Low Carb Smoothies?

Options
Is there such a thing? I am a Type 1 Diabetic, so looking for a low-carb, and low sugar smoothie recipe.

Replies

• becsnz1
    becsnz1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    How low carb do you want? I only make smoothies with 1 small banana and 1 cup trim milk. That's about 30-45grams carbs but very filling. You could try blueberries as the fruit? That would be lower carb.

Or I have heard of freezing bananas then blending them up so you could do that and just add water or blend up ice with it then the only carbs would be according to size/weight of banana you have.

Green Goodness Smoothie!

2 Cups Greens - packed tightly.
    2 Kiwi
    1 small banana
    2 celery stalks or 1 cup diced
    cucumber
    1 Squeezed lemon for juice
    1 Cup water
    Ice

Just blend well and enjoy! This looks a tad eeeeek in that it is green!!! I've never tried this one but a lady I know is right into her nutrition and has these throughout the week.
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    My husband is diabetic and he has me make him slushies. I use 1 C of cold water, sprinkle in Crystal Light or the Kroger brands of those, and add one C of ice into the blender. I use the lemon crystal light, raspberry, and add just a few strawberries to the lemon flavor one or the raspberry mixes and it makes it even better. We both enjoy them, and often. Those are without all the carbs/sugars without using all the fruit people use. Add the amount of fruit you want, but that's what we do.
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Low Carb Smoothies - have you tried low carb protein shakes? you can flavor them with just about anything, or drink them plain.
    my favorite is vanilla protein powder, almond milk and peanut butter or hot cocoa mix
  • dailytammy
    dailytammy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use power greens, spinach, broccoli, and cucumbers with 1 cup almond milk, ice if desired then add tablespoon of any of the following: diabetic strawberry yogurt, sugar free applesauce with teaspoon of cinnamon or crystal light packet works well. Limits the carbs and keeps it low calorie as well
  • emma_louise_23
    Options
    600ml skimmed milk
    1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
    add couple cubes of ice if you prefer but i dont use ice
    blend it up and thats literally it...its delicious and really simple
    comes to around 17g carbs
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    There's always unsweetened almond milk instead of regular milk for low carbers.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This is my go to recipe for potein smoothies. I just switch up the fruit. You can omit the protein powder which would lower the numbers. The only sugars are from the fruit so all natural. Makes 2 cups.

1 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup Danone Silhouette 0% stirred greek yogourt - vanilla twist
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    1 scoop Bulk Barn whey protein isolate 90% - plain
    1 packet Stevia
    1 tbsp. each ground flaxseed and chia seeds
    2 ice cubes

Calories 199g Carbs 14 g Fat 3g Protein 25g Sugar 9g Fibre 4g
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    there's 0 carb protein powders you can mix, isopure has some fruity smoothie types.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I use avocado's in place of bananas, they are a lot lower in carbs, and higher in fiber. My smoothie's generally consist of the following:

1/2 avocado
    1/2 cup coconut or almond milk
    a large handful of spinach
    1/2 cup strawberries, blueberries, raspberries (whatever berries you want)
    water as needed
    ground flax seed
    1 scoop low carb protein powder