First Week

Options
This is my first week on MFP, I have tried every diet on the market, & some I made up on my own. For awhile I was able to control my weight then 3 years ago as I was turning 60 decided to quit smoking, & I did, 3 years now, but I've put on 30 pounds, nothing fits me comfortably, I feel like a blimp some days, but I'm going to do this. I log in everyday, & I exercise everyday by walking.
I can do this, I no I can, just need to keep motivated. I may need help from time to time, so feel free to lend a helping hand my MFP Friends, those of you have started this process & lost weight doing this.
I look forward to hearing from you all. Take care :)

Replies

• pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! Although you might be bummed about gaining weight after smoking, just know that your heart and lungs are going to thank you every single day! :) You can totally do this! And there are tons of people here who will support and help you :)

Feel free to add me :)
  • yarneycat
    yarneycat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey! Signing up is the first step! I've been on and off for a year, and am trying much harder to stick with it this time. Motivation is always the toughest, hey? The smoking/weight trade off can be a big one but yes, the rest of your body (not even just heart and lungs) really loves you for it.
  • NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options
    I quit smoking in February this year. I gained 17 pounds in two months. When my clothes stopped fitting, I decided to put my foot down. I refused to go out and buy new clothes, so that meant I had to lose the weight so I could fit back into them. Going around town naked just wasn't an option. ;)

I decided to try C25K. I was a little dubious, but as the weeks passed, and I got better at it, and I could really see improvements in my breathing and endurance, I got really excited. I haven't seen too much weight loss, but I've definitely lost inches off of my waist, thighs, hips, and neck. I can fit back into a large portion of my clothes now. I'll be starting Week 8 tomorrow.

When I started this I just wanted to fit back into my clothes, and now, I've got a lifestyle, and I'm loving it. Stick to it, even on the days where you really don't feel like it. That moment when the voice in your earbuds says, "slow to an easy pace for cool down" is a moment of pride, because you just did something you didn't believe you could. It's a great feeling.
  • becauseimphoebe
    Options
    this past week was my first week using MFP. it has been great! lots of motivating friends and really helps you recognize areas in your life that could use improvement.

good luck on your journey !
  • belladiva47
    belladiva47 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I gave up a pack a day + habit on 1/1/1994 and gave myself permission to eat. Promptly gained 75 pounds. 19 years later I'm still carrying those pounds but I never went back to the smoking and I am very glad. I'm now 66 and focusing on getting healthy. We have a wonderful support group here of over 60 so please feel free to join us and feel free to add me as your friend.
  • slh0307
    slh0307 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on stopping the smoking! That is remarkable and no easy task. MFP will help you get healthy and the folks here are amazingly supportive. Best of success to you!
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Sometimes weare smart too late. I guit the ciagrettes in 92 and didnn't connet weight gain seriously. After many tries at WW, Doctors recommendations and my own, I started FB in Jan.2012. I have not been as successful as many on here, but, as a perssonal trainer told ame a while back like happens and as long as you keep going forwrad it's fine. Welcome and add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • radhaparthasarathy
    Options
    This is my first week in Fitness pal. I used food for comfort eating and I am up by 12 kgs. Looking to shred those extra punds and become hale and healthy
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This is my first week in Fitness pal. I used food for comfort eating and I am up by 12 kgs. Looking to shred those extra punds and become hale and healthy
    This is the place to do that:drinker:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Rock on! You've already made the hardest step, signing up and logging for a week! I, personally, have been here well over 2 years now. Lost about 50 pounds the first year, and have ultimately been maintaining the rest of the time. I gained a few pounds recovering from a major surgery earlier this year, but they're coming back off. If I can do this, so can you!