WANTED: Low Sodium Pizza Sauce Recipe

Options
I poked around on google, but it seems the sites posting sauces are basically the same formulas.
I tried making one last night... using chopped garlic, chopped onion, basil, oregano, no salt added tomato sauce and no salt added tomato paste, but the end result was basically it tasted like no salt tomato sauce, which isn't the zesty spice ive come to love about pizza sauce.
So, if anyone has a better recipe, and has tried it, could you please post it here =) thanks.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    don't skip the salt
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    HI! Lately, since my garden is producing lovely bits, I don't use canned anything. I have found it to have a better flavor than my old standby. I posted my recipe (in grams as its more accurate) - the only thing I might suggest, because you want it for pizza rather than a marinara, is to cook it a little longer to thicken it more and you MAY want to increase the thyme and oregano a bit (my meatballs had enough spices that the sauce didn't need to be strong). Hope this helps :bigsmile:

Tomatoes (Fresh Raw) - Tomatoes 210 g
    Onions, Sweet 65 g
    Garlic - 1 Clove (two if they're small)
    Sea Salt 1/4 tsp
    Peppers, Sweet, Green, Raw, 20 g
    Dried Basil, 0.25 tsp
    Dried Crushed Thyme, 0.25 tsp
    Oregano - Dried 0.5 tsp
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Don't precook pizza sauce. Let it cook on the pizza.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Did you google zesty pizza sauce as the first recipe I looked at had paprika and wine vinegar in it. Might that help?
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I use canned tomatoes with some garlic, oregano, basil and a bit of salt. I use a potato masher to mush it up - makes it more sauce-like, but leaves it a bit chunky. Let it cook down til you're happy and go for it.
  • KisforKriss
    Options
    Is that the one on spark recipes?
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think it may have been. Sure you could add things like that to your recipe without adding lots of oil and sugar though. I'm quite happy with a basic sauce full of herbs and a good tasty cheese so I'm probably not going to be that much help lol
  • KisforKriss
    Options
    I think what i will do is try that one, buy both the no salt added and regular versions of the sauces and see which one i like best..
    trying to keep sodium as low as possible but i do love pizza.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    This is really, really simple but so good. I use it not just for my pizza but for my meatballs too!

Ingredients

2 cans (28 oz) Diced no salt added tomatoes
    2 TBS olive oil
    1 TBS honey
    5 cloves garlic, minced (or 5 tsp minced garlic from a jar)
    1-2 tsp basil paste
    1-2 tsp red pepper flakes (depends on how spicy you want it)
    1 tsp onion powder
    Parsley flakes (a few dashes)
    Salt and pepper to taste (I use a LOT of pepper and a pinch of salt)

Directions

1. Open tomatoes and drain 1 can thoroughly.
    2. Add all ingredients to medium sized saucepan on medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
    3. Once heated thoroughly, pour entire contents of saucepan into blender and pulse until mostly smooth.
    4. Pour back into saucepan and continue to simmer 20-30 minutes on low.
  • KisforKriss
    Options
    i pasted this into word pad, i will try this one also =)
  • JuliesInsulinResistance
    Options
    The last recipe sounds really good, I am watching my sodium intake as well so thanks, I clipped it to my Evernote page.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try these recipes also. Thanks for the info.
  • aprildiamond42
    aprildiamond42 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Instead of tomato sauce, I like to use low sodium V8 juice. It adds more flavor - and then, those same fresh ingredients many listed above, onions, peppers, basil, thyme, oregano, etc. Or if it's not thick enough for pizza, mix V8 with tomato sauce.
  • map928
    map928 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    try using a Salt sub in place of reg, salt might help
  • auntiecorri
    Options
    My husband has congestive heart failure and all our meals are very low sodium. this is our favorite pizza sauce recipe (freezes well)

PIzza Sauce

2 T Olive Oil
    1 T Garlic, Minced
    1/4 cup Onion, Finely Chopped
    1 cup No Salt Added Tomato Sauce (Hunts)
    1 tsp Oregano
    1 tsp Basil
    1/4 tsp Black Pepper
    2 T No Salt Added Tomato Paste (Hunts or Contadina)

In a medium saucepan, saute garlic and onions in olive oil until tender. Add seasonings and continue cooking a few more minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, and then tomato paste. Simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

http://www.lowsodiumcommunity.com/members/PizzaSauce.htm

Nutrition Facts:
    Serving Size: 1 Helping
    Servings Per Recipe: 12
    Amount Per Serving:
    Calories 33
    Calories from Fat 21
    Total Fat 2 gr
    Saturated Fat 0 gr
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 gr
    Monounsaturated Fat 2 gr
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Sodium 5 mg
    Potassium 115 mg
    Carbohydrates 3 gr
    Dietary Fiber 0.6gr
    Protein 0 gr 3%
  • KisforKriss
    Options
    My husband has congestive heart failure and all our meals are very low sodium. this is our favorite pizza sauce recipe (freezes well)

PIzza Sauce

2 T Olive Oil
    1 T Garlic, Minced
    1/4 cup Onion, Finely Chopped
    1 cup No Salt Added Tomato Sauce (Hunts)
    1 tsp Oregano
    1 tsp Basil
    1/4 tsp Black Pepper
    2 T No Salt Added Tomato Paste (Hunts or Contadina)

In a medium saucepan, saute garlic and onions in olive oil until tender. Add seasonings and continue cooking a few more minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, and then tomato paste. Simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

http://www.lowsodiumcommunity.com/members/PizzaSauce.htm

Nutrition Facts:
    Serving Size: 1 Helping
    Servings Per Recipe: 12
    Amount Per Serving:
    Calories 33
    Calories from Fat 21
    Total Fat 2 gr
    Saturated Fat 0 gr
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 gr
    Monounsaturated Fat 2 gr
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Sodium 5 mg
    Potassium 115 mg
    Carbohydrates 3 gr
    Dietary Fiber 0.6gr
    Protein 0 gr 3%

This was the exact recipe i tried last night and it tasted terrible lol. Threw it all in the trash D=
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Umm I may be weird but I just use tomato paste. You know the plain kind that comes in a jar? It always turns out good and so far no complaints. Sometimes if I want a little kick, I squeeze some hot chilli paste on there too and spread them around together.
  • anitasongs
    anitasongs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Take grape tomatoes, Garlic, olive oil and sea salt and mix ingredients and bake in toaster over for 20 min ..add basil, oregano or seasoning you like and then put on pizza. Natural low cal and soooo tasty... simple... make a lot and keep in refrig. Use tortillas to make small pizzas...