Another newbie

Options
Hello everyone

My name is Lynsey and I am new to this weight-loss thing! I hope to lose quite a bit of weight to get me back down to 140 lbs. I am 5 ft 7.7" and currently weigh 166lb. I am only ever so slightly overweight, according to my doctor, but it is important to me to lose this, as several members of my family have died of weight-related illnesses. The most recent being my father, who died aged 67 following a long struggle with coronary heart disease. That shocked me into action. Prevention is better than cure.

With regard to lifestyle/other interests, I am doing a history of medicine PhD, which involves me sitting on my backside a lot, reading documents, and writing up my thesis. I enjoy cycling (in Oxford it is really a must), walking, aqua aerobics, and I go to the gym around 3 times a week. I hope to link up with some of you guys and to learn from your experiences.

Best wishes

Lynsey

Replies

• KayLynn56
    KayLynn56 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request! I'm also working on my PhD (immunology) - so I totally get the whole day spent reading/writing!
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Perfect time to start dropping that weight. Sorry to hear about your father. Like you said prevention is a much better alternative. I can attest to how MFP helps drop the weight. A month in and 12 pounds melted right off through mainly dieting and kicking some foods/drinks out that I never realized were putting me over the calorie threshold. Awesome that you got started...you can do it!
  • Ravenous4Captain
    Ravenous4Captain Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hiya. I've been a member since January and have lost about 26 lbs. It definitely works. It also helps having a great support system. Anyone can feel free to add me. :bigsmile:
  • travisgenetix
    Options
    Lynsie,

Welcome to the community! My Fitness Pal is a great tool to keep yourself motivated and keep your eyes on the prize. Good luck, and we all look forward to following your results! :glasses: :glasses: :glasses:
  • classicbizz
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind welcome. I am sure that with nice people like you in the community, I will find this much easier than anticipated.
  • martaducak1
    martaducak1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello All. My name Is Marta, I'm a 28 year old ex cheerleader who has always been a bit "fluffy" although, now at this point, I look back at my pics of when I was in high school and college (when I thought i was soooo big) and i would DIE to look like that again. THAT was not fat, THIS is! I am now almost 30 kilos overweight (I say kilos bc I live in Europe :) Anyway, I am trying desperately to get under 55 kilos so I can finally be happy by my 30th birthday. I have tried and tried and failed and failed (Im sure everyone has been there) I have also been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease recently which is a bummer, but what sucks, is that my TSH level is still in the top of the "ok" range and is not above it to where I need hormone replacement. So basically my thyroid is under-active and I cant do anything about it! Which REALLY sucks. BUT i want to work through that. I want to ignore that and not make anymore excuses because I KNOW i can. I know what to do and how to do it (I was a personal trainer back in my prime) but I just need to motivation to do it! So all those out there who can relate.. please friend me as I need the motivation and I am always there to offer motivation and my professional advise as far as training goes!
  • nhenryoliver
    nhenryoliver Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm a science teacher with a MSc.
    sorry to hear about your father. I am following a similar journey, in not being that much overweight, but wanting to slim down.
    Good luck