Running on a track is so hard!

Options
I don't get it..
Last night I went out to the track and could barely run a half mile before I had to stop and walk, I was really struggling. Then another lady showed up and I decided to run around the school instead (im still new to running so I'm self conscious about it, even though I probably shouldn't be), anyways I ended up running two miles, only stopping once for a quick water break.

Does anyone else have trouble running on the track?

Replies

• law1558
    law1558 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I find that running is sooooo mental! I can psych myself out of a good run with little to no effort! :)

There are some great aps that will track your distance run, based on GPS, if you carry your phone with you - I like SportsTracker and MapMyFitness.

One great thing about running on a track, though, is that they are usually made from materials that are easier on your joints than running on the sidewalk or street. Maybe keep a track-run to once every couple weeks, if you find they mess with your mind! :)
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I find running in circles (track) doesn't keep me interested any more than the treadmill does. A run through town or out in the country tends to keep my mind active and into the run. I will use the track the odd time to run intervals but usually set up my Garmin for that so I can avoid the track altogether.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Try the road or some trails. If you got through two miles you can get out on the road just fine! :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    what other surfaces are we comparing it to?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    what other surfaces are we comparing it to?

Clouds and/or peanut butter would be my two best guesses.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I hate running on tracks. It's like the boredom of a treadmill without the luxury of a TV to watch. I will only do it for sprints.

(Well, I also did it for a while when I was rehabbing an ankle injury because it's a soft, stable surface.)

Ditch the track. See the world!
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Music makes a HUGE difference for me. If I don't have my headphones I'm totally worthless.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I found running outside a lot harder than he treadmill but a lot more interesting. I wonder if the monotony of a track is boring you?
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It is the only place I can run. I like the cushion of the track as well as the built in counting ;-) I move over a lane each lap. I end up anywhere from 3-4 miles. I use head phones so boring scenery isn't the issue. It has proven a blessing to my old knees vs sidewalk or road.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I ran cross country and time trials on track I was always worse than out in nature. It's something about being able to be distracted and feel like I am getting somewhere. I can just get out of my mind....and the running becomes peaceful. When I am on track I think I just get so caught up in the number of laps and it gets so repetitive. I think it's definitely mental..
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I hate running on tracks. It's like the boredom of a treadmill without the luxury of a TV to watch. I will only do it for sprints.

(Well, I also did it for a while when I was rehabbing an ankle injury because it's a soft, stable surface.)

STAHP THE TRACK SHAMING
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    You know how, when you get to the end of your run, you see your goal and kind of run a bit faster to get there? (at least, that's what I do). Maybe running on a track makes you think you're close to your end when you aren't and so you're putting more effort into it and tiring faster. Just a weird idea.

I prefer to run on a running trail or in my neighborhood. If I must run indoors, a track is better than a treadmill (yes, I've had access to an indoor track. 7.5 laps per mile, it got really tedious really fast, but still…) It feels like running on a track is closer than treadmill to the kind of running I'll be doing when I finally get back into 5k and 10k and work up to larger races, but maybe I'm just fooling myself :laugh:
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The track is not for running a typical workout. You use it for intervals with the intention of getting faster. If you show up just to run your normal pace, then I can see why it might be boring but that is not its primary purpose.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

STAHP THE TRACK SHAMING

I feel victimized and bullied by this post.
  • blt0087
    blt0087 Posts: 115
    Options
    You know how, when you get to the end of your run, you see your goal and kind of run a bit faster to get there? (at least, that's what I do). Maybe running on a track makes you think you're close to your end when you aren't and so you're putting more effort into it and tiring faster. Just a weird idea.

I prefer to run on a running trail or in my neighborhood. If I must run indoors, a track is better than a treadmill (yes, I've had access to an indoor track. 7.5 laps per mile, it got really tedious really fast, but still…) It feels like running on a track is closer than treadmill to the kind of running I'll be doing when I finally get back into 5k and 10k and work up to larger races, but maybe I'm just fooling myself :laugh:

I think you're right about running faster. I went out for a night run, did one mile around the school..no problem. Got onto the track thinking "ok, its just a mind game..I got this" I found myself trying to run faster than I usually do. So I think you're onto something there. Also I use the track at the local middle school, so its not a nice paved one..its like weird gravel/dirt. As soon as I stepped foot onto it, it felt like I was running through mud..or peanut butter as one poster said :tongue:
    I usually run on the sidewalk and road that goes around the school.
  • fitnessfromfreedom
    Options
    Wow, I'm going to be honest that I LOVE the track. I never had one until I got to high school running Cross Country trials and it was so nice to have so I could gaugue progress better. I loved that about it and that I could plug in the music (can't run without music personally) and just zone out into lala land and enjoy the pavement and actually focus for once.

I just love the track because it's LESS distraction, which is honestly why I run, to feel focused on something for once because I'm so scattered. It provides a world with less distractions/stresses/demands/etc. It's more difficult I agree, mentally, but it's a challenge that you can overcome and strengthen your focus from - definitely worth it.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Tracks are fun! Good people watching on those as you zoom past or get passed.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I get beyond bored running on a track and it makes it way harder for me. The longest I've ever been able to go on a track (when not doing C25K coaching for people) was two miles. And it was REALLY hard to get through those two miles. Not that I can't do that distance, it was actually my last casual run before a half marathon. But the power was out in the fitness center in my apartment building, the gym I tried to go to was maxed out on people on treadmills and the trail was closed due to it being dark. So I went to the track.

It was just so monotonous that it made it feel like I was running miles and miles and that it was taking forever. I got to the end of that eighth lap and was so anxious to get away from there that I didn't even do a lap or two to cool down, I ran straight off the track, got to my car, and got home.

I'd say to try finding a local trail or someplace that you could run without the forced stops of street corners, and give running a try there. I find that the more engaged I am in things that aren't my actual running, the easier the running is. It's why I stream movies and TV shows when I'm on a treadmill, it makes the time fly by.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I actually liked running on a track better than the road, but everybody is different.