For whoever has lost or is trying to lose 50-80 lbs.

Options
Have you had ups and downs? Or did you stay focussed the whole time..I've lost 22 pounds and still have 50 more to go...beginning to lack motivation because I've been so busy with work. I need to change this...if you did have downs like these, or a week where you would binge, how do you get yourself up from your motivation slump?

Replies

• FigMagician
    Options
    oh gosh yes we all plateau and that tends to make us feel down. Try adding a new routine to your work out and some different foods. Throw your body off a bit by eating more (healthy foods) on certain days so that you don't plateau and exercising differently. Also it helps if you can find a hobby where you are active, yet not really thinking about it.
  • jackieg218
    jackieg218 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Of course I had my times that I wanted to shove an entire cake in my face and say screw this.... But I didn't lol. I take one meal,once a month to say screw it. But it's one MEAL and its only once a month... I just be sure it's a resturant meal (eventually I need to leave and the meal is over) heck, one time I did a pizza buffet and had 5 slices of pizza and about 8 bread sticks!!! But it was just the one time during the month. For me, it helps me remain focused on the rest of the month... I know plenty on here that do a binge day once a week... I personally couldn't do that, but hey... Whatever works.

I just know that if I go back to eating like I did before I will go back to the size 22 and I enjoy the size 10 much better!!

May I offer a suggestion if you feel overwhelmed or frustrated with this.... Just eat at your maintenance calories for a week... No gain, no loss... Just steady flow for a week or so. That way you don't take 2 steps back.

Best of luck to you!!
  • NewGoalsInMind
    Options
    I think that has happened to most of us that are trying to lose a lot of weight. I hate it when I go through my "bad eating habits and/or no workouts" stages. It's funny because I can feel great and motivated one day and then BLAH the next day. What works for me is forcing myself to do a workout video with loud music in the back, that keeps me going for a few days straight. I know that work can seriously interfere with our goals, but we have to stay motivated and stay focused on the finish line. Think about how happy and proud you'll be when you reach your goal. Best of luck!! : }
  • NewGoalsInMind
    Options
    Feel free to add me for support. :smile:
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    Hi Britt,

Man did I lose my motivation many of times. And do I still have ups and down now that I have lost 66lbs.
    I have days where I binged and still binge once in a while. I want to tell you is that you are not alone on feeling discouraged. It happens to all of us throughout this journey. There was times when I wanted to give up. We all want to give up sometimes, but you have to try to remember your why/purpose/reason?
    Why do you want to loose weight? Make a list called your why list put it somewhere visible on your fridge, in your purse, on your night stand. Jillian Michaels says if we make this why list and really know why we want something we can handle any how.
    Some reasons why we lose our motivation is because of course life happens and we regress to old behaviors or we get discouraged since we eat bad like you said for 1 day or 1 week or 1 month or we don't see the immediate rewards on that darn liar of a scale because of water retention. We all seek immediate gratification of seeing the number go down on the scale but sometimes we just have to be patient, and refocus on the little NSV's and your why/purpose/reason girl?. Also the scale will fluctuate due to lots of reasons, sodium, time of the month. digestion. So it is a liar sometimes and measure success through different ways. That helped me.

What is most important is the learning you do along the journey because that is what will help you maintain this new lifestyle and stop the yo yo dieting of gaining and losing that I have battled with all my life. I learned that exercise is a must and even if I binge I will work my booty off. I use exercise as my antidepressant.

Also, what I do to stay on track when I feel discouraged. I am like a mad woman collecting inspirational quotes and or words people post on here that are inspirational and I read them over and over maybe you can do that.
    Every time I hear or read one I type it in a word document and list them so I can reference them for extra motivation when I am down. I will send you my list. Also I will try on my new clothes that I would never have fit in at over 230lbs. I watch Youtube videos of people who post their weight loss journeys. I reward myself with workout stuff or clothes when I have accomplished a goal. I try to look at pictures of myself at my heaviest and try to remember that that mentality I lived in where I wanted to be invisible is not one that I wan to return to. In all I try to do anything and everything to help keep me on track, but most importantly I forgive myself when I do regress to old behavior. I accept my own humanity and know that we are perfectly imperfect and just start the next day drinking water, eating lots of protein with lost of veggies, fruit, and prepping my breakfast and lunch for work. I love the quote of "successful people are not people who never failed, they are people who never gave up. That is what keeps me motivated to know that I am successful just as long as I never give up and always fight for my happiness because I deserve and you deserve to feel and be happy. Let keep fighting!
  • massivediet
    massivediet Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I plan to lose 55-70 pounds total (depending on how I look and feel at the 55 pound mark) and have lost 37 so far, beginning in mid-March.

I have definitely had ups and downs--days when I ate just the nutrient rich foods to fit my macros and exercised for two or more hours being the high points, and days when I went to a buffet for lunch and another restaurant for dinner being the low points. I also allowed myself to eat at TDEE for a week. I've had stalls of a week or so and have gone up a pound or two on occasion, but overall I've been very lucky to lose this much in such a short time.

One thing that has helped is to have soft and hard limits. I try to stay focused at all times, but I don't beat myself up about going 300-500 over on calories, skipping workouts, or having a sugary treat from time to time. However, I do consider it unthinkable to go over my TDEE, or 1000 calories over my goal. I think I've done this just once or twice since starting, the idea being that since it's so taboo, I've done whatever workouts were needed to rectify it the other times I was set to go that far over.

Keeping filling low-calorie foods on hand has helped a lot. I think it's also helped me to skip an earlier meal most days as that allows for larger, more filling dinners. There's nothing more demoralizing tan feeling trapped or deprived. Good luck with the rest of your loss!
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm up and down too. But I follow the paleo framework, so when I get off track or start eating off plan, I not only gain weight, but I feel like utter crap, so I don't stay off track for very long. When you body goes from feeling endless energy and the weight falls off without much effort b/c of the clean eating and then you step off the path for a birthday party, work potluck, dinner out or any of the other millions of excuses out there and instantly gain 5 lbs b/c of the gluten/sugar bloat and feel sluggish and lethargic, you tend to pick back up and get back on track as quickly as you step off the track. I'm down 50 lbs as of today. It hasn't been fast, but it's been pretty consistent and I feel so incredibly good and my body is able to do things it wasn't able to do before (like run an entire half marathon when before all I could do was walk/run intervals), so it's been so entirely worth it.

That's how I get back on track. :) Best of luck to you.
  • MandyJokl
    MandyJokl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for nearly three years and I've had my ups and downs. I lost some put some back on then lost some more. For the last eight months I have put a few pounds on then lost them again so many times. But overall I've not lost or gained in the last eight months. At least this makes me realise that when I have lost all the weight I might stand a good chance of maintaining. However I have got frustrated at my lack of ability to get back on track. Over the last few weeks I got more and more depressed about it to the point I was going to jack the whole thing in. The diet the gym and the exercise.

I realised deep down that I wouldn't be happy doing that. When I am exercising and eating right I feel great. That's the feeling I want. However to get that feeling takes hard work and planning. Which do I want more? Chocolate bread crisps a fatter unhappy me or exercise healthy food and a fitter happy slimmer me?

Obviously I want the latter. But only me can make the decision. And only me can put the actions in place to achieve it. So far I've had 6 healthy days and four trips to the gym. I feel fantastic. I'm high on healthy eating.

Will unhealthy habits creep back in? Probably. But it's not how many times we fall that matters. It's how many times we pick our selves back up and give ourselves a good talking to! I've had 44 years of unhealthy eating. It's going to take me a bit more than 2.5 years to make and keep healthy habits. I've lost 80 pounds so far. I've another 100 to go. But I'm going to get there! Eventually!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Big time ups and downs. I've lost just over half of what I need to, and I've been stuck for months. Partly due to losing focus halfway in.
    I've been focused again for the last 3 weeks though so hopefully I'll get it moving again.

I can't say that I binge though. I keep tracking, and I was basically just eating at maintenance when I was slacking off.
  • MandyJokl
    MandyJokl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say make sure you add friends. Support them and they will support you. My new Mfp friends have got me through some tough times. Be honest with your logging and tell friends how you are feeling. One of them will usually write something that just helps you keep going!
  • fierydeluge
    Options
    I had those moments as well. Sometimes I'm so busy couldn't workout or maybe something came up last minute like a quick reunion with friends or unplanned date on a weekend. I use this to motivate myself. I tell myself that I has this much now I need to do this much as well. It also helps to have a good support system from friends, family and people I only meet in the gym or be inspired by people who themselves went through what you're going through now by reading their stories online.
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I lost 8 and a half stone last year, then plateaued, so got disheartened and put 5 stone back on before I woke up again. Am about half a stone away from where i got to last year now, but still have a ridiculous amount to lose yet.

I don't have any tricks or techniques to keep you in the zone, for me it's like a switch flips in my head and i am "in the zone" and back eating right and exercising.

Now, my focus is on health and fitness. Obviously weight is a concern, but my thinking is if I get the exercise and food bit right, the weight will look after itself. Kind of a symbiotic thing going on between weight loss and increasing health/fitness if you see what I mean.

You just have to find that thing that can keep you going on the right track...sometimes, despite how overweight I was and still am, the weight alone just wasn't as much of a concern to me as my health, so now its the health side of things that is keeping me going forward.

I am still working through a new programme for myself, so maybe that is helpful too, re change it up a bit, keep things fresh and new?
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've lost 6 pounds still has 60 more 2 go
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    About every 10-15 pounds I have plateaued, then have to change it up to start loosing again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm focused so far! It's slow going and frustrating because I yoyo a lot most of the time then I lose 3-5 lbs in like a week, but I'm getting rid of that fat even if it takes another year...
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Motivation slumps? All the dang time. One doesn't get 50+ pounds overweight because they had some short-term problem. We get that way from long-term habits. Habits that are so easy to fall back into despite our best intentions. If we don't pay constant attention to this for a very long time, we set ourselves up for failure.

My suggestion is to decide now to keep track of your calorie intake, exercise burn, and weight every day for the rest of your life and do it. Just do that. Even if you say to yourself you aren't going to work out this week and you just don't want to eat that small amount of food every day. Just keep tracking. Even if you lose motivation, it will be staring you in the face day after day and you will eventually remotivate yourself and get back on track. If you stop tracking, I think the likelihood that you will lose a lot of ground is high.

Good luck!

-Jon (total lost weight to date = 67 pounds, but I've put back on 10 to 30 of that twice so far)
  • pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I too am in the same boat. What everyone has said so far is soooo true! It's not always easy. There will be bad days (or weeks) and you have to just get right back to it. We're human. Things aren't always going to run perfectly. Sometimes we need a break. Take it. Friends are huge here. It's a great feeling to give and get the encouragement on here. We're all on the same journey.

Anyone can feel free to add me. I'm always open to new friends!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have lost 61 pounds out of my total goal of 70! It's taken me close to 2 years (started Nov. 2011), and I have had many periods of days/weeks/ and occasionally months of struggling to stay on track or lose any weight. I think it's pretty normal. Just keep going and don't quit on yourself even when it takes longer than you want it to and you seem to have more "bad" days than good!

Sometimes I feel like my body just wants a break from having a calorie deficit and there's nothing I can do about it lol. I don't know if that's true, but it seems like it sometimes and I just go with it.

Also remember that progress doesn't always show on the scale! I first reached 124 pounds in the very beginning of June, but then I took off about a month (still logged in, still tried some days but most days I was just eating whatever and going out to restaurants a lot), and I "gained" up to 135. I put it in quotes because I was back to 124 in 2 weeks so a lot of it was water weight and not actual fat gain. Anyways, my point is that when I got back to 124 in August, I was able to wear one size smaller in jeans than I did in June even though my weight is the same. I could say to myself that I didn't make any progress this summer because my weight is the same, but I'm a size smaller so I try to look at it like that instead!
  • kathivg
    kathivg Posts: 30
    Options
    Absolutely! It's impossible to make significant changes without stalls and pushback (from yourself and others an your body).

I know I'm not the only one replying to you who've attempted and succeeded at losing large amounts of weight. I've been successful four times in my life and have attempted more times than I can count. I'm trying to do it AGAIN! I've finally figured out I need to come at it from a different angle (finally at 48...only took me 40 years!)

Don't "try and lose weight" because when you succeed at that you'll have to "Try and keep it off" and unfortunately, for many people, that doesn't work for very long. Why? Because it's exausting and we end up rebelling against it and we become complacent and we end up gaining all the weight back, and more (which is why I now weigh what I do!)

I really encourage you to:

1. Learn about food. What's in the food you're eating? Do you REALLY like the taste, or are you settling for some diet version that has a weird after taste and you just want more anyway? There's a lot of things in our food companies add to make people addicted. I know...who would do such a thing...people who are making a lot of money off of our blood, sweat, tears, and bank accounts!

2. Learn to cook. It is hard, but I believe eating clean (pre-packaged food) is the way to go, which means cooking of the real stuff is involved, which takes time. It's worth it though.

3. Talk with someone - a friend/advocate or someone who counsels women with eating disorders. It's important to have that while your body goes through changes. Stalling in your weightloss may be due to something psychological/emotional, and until you deal with it, you're going to be stuck or you'll gain the weight back. If your weights been your "armor" for a lot of your life you're not going to give it up without stressing. Also, journal.

3. Live. Don't eat to lose weight. Don't exercise to lose weight. Don't do anything just for the purpose of losing weight, because you will fail if that's the only reason you're making these changes - it isn't enough.

Just live. Enjoy the food you eat. Enjoy the flavor and texture, and if you can, enjoy it with other people. Americans are the only culture where it's all about the food. In Europe, it's about the company with really good food involved. The focus is on enjoying the food with others.

Move. If you really like running, then run. You may have to try it to realize you like it, but don't "WORK OUT", just move. Go dancing, ride your bike somewhere (but avoid Dairy Queens - that stuff has like 70 ingredients in it!), just do things you like.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with words. It's just that I've struggled my whole life with my weight. It's awful and it's awful to feel defeated again and again by something that seems to control me instead of me controlling it. I do not wish the same for any young woman, and if my experiences can help you, then good things are coming from this!
  • yanni_yani
    Options
    Hi there- I had a week like this lst week- I felt liek giving up because the goal of losing SO MUCH weight is very hard- but if you view it in incraments it helps- I have to lose 50-60 more lbs--and I have lost 25- I learned about this site after I began my journey and that's why it says 16lbs--but anyhow- I am SO determined due to the comments that I get every single day. I work in an hospital and 90% of my co-workers had the Gastric Sleeve surgery/ so they have all lost like 60-100lbs in a few short months. sO Imagine how frustrating this is that everyone around me is skinny so quick and I am losing little by little. It is HARD- it's a complete battle, but I HAVE to do this for me and my health. I go to the dr like every week, so I am in good health, except for being technically obese. I hate the tired feeling that I get in the day time after work, it makes me want to no work out- but I have pushed myself because I do believe that God did not make me this way- He does not want Me to be this way- no one is "SUPPOSED" to be obese. I understand you clearly- I am just looking towards my future and being skinny-I do not EVER want to be obese again- I need to be strong and vital - so many people I know have passed away that I know due to bad health - many related to weight. I keep visions of my cousins Nicole and Martha in my mind while I work out- they are both mothers with 3/4 kids; and they lost 40-80lbs. They look so small and beautiful- I am amazed and I think of these women to keep me motivated- they are powerful women and I want to be that way- when u feel down and low motivated, Think of someone that inspires you and fight with all your might to improve yourself.
    My boyfriend is my trainer and he's from the Military so he's strict, he keeps me in line. I want to be the person that people tell me- "Oh Ayana you are so small!"....I am sick of people asking me when I am getting the gastric sleeve, it enrages me- so I have made a decision to put Myself 1st -- I want to excel in my life so I am fighting to succeed- You are not alone dear! I wish you the best and just know that we are in this battle together. also, when u feel weak and tired, then have a cup of coffee prior to your work out- I find that that helps me..GOOD LUCK Push harder!!! YOU CAN & WILL DO IT!