South Beach Diet

Options
tlog73
tlog73 Posts: 34 Member
Hi all....just looking for a few opinions on this please. I am thinking about trying SB (haven't done it in many years) just to try and kick start something. Right now I try and follow WW ideas, don't get me wrong with summer and company I haven't been doing well. Has anyone had good success on SB or bad experience.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    As far as "diets" go, SB is a pretty healthy one. I could never stick with it though. I'm too much of a cereal junkie.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Weight loss boils down to fewer calories in than calories out (eat at a deficit). That being said, South Beach/low carb is an easy way for me to maintain that deficit.
    I don't follow any plan exclusively, but come closest to following The Four Corners Diet. Eating similar to this program, I lose consistently, I have dropped my blood sugar 25 points, my cholesterol 75 points, and my triglycerides 125 points (in only three months). It works for me!
    http://www.amazon.com/Four-Corners-Diet-Low-Carb-ebook/dp/B001JAHMV0/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1375975574

Good luck to you,
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've known people who have tried South Beach, specifically, and I does not provide enough energy. Your body reacts poorly to a lack of any sugar at all, and people will notice your lethargy and perhaps even a shorter temper. Also, the first week of this diet kills muscles and doesn't do much for fat.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist recommended SB for me. He said I was on the verg if metabolic syndrome because of all the fat I have arounbd my middle and boarderline high B/P.
    I suppose if he recommends it, it has to be pretty good.

Good luck!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Eating at a reasonable caloric deficit should work just as well, so long as you don't have a metabolic issue.

If you have diabetes or insulin resistance, I think South Beach is a great way to go. I have read up on it, and what I do now is quite similar (keeping my carbs at around 100g/day or under) - I need to do this due to having PCOS and insulin resistance.
  • ELVISDEAN
    Options
    one of the WORST diets its simply old rehashed unhealthy ineffective atkins bull****..STAY away
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Each to their own. What suits one persons metabolism or lifestyle may nor suit another's.
    it's only by giving it a fair chance that you will find whether it is sustainable and appropriate for you!
  • clemson20
    Options
    I had went on the South Beach diet for two weeks with my doctor and I lost the first week.
    The second week I started gaining back on it.
    I need a 1300 calorie diet I can do.
    What are some good diets to look up or suggestions I can do at my meals and snacks?
    I appreciate the help.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Some people respond well to it, some people don't. It's not necessary, but at the same time, some people prefer it to traditional calorie restriction or flexible dieting. There's no harm in trying it to see if you like it, it's basically all personal preference.