What the *&^%?? Why EVEN EXERCISE?

Options
Okay so I have a question that I been holding off on for a while because i felt it was an ignorant question. But being that I still don’t understand, I felt that someone may be able to enlighten me on the topis or somehow explain to me in such a way that I “get” it.

Okay, so here it is : WHAT is the point of exercising, if I’m going to be forced to eat all my calories back?

My calorie budget it 1200 a day, and I thought the point of exercising was to burn calories in an attempt to lose weight? Right?

When I complete a workout, its like okay, now I HAVE to eat 2000 calories? Isn’t this defeating the whole purpose of me working out? Don’t I work out for the sake of the calorie deficit?

I figure if I’m supposed to eat these calories back, then I might as well just not work out and stay under 1200 calories right? Am I missing something here?

I have been trying to figure this out for the longest…. I understand I don’t HAVE to eat the calories back, but I just want to know why I am “supposed” to... Thanks for feedback in advance !!:smile:

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates you at a deficit to begin with. It is designed for its users to eat their exercise calories back because creating too large a deficit is counterproductive. Exercise has many benefits but you could lose weight without it.

MFP's formula can be found on the Goals page.
  • hope002
    hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I exercise so I don't lose my muscle mass, just the fat.
  • KisforKriss
    Options
    you already have a negative calorie deficit, a bigger deficit doesn't mean its better for you, your body needs fuel to run.
    Excersize is just to keep toned, so you're not just thin and still flabby and saggy by the end of it.
  • zombieman72
    zombieman72 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i thought the same. however i have never eaten them back spite what this program says try and stay under 1500 calories and exercise daily and you should be good. its done wonders for me already down 30 pounds
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Exercise is also good for your bones, moods, and also your over all health.
  • MeowSkull
    MeowSkull Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time figuring it out as well, so I just eat back enough so I "NET" 1200-1400 per day. Although recently I've been only netting 1000-1100 and it's stalled my losses.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Your goal of 1200 calories already has a deficit built in.

Example:

Let's say that you would maintain your current weight by eating 2000 calories. (That's a completely random number, as I don't know your stats.)

You then tell MFP that you want to lose, say, a pound a week. Because you need to create a deficit of 3500 calories per week to lose one pound, MFP will take 500 calories off of your daily goal.

So now you're eating 1500 calories per day. Even if you don't exercise, you're eating at a deficit and you'll lose weight.

Now let's say that you exercise and burn off 500 calories. Your net calories are now just 1000. That's a deficit of 1000 calories, which in your case is probably too big. (When it comes to deficits, larger is not always better.)

So you eat back those 500 calories. Now you've consumed 2000 calories, but burned off 500 through exercise, leaving you with a net of 1500. You're now on track to lose one pound per week, as you originally planned.

ETA: HOWEVER,

If you really don't want to bother with eating your exercise calories back, you can set a fixed calorie goal based on your total daily energy expenditure, or TDEE. This is the method I use (along with many other MFP members).

Search "in place of a road map" on the forums for more information on that method.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Exercise is also good for your bones, moods, and also your over all health.

Agreed. Exercise is very good for physical and mental health. You can lose weight without it, but most people would suggest undertaking some sort of exercise to help both aspects of your health.
  • temple_n
    temple_n Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is a stupid question. You are going to get a lot of information from this post. Let's just say that we know for sure that exercise is good for you (good for your heart at the very least). It is also true that your body needs nutrition in order to function properly and that a net calorie intake of less than 1200 is probably not good for you (not enough nutrients). A very basic answer to your question is simply this: please don't end the day at a net of less than 1200 calories and it would be even more beneficial if the quality of those calories is high (nutrient dense and not junk). I am also interested what others have to say in answer to your question. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked (We've all heard this, I'm sure).
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    There are many people here who do not exercise to achieve their weight loss. But, I think it's important to remember that exercise really isn't about weight loss -- it's more about fitness. Food is much better for weight loss. They work together but definitely exercise for health and fitness!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    If you start at 1200 and after exercise, you now have 2000 calories, it sounds like you're burning roughly 800 calories in exercise… am I getting that right?

So imagine telling someone who wasn't exercising to eat 400-600 calories a day. Most people would say this sounds like a bad idea. But burning 600-800 calories in exercise and then only eating 1200 is pretty much the same thing, because it's leaving that little amount for all your body processes -- heart beating, breathing, kidneys and liver, immune system, etc.

If you don't like the idea of eating back calories, I would suggest going to one of the TDEE calculators (you can google TDEE calculator) and entering in all of your stats. Include how often you exercise in your activity level (this is where the big difference comes from - MFP doesn't include exercise and adds it back in after, most TDEE calculators add it in before and you don't "eat them back") and set it for 15% to 20% reduction. It'll probably give you something around 1600-1800 calories (just a guess). Then go to your settings and do custom goals, and enter that in as your calorie goal, and feel free to ignore your exercise calories!! :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for physical fitness, not for weight loss.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It's not that hard. You exercise so you can eat more while still being at a reasonable deficit. I dont want to eat only 1200 a day so I exercise for 300 cals.. now I can have 1500 cals today.
  • klainef
    klainef Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We need the exercise to help burn the fat you already have and to help tone up your muscles and strengthen bones. By exercising, you also boost your energy/stamina levels, and improve non-physical areas like sleeping better and improving moods.

Since exercise can make you hungry and not enough calories can put you in starvation mode, we are given more in our calorie budget, but by no means are we required to eat it all. I've got the same net calorie goal as you (1280), but despite burning 789 calories today in exercise, I only netted 825. If I didn't exercise, that number would normally give me big red letters saying that I'm essentially starving myself, but the exercise makes a lower net not so bad (I did eat more than my net, but the exercise cancelled it out and still lowered my net).

I hope this helps to clear things up a bit.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    1) Rage less
    2) Learn More
    3) Profit
  • karmelkutie310
    karmelkutie310 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Your goal of 1200 calories already has a deficit built in.

Example:

Let's say that you would maintain your current weight by eating 2000 calories. (That's a completely random number, as I don't know your stats.)

You then tell MFP that you want to lose, say, a pound a week. Because you need to create a deficit of 3500 calories per week to lose one pound, MFP will take 500 calories off of your daily goal.

So now you're eating 1500 calories per day. Even if you don't exercise, you're eating at a deficit and you'll lose weight.

Now let's say that you exercise and burn off 500 calories. Your net calories are now just 1000. That's a deficit of 1000 calories, which in your case is probably too big. (When it comes to deficits, larger is not always better.)

So you eat back those 500 calories. Now you've consumed 2000 calories, but burned off 500 through exercise, leaving you with a net of 1500. You're now on track to lose one pound per week, as you originally planned.

ETA: HOWEVER,

If you really don't want to bother with eating your exercise calories back, you can set a fixed calorie goal based on your total daily energy expenditure, or TDEE. This is the method I use (along with many other MFP members).

Search "in place of a road map" on the forums for more information on that method.

THANK YOU SO MUCH !! I APPRECIATE ALL THE OTHER POSTS, BUT NOW I ACTUALLY “GET IT” I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND !!
  • karmelkutie310
    Options
    I don't think this is a stupid question. You are going to get a lot of information from this post. Let's just say that we know for sure that exercise is good for you (good for your heart at the very least). It is also true that your body needs nutrition in order to function properly and that a net calorie intake of less than 1200 is probably not good for you (not enough nutrients). A very basic answer to your question is simply this: please don't end the day at a net of less than 1200 calories and it would be even more beneficial if the quality of those calories is high (nutrient dense and not junk). I am also interested what others have to say in answer to your question. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked (We've all heard this, I'm sure).

• maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I haven't been completely convinced of the wisdom of eating back exercise calories either. If you do a google search on "eating back exercise calories," you'll see that there is some controversy about it.

One reason might be that if you exercise a lot you will likely get more hungry, and if you try to cut down too much on calories you could be setting yourself up for a binge.

However, one of my main concerns about eating back all of my calories is how accurate is the calorie estimate? I went for a long walk today and my pedometer said I burned 600 calories, MFP said it was 520. Now 80 calories isn't a huge deal, but over the course of a year it would add up. So I decided that I'll eat back some of them, sometimes, and I've been losing at a consistent, but safe rate so I figure I'm doing OK.
  • karmelkutie310
    Options
    If you start at 1200 and after exercise, you now have 2000 calories, it sounds like you're burning roughly 800 calories in exercise… am I getting that right?

So imagine telling someone who wasn't exercising to eat 400-600 calories a day. Most people would say this sounds like a bad idea. But burning 600-800 calories in exercise and then only eating 1200 is pretty much the same thing, because it's leaving that little amount for all your body processes -- heart beating, breathing, kidneys and liver, immune system, etc.

If you don't like the idea of eating back calories, I would suggest going to one of the TDEE calculators (you can google TDEE calculator) and entering in all of your stats. Include how often you exercise in your activity level (this is where the big difference comes from - MFP doesn't include exercise and adds it back in after, most TDEE calculators add it in before and you don't "eat them back") and set it for 15% to 20% reduction. It'll probably give you something around 1600-1800 calories (just a guess). Then go to your settings and do custom goals, and enter that in as your calorie goal, and feel free to ignore your exercise calories!! :wink: :flowerforyou:

thank you !! I should’ve asked this question a long time ago, I’m getting so much info…. never even heard of tdee… thanks !
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If your goal is simply to see a lower number on the scale, then there really is no point to exercise.

But if your goal is to be healthy, to like what you see when you look in the mirror, to have energy, then exercise is key.

My doctor told me 90% of my weight loss will be from nutrition. She said the purpose of exercise is to give me a body I'll be happy with after I lose the weight.