are there not that mean vegetarians out there??? 3rd post

Options
I meant are there not that many vegetarians out there???? It will let me edit the body of the topic but not the title.... I feel like a total ReRe!!! So sorry guys!!!

Ok, i recently decide to try and go semi-vegetarian... my concerns are what is considered enough protein??? I know you can get protein from other places than meat but im a little concerned that i will not get enough and was wondering how much i should shot for in a day!!! For now im still having milk, cheese, eggs, seafood.... and maybe some chicken (not sure bout it)!!! Like i said im going for semi-vegetarian to start and maybe do a little more later!!! Any advice or tips on how to make this an easy transition is appreciated!!! Since this past sunday i have not had any meat other than a little imitation crab meat in my california roll last night. Do i need to take any supplements or things of that nature??? Thanks!!!!

Replies

• MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think you need to change your heading to "many"....:wink:
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I really like Think Thin protein bars. I've been a vegetarian since the age of 5 but have only recently discovered these little gems. They're 230-240 calories, 20g protein, 0g sugar, roughly 35% iron, and tons more nutrients. Don't think you need to turn to tofu and tofu alone for protein if you're going vegetarian...get creative! Edamame, black beans, and so on :) Feel free to check out my food diary if you want more ideas. I will say that these last several days have been slightly off for me food-wise but in general I get about 75g of protein a day.

Good luck on your journey!
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I think you need to change your heading to "many"....:wink:

I wanted to but it wouldnt let me change it.... do you know a way of deleting or changing it!!!
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    I used the MFP recommendation for protein and ate a lot of beans, nuts, seeds, quinoa, and protein shakes on gym days. Getting enough protein is no big deal but I would recommend tracking what you eat just to be sure. (This is all past tense because I added chicken and fish back into my diet recently!)

Also, you risk being deficient in B12 and iron. A multivitamin (which you should be taking already!!) should cover the iron, and you can take a B12 supplement.
  • sangrea
    sangrea Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I grew up vegetarian and im semi-vegetarian now. I eat chicken turkey and fish and I also eat eggs cheese and milk (thou been using almond milk recently cause its almond breeze unsweeten vanilla is only 40 cal. for 8 oz very good in smoothies). I think i always reach my amount of protein i should me eating according to MFP. Most days the extent of meat I have is in the sandwhich i take to work.
    There are many ways to get your protein with out meat especially if you still eat dairy. Rice and beans are considered a complete protein cause your body can easily use it. A lot of fruit has protein in it as well and i eat a lot of fruit (fresh). Morning Star has many different vegetarian meat options and i think they taste pretty good You can find them in the fozen food section at wal-mart and other grocery stores. Earier this week I had there spicy black bean burger which had 11 grams per burger and the thin sliced smoked turkey I had yesterday only had 9 grams per serving.
    Dont know if i this was of any help but your not alone out there. Let me know if i can help you out in any way.
    Cheri
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemade-Black-Bean-Veggie-Burgers/Detail.aspx

Here is a black bean burger recipe that I LOVE! I would make a double batch and freeze them for easy, fast meals later.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemade-Black-Bean-Veggie-Burgers/Detail.aspx

Here is a black bean burger recipe that I LOVE! I would make a double batch and freeze them for easy, fast meals later.

Thanks so much!!!!