Any first time runners out there?

Replies

• JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    I started running a year and a half ago and have completed multiple 5Ks, 10Ks, and HM's. a few tips:

1.) Buy a good pair of running shoes
    2.) Don't try to do too much at once
    3.) you will have good run days and bad run days. Pushing through on the bad runs make the good runs better.
    4.) You will have days where you would rather be lazy and not run, these are days you should run the most.
    5.) Take a day or two off from running.
    6.) Have fun! If you're having fun, you will do it forever.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    The number one thing I can tell you is get the RIGHT running shoes. Don't just choose a pair because they are "cute" or because you know the brand. Go to a specialty running store and have them fit you. They will look at your feet, your stride and a number of other factors to put you in the proper shoe for YOU. Don't buy a pair because someone you know likes that kind. They might have a completely different need than you do. The wrong shoe can lead to injury so please be careful and get fit properly.

I know this is good advice. I know that a good pair of running shoes means not only happy feet, but may also prevent knee and back pain. However, for those of us who don't have the money to find a special store and get fit with a pair of shoes that we'll need to replace in six months.......does anyone have any recommendations?
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Last year I was in the same boat. The C25K program did wonders for me & now I'm training for a 15K. It's a great way to start slow & work your way up.

What program are you using to train for the 15k?. I just recently completed my first 5k and would like to do a half marathon in spring '14, a girl can dream!!
  • perk325
    perk325 Posts: 9
    I just started running a couple months ago, I got a pair of Skechers GOrun r. I got them at shoe carnival for about 75.00. Love them. I have a lot of pain from Plantar fasciitis, and these are a mid strike shoe, so I don't hit hard on my heel. best money I ever spent. So comfy. I wear them all the time. and they are super cute too!
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    I always thought of jogging/running and it looks good in my mind, so I decided one day while I was walking on the treadmill at the gym I would up the speed and my little legs would have to pick up pace or fall, I really like it. Have only started this past week so things are slow moving....I walk then I go to a slow jog only for about a minute, then walk again. This is fine for me to start hopefully I will get stronger and be able to do a 3 mile run and who knows maybe I will go further....good luck to you...friend me if you like and we can encourage one another.....

This is pretty much how I started out too. I can run 1 mile on my treadmill before I need to walk for a minute or two. I am hoping by the end of the month I can get myself to start running outside. I would LOVE the change of scenery :)
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    I honestly haven't ran since since I was a kid,and would really love to start. Just wondering if there's any tips on how to get motivated to run? Or any tips on how to get started.

I'm still looking for motivation. I know I want to be able to run, but when I start running, I instantly get miserable - not to mention winded. I can run for close to a minute, tops...that's the point where I tend to decide that it's too much for me, even though I could (probably) physically continue. I have used the C25K app, which is effective if you're already motivated, but as others have said, it gets pretty boring. I want to try this Zombie Run app that everyone is talking about...

Good luck!
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    I started the C25K by ZenLabs about a month ago - I'm going slow - only two days a week instead of three and I took two weeks off for the heat wave since I didn't want to get discouraged. Also my calves aren't really appreciating my newfound ambition to become a runner. I was a tap-dancer (don't judge me) for about 20 years and it built some rock solid calf muscles but they are very short and tight - running is stretching them out and they aren't going along with the plan as well as the rest of me is.

SHOES - very important - it is well worth the expense. I got Brooks Defyance 6 and they are like wearing slippers they are so comfy. Following the program is super simple and turning out to be quite fun.

Good Luck !
  • johnsonb0921
    johnsonb0921 Posts: 35 Member
    Couch to 5k, definitely! I agree with another poster who said to sign up for a 5k 2 months out from when you start the program. It will give you something to train for! I've lost 60 pounds since I started running, and now it's like an addiction for me (I always HATED it before!). I couldn't run for 2 minutes when I started, and now I'm running my first 10k tomorrow! :) Anyway, the C25k program is great because it sets achievable goals (like jog 1 minute, walk 2 minutes to start), so you're not trying to do too much too soon. It will probably be uncomfortable to start with, but just remember to stretch, stretch, stretch! If you have to stop in the middle of a run to stretch, so be it. It takes time to building up running muscles!

I also recommend Chi Running, by Danny Dreyer. It taught me a lot about relaxing my body during running - using gravity to do half the work for you, instead of straining your legs and exhausting yourself. I feel like I can run a lot longer now and it is way less stressful on my body. I listened to it on audiobook and it was very informative.

Good luck!
  • dkmajsterek
    dkmajsterek Posts: 1 Member
    I don't consider myself a runner at all, but have always wanted to run. I downloaded an app (to my android phone) offered from zen labs call c25k (it has has a pink breast cancer symbol on the app) It takes you through an eight week program gradually having you jog/run more each time. I am up to week 4 day 3, and so far am really enjoying it. Check it out!
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Runners world .com has articles and tips on how to get started without getting hurt which of course is the most important thing.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    The number one thing I can tell you is get the RIGHT running shoes. Don't just choose a pair because they are "cute" or because you know the brand. Go to a specialty running store and have them fit you. They will look at your feet, your stride and a number of other factors to put you in the proper shoe for YOU. Don't buy a pair because someone you know likes that kind. They might have a completely different need than you do. The wrong shoe can lead to injury so please be careful and get fit properly.

I know this is good advice. I know that a good pair of running shoes means not only happy feet, but may also prevent knee and back pain. However, for those of us who don't have the money to find a special store and get fit with a pair of shoes that we'll need to replace in six months.......does anyone have any recommendations?

They don't have to be expensive. Many running stores have shoes that are last year's model that are just as good and half the price of the newest ones. The cost of a good pair of shoes is much less than the cost of potential medical issues.
  • I am running my first 5k next weekend and let me tell you, i am NOT a runner. I never ran a mile straight until i started training for this 5k.. not even in elementary school.

It's been said in this thread already; 1) start slow (I used c25k), 2) push yourself, but not too hard... and 3) it IS a mental thing.

I did a practice 5k today and ran it in 43mins. I feel super slow (my running partner did it in 32) but you know what? 2 months ago i couldn't run 60 seconds straight.

you can do this!
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member

THIS! Also, inserts if recommended- I noticed a big difference with the last pair I got (no inserts) vs. current pair with inserts.

If you have a tough time motivating yourself to get out there, check out your local running store to see if they have a beginner's training program. I did this through Fleet Feet. They'll teach you proper form, warm-up, stretches, etc. You will also be around like minded people & it made me stick with it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Just start, but start slow. Run slower and shorter than you think you're capable of running. No, even slower than that. Walk frequently. Take a day of rest and then do it again.

All to often, new runners try to do too far too quickly too often...which leads to all kinds of problems that make running much more difficult. Done slowly (but consistently), you'll be able to increase the distances and speeds relatively quickly. Done too ambitiously and you'll find yourself sidelined for a month or two nursing an overuse injury.

--the guy just coming off of being sidelined for two months while recovering from plantar fasciitis because he tried to do too far too quickly too often. (Yesterday was my first day back and I ran/walked a total of just 20 minutes as directed by a C25k app...far less than I had been doing before the injury.)

Edit: because verb tense matters
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    I honestly haven't ran since since I was a kid,and would really love to start. Just wondering if there's any tips on how to get motivated to run? Or any tips on how to get started.

I'm still looking for motivation. I know I want to be able to run, but when I start running, I instantly get miserable - not to mention winded. I can run for close to a minute, tops...that's the point where I tend to decide that it's too much for me, even though I could (probably) physically continue. I have used the C25K app, which is effective if you're already motivated, but as others have said, it gets pretty boring. I want to try this Zombie Run app that everyone is talking about...

Good luck!

If you are THAT miserable running, then you may need to find a different form of exercise. If you hate it, you won't do it and that won't help you achieve your goals.

However, if you are just giving up on yourself because it's tough, just focus on going a little bit further each time you run. Run a little longer before stopping to walk. Focus on achieving small goals - the next street sign, the next tree - and before you know it, you'll be achieving big ones.

Running is not something I grew up doing and I used to be the guy who said "I only run if something is chasing me." Not anymore. I love my runs and it IS addictive. But again, if you don't enjoy it AT ALL, then you may need to find something different to do.
  • sportmir
    sportmir Posts: 10 Member
    I'am a first time runner too. Beginning of June I started a programme 'Start to run', a populair programme to learn running 5K in 10 weeks. First two weeks went ok but then my knees really started to hurt. Had to stop for some time and then my husband helped me back on track. Lots more walking and less running in the beginning. And without my notice it slowly turned around. Now we run almost all the time with few short walks just to catch some breath.

My goal is to do the ladiesrun for Pink Ribbon in june 2014.

My advice is to start slow and instead of one day rest I take two days to recover. I don't mind running slow, my first goal is to run 'long'. My round is 4,2K, tooday I finishes it in 30,22 min and beginning of June the same round took me 42 min.

And you should get a pair of running shoes and promiss yourself on some nice stuff when reasonable goals are reached. I got myself a cute shirt when I could run a certain part of my round :-)

Most important is to start moving, in time things do get better.

Good luck!
  • KurtK1970
    KurtK1970 Posts: 50 Member
    The cost of a good pair of shoes is much less than the cost of potential medical issues.

This. As someone who just paid off a $500 doctor/physical therapy bill because I stupidly tried starting running while wearing cheap hiking boots from Walmart, I can 100% say that good running shoes are a MUST! Go to a store that specializes in athletic shoes, let them analyze you, and you will be fine. I paid $120 for the running shoes I now wear, and I have no regrets whatsoever!
  • Started a C25k program a year ago March and I was 60 years old! Try running with some friends they will keep you company and motivated. Have a graduation race to aim for at the end of the program. Vary the places you run. Get running shoes and moisture wicking running clothes. Looking like a runner helps you feel like a runner. It takes time and patience to get to running 5k without walking and/or stopping. And remember, if it looks easy, everyone would be doing it. Hang in there!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    I started running in April/May but developed knee pain and my orthopedist made me stop. My problem (according to the physical therapist) is that I have weak muscles and I was putting all my stress of running on ligaments and joints in my knee (for some reason my right leg is significantly weaker than my left, hence the right knee pain). I just got into it because a friend encouraged me, and I had lost enough weight so I didn't feel like a fat cow and because I ran at night.

If I were to do it over again, I would run every other day and do strength exercises alternating days.

One more week before I see the orthopod, hopefully I will be allowed to run again.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Oh, and when you bounce into work one morning very excitedly announcing that you managed whatever distance you did the previous night, ignore stupid comments from the colleague who will want to burst your bubble by telling you how slow you were. (No really.).