wedding dress, weightloss, and alterations... HELP!

Options
Hi fellow MFPers! I have a predicament and need some advice.

My wedding is in November of this year. Since I started exercising and eating better I have lost a total of 40 lbs. The predicament is I need to have the bust altered on my dress (since I lost some boobage along the way D: *tear) The alteration is expensive. Since the bust has to be removed from the dress, sized down and reattached it's going to cost $125. We are on a very tight budget and I am afraid that if I lose more weight or my tata's shrink anymore I'd have to get it altered again and I just don't have the money to pay for it twice. Should I just stay at the weight that I am and maintain until my wedding date, or keep losing and hope they don't shrink anymore. I still have quite a ways to go before I am at my goal (25-30 lbs more to go.) Any input on what I should do would be appreciated as I am so torn. Thank you!

Replies

• Courtney011691
    Options
    My thought is try to maintain once you go in for alterations. Although it would be awesome to continue losing weight before your wedding it would also suck to pay for alterations twice. Do you know how long it will take them? I would put it off as long as possible so you can keep losing weight before the alterations. Is the back a corset top? If so you could probably have it taken in a little more than you would like so when you do lose weight you can just pull it tighter to make the dress fit.
  • roxweb
    roxweb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Is it possible for you to wait and have the alterations done closer to the wedding date? That way, you can still lose some weight and only alter once.
  • Veslus
    Veslus Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've heard that one of the most common mistakes a bride can make is losing too much weight after purchasing the dress.

I'd say that once you have the dress altered, work to maintain your weight. I'm sure you're going to look absolutely gorgeous in your dress regardless, but it'll look the best if it fits perfectly. :)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is just a guys quick fix answer to save you some money. It is only for the wedding so stuff your bra and wear the dress as is. Why get it changed if you do not know if it will fit by november even if you have it done.
  • brigit628
    brigit628 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry. Hold off alterations as long as you can. A good bra will work wonders, worse comes to worse you can always get those fake boob inserts, you know the ones that look like chicken cutlets.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Can you get a different estimate on the alterations? I assume this is the shop where you purchased the dress. The only reason I say this is a few years ago I was in a wedding. I wore about a size 8 at the time. Somehow my dress came in as a size 18 and we had no time to send it back for another. I found an AMAZING tailor in my town who basically took apart the entire dress and reconstructed it for $160. So that was for an entire dress...I imagine the bust work could be less expensive somewhere else?
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this! It's not my wedding dress, but I am the mother of the bride. I bought my dress in February. It fit perfectly. I went in mid June to try it on ( it had just come in), it was way too big! They basically had to rebuild the top of my dress. Four inches were taken out of the back and straps had to be taken up. Tons of work.

So, I agree with the other posts. Ask the dress shop how long it would take and how long they can wait to get started. From there, hopefully, you'll be happier with your progress to that point.

Also, I lost most of my " ta ta " weight at first. It has leveled off from that point of view. But, it's not just the bust, the back fat plays a huge roll ( excuse the pun) in how your dress will fit. You'll be gorgeous.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your insight, opinions, and recommendations. I went to another alterations place. The woman was very nice. She helped me try on my dress, and after seeing it on me she said the bust definitely needs to be altered, but everywhere else it fits me perfectly and that if I were to lose more weight the dress would be too big altogether! I asked her how much it would cost to alter the bust, and alter the dress if I were to lose more weight. She said only $150 and 1 month to do the work! That is much better than what the original shop told me. So now I have 2 1/2 months to do what I can to look my best. Thanks again to everyone who answered:flowerforyou: