Best Breakfast Food?

Options
I usually eat low calories bagels or eggs or cheerios but that always ends up putting me over on my cholesterol, sugars, ect. What are some good foods for breakfast that will keep me full. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol from bagels and cheerios?

Unless you have cholesterol problems, you don't have to avoid it. That whole "High Cholesterol from foods" myth has been debunked long ago.

Same with sugars. If you are not on a medically ordered low sugar plan - as long as you keep your macros in line, enjoy your Cheerios (with some milk, for the protein).

As far as staying full; Protein and fiber with some fat works best.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Bacon and eggs! Keeps me full for hours and hours. :smile:
  • 63lab
    63lab Posts: 80
    Options
    it's not a secret that protein and fat will keep you from being hungry.
    just work your diet mainly around that.
    get carbs from fruit and veg.
    works a treat for me!
  • RachyD21
    RachyD21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I eat porridge (oatmeal) made with goat's milk for breakfast every morning with cinnamon and fruit. It is honestly the meal I look forward to most. If I could eat porridge for every meal I would, lol. Seriously though, it keeps you full and there's so many toppings you could add to mix it up :o)
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with some fruit can be filling. I also have to watch my cholesterol, so avocado is always a nice choice.
  • sag494
    sag494 Posts: 23
    Options
    well i was not told to watch anything but have been following the daily diet where it says you can only have so many grams of stuff a day. should i not worry about it and only worry about the calories cause i find i eat less calories...maybe only 1000 a day just to get in line with the other stuff
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Hmm, if it were me, I'd focus on the calories overall, and let the separate categories balance out at the end of the week. i don't eat stereotypical breakfast foods. i'm not a pancake and waffle person, don't like heavy bacon and eggs, omelets are boring no matter how much of the pantry you throw into it. my breakfast is just like lunch and dinner. anything i'd eat in the afternoon is on the menu in the morning as well.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I watch my fat and carbs closely, so love me an egg white omelette, with vegies, topped with a tablespoon of greek fat free yogurt. Yummy and keeps me full a long time!!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I love mixing up my breakfasts!

This morning I had a scramble with mushrooms, scallions, half of a jalapeno burger crumbled in it, parmesan cheese and tomato. I had a piece of toast and glass of milk on the side.

Yesterday I had a soutwestern style breakfast burrito.

The things that keep me full the longest tend to be pairing a protein source (egg whites, meat, eggs, etc) with vegetables, a high fiber complex carb (double fiber wheat bread, low carb/high fiber tortilla, high fiber cereal) and a source of moderate fat (avocado, reduced fat cheese)
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Lately, my breakfast has been white rice (or oatmeal), beans, eggs with a drizzling of olive oil and a glass of almond milk. Trying to keep my fructose/fructan and lactose consumption very low.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, cooked or scrambled eggs, whole wheat bread or bagel
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I had a pint of ice cream for breakfast and now my stomach hurts . Don't repeat my ignorance.
  • cv434
    cv434 Posts: 1
    Options
    Oatmeal with low fat milk and fresh fruit
  • sag494
    Options
    thanks for all the tips. i think i need to start eating egg whites or egg beaters cause two of my eggs already put me over cholesterol.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    You can manually set your macros in MFP, so you don't look at the levels of cholesterol, it's irrelevant. If anything, you should be eating MORE foods with high cholesterol, it will be good for you. Why are you so scared of cholesterol?
  • cjlarsen77
    cjlarsen77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here is my recipe for a great tasting high fiber hot cereal with a hint of oat flavor (without oatmeal gluey texture). High in Potassium and Iron. Very low fat. No cholesterol.
    Cream of wheat w/oatbran, Lite salt, cooked w/ 1 3/4 cup water (includes potassium info)
    Ingredients:
    1 3/4 cups water
    Morton Lite salt 1/4 tsp
    Bob's Red Mill - Oat Bran Hot Cereal, 2 tbsp
    Cream of Wheat - Enriched Farina 2.5 Minute With Potassium Information, 4 tbsp
    (this is just regular 2.5 minute cream of wheat, but I looked up the amount of potassium in wheat farina and added that info)
    Directions:
    1 2/3 cups water + Lite salt: BRING to Boil
    Bob's Red Mill - Oat Bran Hot Cereal, 1/8 cup: ADD and stir
    Cream of Wheat - Enriched Farina 2.5 Minute With Potassium Information, 4 tbsp: ADD very slowly while stirring.
    Cook about 3 minutes more.

Ladle into a bowl and, if desired, sprinkle brown sugar on top.
    This makes a big bowl of cereal. You may want to go with 3/4 of this recipe - but keep 1.5 cups of water.
  • sairamejia12
    sairamejia12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    pancakes!!! i make my own pancakes every morning with peanut butter
  • sag494
    Options
    i'm not scared I just thought I had to follow all of those and not go over those as well. It's been hard because I haven't bee eating 200-300 of my 1200 calories a day so I don't go over fiber, sugars, or protein. Fat and carbs I never go over and chl I only go over if I have two eggs. Should I just focus on the calories and ignore that stuff?
  • Widadita
    Widadita Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal! Best there is!