night shift and weight gain

Options
i work the night shift and my circadic rythums all off. My metabolism is slowing down. i am so frusterated i had lost 15 lbs but gained 10 of it back when i went to night shift. I was on evening shift. I know nights plays havoc on your metabolism and my age doesn't help Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Get a new job! Now we know thats not going to happen very soon. Had the same problem years ago, tryed to stay in some kind of regular routine. Make a schedule[sleeping, eating , exercising, etc. Don't change from it. Found this helped out some, can't change how the body operates. Know this is no help, but try to work with it. By the way, ended up quiting and finding new job.[day time] My health was more important to me then the job I really loved!
    Remember it is still calories in vs. calories out,it is just more challenging.....
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I work night shift on a two week on two week off rotation. While it is a little more difficult to lose it's still totally do-able. Now maybe this only works for me but I eat slightly a little different than I would normally. while I'm working, I'll get up in the evening and have breakfast..NOT SUPPER, which is usually a Vega shake and a piece of fruit. Then around midnight I'll have something more like you'd eat at supper time. Now I find I don't get as hungry on the night shift, so my meals are much smaller. Then while everyone else is having breakfast, I'll have some more fruit. This way I'm not going to bed on a big meal. Now, I don't know what you do for work or how your schedule runs, but I do 12 hour shifts, so when my shift is over, I'm beat so I'll go back to my cabin (I work offshore) do 30 mins of power yoga, shower and then hit the bunk. I found it hard at first, but once I found what worked for me I'm doing okay. I say just tweak things here and there til you find something that works for you. Or like was already said, you could find a new job, however that's not always an option now-a-days. Good Luck to you. I'm sure you'll make out just fine.
  • GrayJohn
    Options
    I also work night shifts, as you can see I have managed to lose big. Drink lots of water throughout your shift, and also take your own food in. Fruit is good and also a sandwich of some sort around 2am helps. I finish at 7am so eating around 2am so I think to myself it's 6pm and I go to bed at 11pm so not allowed anything more after that. 2am is my cut off time.

It's totally do-able, keep at it!
  • prprncss84
    prprncss84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I work overnights and I had to create a schedule. Its actually the same as anyone working days, but the hours are just different. The only thing to remember is that you have to stick with it and try not to stay awake during the day just because others are awake. I know some people on our shift try this and only manage to get like 4-5 hours of sleep a night. Thier always eating trying boost thier energy levels.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I also work the night shift and have for 11 years. I bring my own food and no money so I am not tempted to his the vending machines. Since I work a week on and a week off I have to do some creative switching of meals but it is possible. I walk briskly on my breaks and do a lot of walking on the job anyway. Also I have been lucky as most of the staff I work with are now trying to eat healthy, gone for the most part are all those fattening potlucks. Good luck.
  • dresdenkali
    Options
    I work overnights and I had to create a schedule. Its actually the same as anyone working days, but the hours are just different. The only thing to remember is that you have to stick with it and try not to stay awake during the day just because others are awake. I know some people on our shift try this and only manage to get like 4-5 hours of sleep a night. Thier always eating trying boost thier energy levels.

^ This pretty much sums it up for me. My own food and lots of water. Also, I try and take 3 10 minute breaks to go for a good walk during the night. I find this helps with what to me has felt like a lot more sitting. I mean what are you going to do in the middle of the night? Chill out at wal-mart? I try to stay strictly on night shift. Its not been easy on me or my better half all these years, but it takes some of the sting out of your mental stress.
  • purplespeckle
    Options

^ This pretty much sums it up for me. My own food and lots of water. Also, I try and take 3 10 minute breaks to go for a good walk during the night. I find this helps with what to me has felt like a lot more sitting. I mean what are you going to do in the middle of the night? Chill out at wal-mart? I try to stay strictly on night shift. Its not been easy on me or my better half all these years, but it takes some of the sting out of your mental stress.

You're almost at your goal! Wow, congrats!
  • socalledauthor
    socalledauthor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I woudl suggest keeping a closer eye on what you eat. People who aren't getting much sleep eat more-- the body tries to find energy by increasing the calories, when really, it's just a sleep thing. I;ve done this to my self recently when my son stopped sleeping for 2 hr naps and started only sleeping 45 min x2 for his naps-- we both get up at th 45min mark, tired and cranky. He's okay after another 45 min, I'm still tired and out of energy. So I eat. All day, I'm snacking and racking up extra calories. Doesn't help with how I feel. (Now that I'm aware of the problem, I have to try harder to stop myself!)

I worked nights for 10 years as well. Stay away from vending machine fare and any 24hr fast food joints. Find healthy things to eat or cook when you're tired-- don't just stop at McD's for 'breakfast' when you get off work, for example. When I'm short on time, I love making 2x or 4x quantities of my favorite recipes once a week and having them in portion sized bins in the fridge. This way, I can't justify eating out because "I'm too tired to cook" b/c it's impossible to be too tired to microwave something!

Lastly, watch out for caffinated drinks. If you're using Coffee (with sugar, cream, etc) or Mt. Dew or energy drinks to help you stay away, you're adding extra calories in quantities you may not realize.

Best of luck. And can I say it? I totally miss working midnights. I loved being on the midnight shift...