Howdy! New here and looking for support.

Options
I started on Nutrisystem a million years ago and lost a bunch of weight, which I then gained back and then some (100lbs total). I've been on and off of Weight Watchers for the past 10 years, and while I did manage to lose over 50 pounds, the weight again crept up for various reasons. I'm hoping this works for me--I downloaded the app yesterday and so far it seems so much more convenient than what I'd been doing before. And I'm lazy--the easier the better if I'm going to stick with it! :)

I'm a 44 year old female, 215 pounds, 5'7' and pretty fit until I had a skiing accident in March and had to have surgery--put on 20lbs since then (and a bit of self-loathing too!). I'm a little limited on the exercise until I'm fully healed, but doing what I can. My ultimate goal is around 150-160, muscle density depending. I mainly want to lose this weight for my health, but also to show myself that I can finally do this and keep the weight off, and don't have to "settle" for being overweight. :)

Replies

• SierraZulu
    Options
    Hey! Feel free to add me. I'm in a similar situation. I'm weeks away from 40, and was always really fit and athletic until I tore up my shoulder and lower back. The pounds crept on (of course most of them right in the stomach area!) and so did a bit of that self-loathing! ;) I went from a size 5 to 16 without really ever realizing it! Yikes! I've lost 8 lbs in the last two months and put on some muscle and am starting to see something that may yet turn into a waist! I have to modify some workouts for my shoulder and back, but I'm determined to push through. Would love to give and get more support! I don't want to "settle" either! :)
  • cloudbaby
    cloudbaby Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there, good to see you :smile: if you'd like to add my as a friend I'll gladly stick with you on our journey :happy: I have a bad ankle which plays me up so exercising has been on the back burner for a while but I'm going to give it a go now as I think it will help boost the weight loss - just going to have to be selective about what I do. Anyhow best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • lalichan
    Options
    Wow, sounds like you're doing great despite the injury! Congrats! Yes, I'll add you and definitely feel free to add me back! The more the merrier, especially when we're headed down the same path. :)

(Nothing like reaching a personal milestone and clearing the closets, only to have something like this happen and find you don't fit into your clothes anymore! Ugh, right? ;)
  • lalichan
    Options
    Cloudbaby, thanks for writing and I'll definitely add you as well! Sorry to hear about your ankle--there are definitely workarounds, so good luck to you! :)
  • SierraZulu
    Options
    Thanks! We can absolutely do it! :) I hear you about the clothes. I'm beginning to think I've accidentally started a clothing store! What size would you like those jeans in? I have the full range! LOL Something that I've found motivates me is trying on some of my skinnier clothes/accessories every month or so to see progress. Yesterday I found that the pearl choker I got from my mom years ago is no longer ummm... choking me! Yay! So that was encouraging and pushed me through that day's workout. Because some days I'd rather be lazy and need all the help I can get! How do you work around your injury while you're healing?
  • SierraZulu
    Options
    Hi cloudbaby,

There are definitely workarounds. A great way to do cardio and save your ankle is to do punches and jabs. It gets your heart rate up, but spares your lower body. Good luck and feel free to add me. :)

Ali
  • lalichan
    Options
    I agree that periodically trying on your "skinny" clothing is the best gauge and motivator out there! Congrats on the "choker" not "choking" so much! :) I've been going to physical therapy so they're giving me some exercises to do, plus I'm at the point where I can do some bicycling and elliptical at the gym, and I'm walking farther and farther. Plus a lot of strength training. Water aerobics is the best so far but it seems that every time I show up, the class is cancelled or too full! Kind of discouraging there...
  • Jcsmith5210
    Jcsmith5210 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi you can add me, just got back from holiday and been piggy out so will probably have to start over again. Forget to pack my will power. I have a foot problem which also plays havoc with my exercise program.
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Like most everything, it works if you stick to it. Feel free to add me. I am 50 and just a couple of months into the journey (This go round, anyway!)

Loretta
  • lalichan
    Options
    Weren't we supposed to have bonic implants by now? ;) I was hoping they would give me some during my knee surgery, but no such luck...

Loretta, wow, 19 pounds in a couple of months? That's incredible!
  • SierraZulu
    Options
    Wow! You're doing great! Congrats! :) And it's awesome that you're varying the workouts and strength training is so great at getting those muscles stronger. That is a bummer about the water aerobics. :( How about public swim on those occasions it's cancelled?
  • lalichan
    Options
    Thanks!! Unfortunately I'm not much of a swimmer, and I'm not "released" to do the kicks necessary anyway just yet. But once I am, I'm thinking of at least just getting one of those kickboards and using that!

Speaking of, I'm thinking to hit the gym a little later today...hoping that it's not too crowded!

How do you work around your injury?
  • SierraZulu
    Options
    Do what you can. Every little bit counts and before you know it, you'll be doing way more. You just build on each little thing. The kickboard is a great idea! Good luck on the gym! I hate when you have to wait a long time for a machine!

I do various modifications. After physio and tests, I have a better idea now of what I can and can't do. I'm allergic to anti-inflammatories which sucks with the bursitis. So, I have to ice down my shoulder after every workout to prevent inflammation because when that hits, it's agony and the pain ends up travelling up my neck and causes wicked headaches on top of it. I tore up the shoulder to the point where I still don't have full range of motion in it and overhead motion is still a struggle, but it's better than it was. So, I started with pilates and yoga, modifying poses so I didn't put full weight on my shoulders. Each week, I'd keep a pose longer or raise off my knees for a bit and then a bit longer next time, slowly strengthening the shoulder. Then, once I started circuit training, I'd do the moves without weights and modified to do push ups against a counter standing up so it was easier on the shoulder. Now, I can do them on my knees. And I'm doing 3 lb weights. That shoulder is weaker, so it's a slow build up and when I feel pain, beyond just sore muscles, I stop and ice. Basically, I push it but very slowly. And stretch a lot before and after a workout. The goal is to strengthen and regain as much flexibility as I can.

My lower back is now slightly crooked due to the injury, but after all the scans and X-rays, my doc decided it's not enough to risk surgery. So, I have to work on getting it strong. It goes out without rhyme or reason. A few weeks ago it went because I bent down to get something out of a lower cabinet. I never got back up! So, a lot of core work to get it strong. I do stretches from physio for it every day to keep it loose, and avoid full sit ups and deadlifts because those are too hard on the back for now. Crunches are fine but my back gives up before my abs. I work it as much as I can and use scary amounts of Tiger Balm ointment on it! :)
  • lalichan
    Options
    Luckily weekends aren't too bad--it's right after work that is difficult. I probably should just modify when I go. :)

That's awful that you're allergic to the anti-inflammatories, but I guess it's still good that you have a workaround with the icing. I'm glad to hear it's getting better though. Sounds like the back is a little rougher going, since it seems to have a mind of its own. You'll get there though--sounds like you have a great routine set up and a lot more patience than I do. ;)
  • want2lovemybody
    Options
    Add me!!!! Im looking to lose about 100!!!
  • kellz248
    kellz248 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    I currently need to lose a lot of weight. Doing so with a knee injury. I do elliptical swim and bike. Feel free to add. Would love to chat :)
  • Ether1227
    Options
    I will be 40 next year. I skied all growing up and have been a runner for 27 years and now my knees are shot too, one in particular. Have been going to a physical therapist, but my knee is not getting any better. Don't ya just hate injuries?! Please feel free to add me if you'd like and we can go on this journey together.
  • Mscotthoward
    Options
    Hi everyone. Just joined today and looking for friends for support and motivation.:smile:
  • melanieb8273
    Options
    Hi Everyone!! Looking for more motivation as well. I have psoriatic arthritis (similiar to rhemutoid arthritis) so sometimes makes it hard to do a lot of physical stuff. Anyone can feel free to add me as well. I am looking to lose approx 50 pounds
  • minimah7
    minimah7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi there, MFP friends. You may add me. I am all about being supportive and seek support. We can get to our destinations together. Whether one is seeking to lose weight, build muscle, change eating habits, gain weight or become more active; we can do this together. :wink: God bless you on your journey.