The sucky part about beingobeset and losing weight...

Options
Is that it doesn't look like much. I've lost almost 40 lbs but its not enough that I can be like WOOT ALL THOSE NOT EATEN DONUTS WERE TOTES WORTH IT. I have a seriously jacked up thyroid and my body tries really hard to be fat. In 2010, I gained over 100 lbs in six months, while breastfeeding, and never eating fast food, fried food etc. So I have to really watch my log carefully and eat at a somewhat lower level that another person without thyroid issues would have to eat at to lose weight on here. I'd just like to feel like I can see something has changed so its easier to ignore when people around me are eating stuff that makes me sick but I would want (no gallbladder, can't eat fatty or very sugary foods often or alcohol). Anyone else feel this way sometimes?

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor put you on thyroid hormones? I put on 50 lbs in a matter of months as well. It took them 2 years to diagnose me and another 6 months to get my dosage right. Once they got my T4 and T3 back in balance, I started losing weight so fast of the 28 lbs I've lost, 18 of them are in the last 5 weeks while the first 10 lbs took 3 months. And that's because I switched to an all vegan diet eating primarily only raw foods. It's straight raw fruits and veggies. Once my dosage was upped to 100 micrograms, the combination of finally having a metabolism again and eating a plant-based diet made the pounds start dropping fast. My doc said he's not concerned because my labwork comes back better and better each time, so I'm just sticking with it and we'll see where this ride goes. 38 lbs is really good. Make sure your Synthroid dosage is where it needs to be and it won't be a struggle at all.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I am on 50 but I dont have insurance to get tested to check the levels and i can tell by my sleepiness and forgetfulness that it should prolly be at at least 100 now. The only reason i have a prescription for it right now is when i had the gallbladder out my cool surgeon wrote me about 6 mos script for it as a favor
  • kaseysospacey
    Options
    This 38 lbs has taken a LONG *kitten* time. Seriously. and it easily creeps back on without going over on cals, counting religiously.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thank God United Kingdom treats thyroid very serious with free tablets till the end of your life ...I am on 100mg, It's slightly to high dose for me ( should be on 75mg) but it stopped my muscles spasms. So my GP is happy to give me 100mg. I have put on 5 stones within a year before I was diagnosed. :(
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If your weight isn't moving, then you're definitely not in balance yet. The 25 micrograms did nothing for me. Now that I'm taking 100 I can see all that effort to eat vegan and walk should have been paying off long ago and not frustrating me. I definitely know you feel.
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    That sucks that you can't get the right medication that you need.

I have just had a nose at you pics & you have lost a lot of weight just from the face pics you have there is a massive difference. So well done you for sticking at it & doing so well
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I too suffered my hypothyroidism. The doctor put me on meds and wanted to up my dose, which was making my body just wacky. I went off the meds and am now taking natural supplements called arginine and tyrosine. They have helped rev up my metabolism and I have lost 5 pounds just this week alone. I am not telling you to go off your meds just trying to offer encouragement.
  • minionofevil
    minionofevil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I can see a difference in you sis! Your face looks thinner, and (no offense) your *kitten* does too! I see you constantly, but I can see a big dif between last year and this year.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! <3
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Is that it doesn't look like much. I've lost almost 40 lbs but its not enough that I can be like WOOT ALL THOSE NOT EATEN DONUTS WERE TOTES WORTH IT. I have a seriously jacked up thyroid and my body tries really hard to be fat. In 2010, I gained over 100 lbs in six months, while breastfeeding, and never eating fast food, fried food etc. So I have to really watch my log carefully and eat at a somewhat lower level that another person without thyroid issues would have to eat at to lose weight on here. I'd just like to feel like I can see something has changed so its easier to ignore when people around me are eating stuff that makes me sick but I would want (no gallbladder, can't eat fatty or very sugary foods often or alcohol). Anyone else feel this way sometimes?

I think you have a common issue found in people who have struggled with weight issues...you can't see what everyone else sees. try taking pictures every few weeks or every month and look really hard for the little changes. Even if it is a little more tone, it is SOMETHING.
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I feel this way. I don't have thyroid issues, but I have to be pretty strict with my eating and workouts or I won't lose. And it took a whole year and 40+ pounds for people to notice that I'd lost weight.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree with several others, your dosage is still not correct... It took a bit to get mine right.... soon as you can get your levels checked again... you may need to move up to 75 or 88 ( that's what I take).... having a wacky thyroid can make it seem like you are not losing but you are .. hang in there
  • kaseysospacey
    Options
    Its not about seeing so much as it takes so long to lose a lb and keep it off. Like daily i get a message from mfp guessing where ill be in 5 wks and its not realistic for me really and it sucks. Losing 40 lbs doesnt meant much when you have 160 to lose and regardless of how well you do and have always eaten (when you have thyroid issues) people treat you like lady mcdouble,eaten of french fries,loather of vegetables. Its just kind of depressing and I needed some encouragement and I appreciate the comments on here.