infections, ulcers etc. then yes the insurance will cover to have it removed. I had my eye lids lifted because of a medical condition that caused them to droop and the excess skin was interfering with my vision. I no longer look like I had a stroke. But until the skin got to the point where it was causing a decreased vision I couldn't get it done.

I have seen people get turned down for skin removal surgery while others get approved. It depends on the reason for the removal as well as how the claim is processed with the insurance. Discuss it with your doctor. Tell your doctor about any rash you may be getting in that area, is it getting in the way of doing daily tasks, is there an odor coming from the skin... all of this needs to be documented and can help you get approval from your insurance. You can't just walk in and say I want this removed because it looks horrible and get it approved. There has to be a medical reason/need to have it removed besides your vanity.

Hope this helps you get it approved.

This is what I'm going with.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to need my upper arms done so clothes can actually fit me. I think I need my abdomen done because it's starting to inhibit the types of exercise I can do. (I have difficulty with plyometrics, for example.) I am willing to pay for as much of it as I can, but unfortunately, I'm on disability and so that's not much. We'll see. I'm still about 20 pounds from goal, and I want to give my body a year or two at goal to see what happens itself. The arms I think are not going to go away....
  • mkh246
    mkh246 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think the surgery is worth it, if it makes you feel better. There must be a way to finance it, right? Gosh that's less money than my car costs...
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It will depend where you are located. I am in australia. I know of someone who had a lower body lift thru privte hospital the cost was $15000 and she got between $1000 and $2000 back thru medicare/private health. Here tho you can also get on the public health system and if approved get it done thru there in a public hospital which wouldnt cost (I have had friends do this) I have lost nearly 180 pounds and will be looking into it next year possibly.
  • utpian
    utpian Posts: 2
    Options
    I know earlier some individuals were saying you could go to a burn center and donate the skin, but this is unfortunately an urban legend. This is from the Shriner's website:

Q: Can skin from gastric bypass surgery be donated to children for skin grafts?

A: No, the only donor skin that can be used at the burn center is cadaver skin processed through a skin bank. Only skin from cadavers is used for skin grafts, because cadavers give the greatest amount of surface area – up to 10 sq. feet of usable skin for a burn patient. Skin that could be taken from a person who had excessive weight loss would not generate the amount of skin or quality skin needed to treat burn patients.

Edited to add: From Traumaburn.org (University of Michigan Burn Center site)

Question: I recently lost a great deal of weight and I have a lots of excess skin. Can I donate my excess skin to a skin bank to help burn patients? Will a tissue bank pay for my skin reduction surgery if I agree to donate my tissue?

Answer: These questions are asked quite often by individuals who have lost large amounts of weight and have excess skin folds. We appreciate your desire to donate, however, this kind of donation is unworkable. Allow me to explain why:

Our center does not obtain skin from these patients for several reasons. First, this method of obtaining skin is cost prohibitive. The amount of transplantable tissue obtained from tissue reduction surgery is minimal when compared to the amount of tissue obtained from a cadaveric (deceased) tissue donor. The procurement costs would be much greater as it would require the services of doctors, nurses, anesthetists, and other health care professionals as well as the use of an operating room and other hospital services. Cadaveric donation requires only trained tissue recovery technicians, and they can procure tissue after the body has been sent to the morgue (rather than in an operating room), thus keeping expenses to a minimum.

Additionally, cadaveric donated tissue can be used for transplant soon after recovery (as soon as quality assurance testing is complete), however, the FDA requires that tissues recovered from living donors must be placed into quarantine for six months. At the end of six months, all serologic testing (HIV and Hepatitis) of the donor must be repeated before that tissue can be used.

It is extremely difficult to obtain a skin graft from tissue than has been removed during tissue reduction surgery. The usual procedure for tissue reduction surgery involves the removal of skin and underlying attached tissues, often several centimeters. Skin grafts used for transplant (burn patients) are only 15/1000 (0.015) of an inch thick and do not include these underlying tissues. Skin grafts for transplant are obtained by the use of a surgical device called a dermatome, which peels off a very thin (0.015 inch) uniform layer of skin.

I do not know of any tissue bank that would pay for a donor's tissue reduction surgical expenses for the purpose of obtaining skin for transplantation. If you are interested in donating your tissues upon your death I would encourage you to share this information with your family. Your gift can save lives and greatly reduce suffering.
  • RickyN29
    RickyN29 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs, I am a 29 year old man, and no one but me and God has ever, or will ever, see me with a shirt off. This also means I am single.

I was against "plastic" surgery and felt I would only be doing it for vain reasons. I recently had a complete change of heart. I met someone important to me, explained about my skin, and they said "I don't care" but I said, "I do care and can never take off my shirt".

I told this to a friend who explained to me, "You have a problem. Even though it doesn't matter to anyone else who may love you, it matters to you and that makes it a problem. Fix the problem. No matter the cost, your happiness in this life is most valuable."

I have maintained my loss for 2 years. I am beginning to research the procedure now.

I realize money is an issue for most us of. Finance it. Even if it takes you 10 years to pay off, isn't your happiness worth it? When I lost the weight, my biggest regret in life was not doing it sooner. I now feel strong that "Phase 2" may just be the next thing I will regret not doing sooner.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I lost, in total, about 180 pounds. I lost it slow and steady, but still had a little belly skin and skin left from what was my moobs. In April of this year I had the surgery - a full abdomnioplasty (tummy tuck to fix the stuff even situps won't fix) and a lateral chest tightening (removing the skin from my chest). Out the door, it totaled $10,500 from a very reputable doctor. This included all the prep office visits, all the recovery office visits, the surgery, the anesthesiologist, the fees due the surgical center, and two abdominal binders to wear during recovery. There were 2 up front visits and 6 post-op visits that were all covered.

The $10k did not include any pre-operation vitamins (there was a package from VitaMedica that my doctor recommended, that was $100+) or the scar reduction creme (another $100+).

If you do opt for the surgery, I recommend the vitamin pack, it seemed like it helped with the recovery. I'm not sure the high end cream did anything, or at least did anything more than Mederma or something similar would have done at half the cost.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I think if you have maintained the loss for 5 years, insurance should cover it. If you can't, than it's a waste of the insurance money. I lost over 200 pounds back in the seventies. I've never been able to afford surgery so I just dress to cover it.
  • Axioml
    Axioml Posts: 29
    Options
    $10,000. Wow
  • bellaamor30
    bellaamor30 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I work with insurance companies and have to deal with getting things covered. If you can show that the excess skin is causing medical problem such as infections, ulcers etc. then yes the insurance will cover to have it removed. I had my eye lids lifted because of a medical condition that caused them to droop and the excess skin was interfering with my vision. I no longer look like I had a stroke. But until the skin got to the point where it was causing a decreased vision I couldn't get it done.

I have seen people get turned down for skin removal surgery while others get approved. It depends on the reason for the removal as well as how the claim is processed with the insurance. Discuss it with your doctor. Tell your doctor about any rash you may be getting in that area, is it getting in the way of doing daily tasks, is there an odor coming from the skin... all of this needs to be documented and can help you get approval from your insurance. You can't just walk in and say I want this removed because it looks horrible and get it approved. There has to be a medical reason/need to have it removed besides your vanity.

Hope this helps you get it approved.

As a former insurance adjuster this is pretty much right on, if it is medically necessary to remove for any health concern we pay, if not its considered cosmetic.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I got my Breast Augmentation through a great company in Thailand who Also does Tummy Tucks/skin removal, I think its around 5 000
    Before Anyone goes on about horror stories, The hospital and company I went through, my surgeon, nurses, and TT results I have seen have been top notch.

Hi - just wondering how you went about finding a suitable company? Would you be happy to tell me their name? Thanks
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    my husband has assured me that after I lose the weight, if I have lose skin that makes me unhappy, he will move heaven and earth to pay for surgery, even if it means working a second job....... and I am vain, so if I have loose skin, I will have the surgery no matter what we have to do to get the money for it
  • VNJohnson
    VNJohnson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had a full tummy tuck done in January and it was $5600. It was definitely worth the money!