Need diet help

Options
So I finally got a scale that can weigh me and I'm starting a healthier diet tomorrow. Just don't know what kind. :/ Low carb just isn't for me. But neither is just calorie reduction because I can have two large blizzards in a day and be under my TDEE. I may lose weight, but I'd feel sick all the time doing that. Suggestions?

I'm currently 25 years old, 6'3", and 450lb. I'm working out three days a week (I have enjoyed lifting for a while) and my girlfriend goes with me so she'll usually twist my arm to do one of the cardio machines for 20-30 minutes after we lift.

Replies

• fitNhealthyat55
    fitNhealthyat55 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Calorie reduction and common sense to eat things that are good for you.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Why not calorie reduction combined with good macros? IIFYM basically. Two blizzards probably won't fit every day, but one might. At least some days.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting make sure you're getting plenty of protein - chicken, fish, lean beef and pork, beans, nuts, etc. Carbs are fine - complex carbs will help you feel full longer than simple carbs and will fuel your cardio workouts. Complex carbs are found in whole grains, nuts, beans, fruits and vegetables. Fats are fine too, just try to get the majority from healthy fats like the ones found in fish, avocados, nuts and seeds. At your current weight you'll have plenty of calories to eat and having an occasional blizzard won't hurt you either.

Eat sensibly but don't completely restrict yourself or you'll likely get to a point where you feel like you just have to have those things you've been denying yourself and you'll go completely off track.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    So I finally got a scale that can weigh me and I'm starting a healthier diet tomorrow. Just don't know what kind. :/ Low carb just isn't for me. But neither is just calorie reduction because I can have two large blizzards in a day and be under my TDEE. I may lose weight, but I'd feel sick all the time doing that. Suggestions?

I'm currently 25 years old, 6'3", and 450lb. I'm working out three days a week (I have enjoyed lifting for a while) and my girlfriend goes with me so she'll usually twist my arm to do one of the cardio machines for 20-30 minutes after we lift.

First of all relax and get diet out of your mind entirely. You can do this, eat at TDEE -20% and you will lose weight and still be eatting good foods. There are many people on here that have lost as much as you need to and more.

Read this, figure out your true TDEE and BMR, eat at TDEE-20% and get back to living life again.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    According to your Stats you:

Maintain your current weight at 4389 calories per day with zero exercise.

Your estimated BMR is: 3,117 calories/day

1000 calorie deficit a day for 2lbs a week is 3389 calories a day.

Try searching the forum for protein shake recipes, there are a couple floating around that are 1000+ calories each. A lot healthier than a blizzard and it'll help you get to your calorie goal. Don't be afraid to eat calorie dense foods like nuts/nut butters and avocados.

You'll get the hand of it, just try the calorie restriction for a month, what do you have to lose except some pounds?
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options

First of all relax and get diet out of your mind entirely. You can do this, eat at TDEE -20% and you will lose weight and still be eatting good foods. There are many people on here that have lost as much as you need to and more.

Read this, figure out your true TDEE and BMR, eat at TDEE-20% and get back to living life again.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Just want to point out that to me "diet" means what I eat. Right now I have a diet of junk food. I know a lot of people use the word to describe a restricted way of eating.
  • MisterDerpington
    Options
    According to your Stats you:

Maintain your current weight at 4389 calories per day with zero exercise.

Your estimated BMR is: 3,117 calories/day

1000 calorie deficit a day for 2lbs a week is 3389 calories a day.

Try searching the forum for protein shake recipes, there are a couple floating around that are 1000+ calories each. A lot healthier than a blizzard and it'll help you get to your calorie goal. Don't be afraid to eat calorie dense foods like nuts/nut butters and avocados.

You'll get the hand of it, just try the calorie restriction for a month, what do you have to lose except some pounds?

The Blizzard thing is an example of how I can eat a lot of calories and still be under my TDEE, but the quality of the calories would be poor. 1000 calories in a protein shake sounds great for someone bulking, but kind of counter-intuitive for me.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The higher protein diet, in combination with strength training, is to help you maintain muscle mass as you lose weight, i.e. lose more fat and less muscle. Try to get 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, 0.35 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and fill the rest with carbs. Personally, I also track fiber, iron, calcium, and vitamins A and C, but track these extras only if it works for you. You don't have to overcomplicate it in the beginning or at all. I find that I can eat a little junk every day and still hit these goals but I still have to eat plenty of staple items like fish, chicken, beef, vegetables, fruits, dairy, nuts, and whole grains. I also use some protein powder whether I'm losing weight or gaining. I just like the flavor in Greek yogurt and it makes it easier some days.

Good luck!

edit: typo
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hi Mr Derping.

Why don't you start by just counting cals. And then day by day make your diet a little bit healthier as you go along. Start out by making sure your calories are where you want them to be and then as you learn more perhaps get your protein to a level you like, or start incorporating more veggies/fruits throughout your week and etc. There needn't be a specific "plan" to follow just a loose guidleline and then you can notice what your particular needs are as you continue on, learn more about foods in general and how your particular body responds to thinks like say cauliflower and decide if you want that in your diet or not. :wink:
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you want to argue more than you want to lose weight.
  • MisterDerpington
    Options
    It sounds like you want to argue more than you want to lose weight.

It sounds like you've been on these forums too much. I was clarifying myself for those who didn't understand what I meant.
  • MisterDerpington
    Options
    The higher protein diet, in combination with strength training, is to help you maintain muscle mass as you lose weight, i.e. lose more fat and less muscle. Try to get 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, 0.35 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and fill the rest with carbs. Personally, I also track fiber, iron, calcium, and vitamins A and C, but track these extras only if it works for you. You don't have to overcomplicate it in the beginning or at all. I find that I can eat a little junk every day and still hit these goals but I still have to eat plenty of staple items like fish, chicken, beef, vegetables, fruits, dairy, nuts, and whole grains. I also use some protein powder whether I'm losing weight or gaining. I just like the flavor in Greek yogurt and it makes it easier some days.

Good luck!

edit: typo

Thanks. Eating enough protein has always been one of my challenges, but I'm going to give these macros a shot for now. It means eating about 255g of it. I think I might need some whey.
  • gingerthedaywalker
    Options
    You also have to factor in your body type different body types require different maxium results.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options

^This. Eating at TDEE -20% never leaves me hungry. In fact, I often eat for the sake of eating instead of when I'm hungry. I wouldn't have it any other way.