Rewards and motivators

Options
Todays question:

In your quest for better health how have you rewarded yourself and how do you measure when you "deserve" the reward? I'm trying to figure out rewards that are fun. Such as massages, a new ipod or ipad someday. Things of this nature. Small to start and when I reach final goal. I don't want food items. Like one free meal..

Looking for any suggestions of how you have stayed motivated through the tough times. I have been in a month training so far. I am waiting to get to a hurdle of sitting. And that's when those will be helpful.

Replies

• Tldavis3s
    Tldavis3s Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I rewarded myself with something small everytime I hit a milestone. After 20 lbs I re-pierced my belly button
    After 40 lbs lost I bought a new swimsuit and I usually do reward myself with small cheat meals. I am currently lifting and running so when I start losing inches I will reward myself again with something small. Once I reach my final goal I will probably spend more like buying a new tablet for myself. :)
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I reward myself for each 10 lbs. lost, and like you, I don't reward myself with food. The "value" of the rewards does gradually increase as I get closer to my goal, with a big jump at the end for reaching it.

170 lbs. : Candles from Yankee candle
    160 lbs. : New posters and a lamp for my office
    150 lbs. : Haircut and highlights
    140 lbs. : New boots, shoes, and fashion jewelry
    130 lbs. : Clothing shopping spree

The biggest joy for me is actually reaching that point, not the actual reward, but the rewards keep me motivated while I'm "in progress" between each 10 lbs.
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm like a kid and NEED little incentives to keep me interested so I reward myself for every 5 lbs lost. Nothing fancy, just small gifts to help keep me focused on my goal.

165 lbs - Dance Central 3 for Kinect
    160 lbs - A few bottles of nail polish
    155 lbs - Hair accessories
    150 lbs (goal) - Shopping spree and the joy of finally being able to wear my One Teaspoon Eagles Shadow bikini eagles_shadow_bikini_1__1.jpg Unfortunately, it will be fall by the time I hit that goal so only me and my mirror will have the pleasure of seeing me in it...boo!
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I decided that every 5 lbs I could buy a book or DVD that I want.
    Every 15 lbs, I get a new pair of work pants (although this becomes more of a necessity than a reward)
    Every 25 lbs, I get a new computer game.

And when I hit my goal weight, and have maintained it for a month, I get a new computer.
  • Danalynn39
    Options
    All of you have had significant losses already, congrats for that! I appreciate the suggestions. I know my problem with food is I seem to go off track when I do that. I need something to stay in the game and tell myself "in 10lbs you get this" and feel like a short reward is coming to stay off the big picture that seems so far away. I am just learning lifting. I've never done that but for four weeks now and I'm LOVING IT! I'm hoping to start seeing some changes soon. My trainer keeps saying the first month you won't see a budget much on the scale. But month 2-3 you should. I hope this is true. Congrats, thank you and keep those goals! You are all doing awesome! Hopefully I will be rocking a sweet swimsuit next summer again. :)
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I haven't really set any "rewards" for myself, but I have noticed a few Fitness Reward websites that track and reward you for your progress. Often working with apps you already use (like Runkeeper, MapMyFitness ... even MFP!) I have a Fitbit, and I've been able to just connect and then I don't even do anything, just check in (or they send an email update).

I've earned two $5 Amazon gift cards from Everymove (and when that's not available I donate $5 to Make a Wish) ... Earndit, I donate to charity there. Achievemint, I'm almost to a $25 payout ... it does sound a little too good to be true but I'm getting really close, so I guess we'll see (if it doesn't pay out, then I really didn't invest anything but the moment it took to sign up). I've earned $5 credit at Walgreens with their program.

I did a blog post about it ...
    http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/get-rewarded-for-getting-fit.html

Anyone else try any of these sites? I don't know that they really motivate me more ... I'm going to do my workout anyway, but hey, if I can get a little kickback, ok - I'll take it!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I have a different take, I think. I have not given myself any specific rewards along the way. I am doing this to be healthy and the most exciting things to me are being able to carry in 6-8 bags of groceries, up steps, and not get out of breath, being able to lift weights I never thought I could lift, & being able to run for 40 minutes. It's waking up in the morning feeling good and ready to do what I need to do.

My reward comes every day that I am healthier than the day before. It comes in the choices I make for myself that I never took the time to make before. It comes in the feeling of being strong. I am my best motivator, because no one else can do this for me. That is also a great reward - especially for this girl who used to have all the excuses for not taking care of myself.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    the reward system was fantastic for me after my second baby. i took it small so i got a reward every 5 lbs. like some of the others have done. i knew i had XX number of pounds to lose. i divided that by 5 and came up with however many rewards. maybe it was 8 or so, i don't remember. so i wrote down 8 rewards that had more emotional value to me than monetary and ranked them best for last. little sterling silver and CZ earrings, new sandals from payless shoes, manicure, massage and so forth with the final reward being getting my hair cut and highlighted to go with my new cheekbones. :)

because i set my reward goals so small at 5 lb increments, sometimes i'd blow right past one reward to the next before i had time to schedule an appointment or get to the store to claim the previous reward. i never did get that manicure.

i never, never reward with food. that would be like saying, "hey, i have 6 months sobriety! i'll have a margarita, por favor!"
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I haven't really set any "rewards" for myself, but I have noticed a few Fitness Reward websites that track and reward you for your progress. Often working with apps you already use (like Runkeeper, MapMyFitness ... even MFP!) I have a Fitbit, and I've been able to just connect and then I don't even do anything, just check in (or they send an email update).

I've earned two $5 Amazon gift cards from Everymove (and when that's not available I donate $5 to Make a Wish) ... Earndit, I donate to charity there. Achievemint, I'm almost to a $25 payout ... it does sound a little too good to be true but I'm getting really close, so I guess we'll see (if it doesn't pay out, then I really didn't invest anything but the moment it took to sign up). I've earned $5 credit at Walgreens with their program.

I did a blog post about it ...
    http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/get-rewarded-for-getting-fit.html

Anyone else try any of these sites? I don't know that they really motivate me more ... I'm going to do my workout anyway, but hey, if I can get a little kickback, ok - I'll take it!

Just signed up for all three THANKS !
  • pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've used a point system as opposed to weight lost. I gave myself a point for logging in, getting at least 8 glasses water, exercising, and staying within my calories. When I reach so many points, I reward myself. New shoes, workout gear, anything. Though I like the weight goals and may look at doing that now instead! Really your rewards should be things you want. Make it that splurge that you generally otherwise talk yourself out of doing/getting.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Silly earrings. Trips to the thrift shop. Sex. Inexpensive things, generally.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I haven't really set any reward system in place, but I feel very rewarded when my clothes need to be donated and replaced. This week was my first problem with clothing; I had to buy new bras. And oh how sweet that was! I'm finding clothing that stretches a bit, too. For example, the bras will last through another sizing or two due to the availability of the hooks and adjustable straps; I've discovered jeans with LOTS of spandex in them, i.e., NYDJ jeans. These are all huge rewards for me.
  • willnevergiveup
    willnevergiveup Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have lost 42 pounds in the past four months and I have 48 more to go. My rewards have included pedicures,manicures, and facials. One of my big goal rewards will be a haircut and highlights. My biggest rewards will be having a good a1c number, blood pressure, and cholesterol numbers at my diabetes wellness appointment in November. I'm also looking forward to seeing my nasty SIL's face when I reach my goal. :tongue:
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    after I lost the first 5 I started rewarding myself with a lipstick( drugstore) for every pound lost after that, so I have about 14 more to get...
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty lucky because exercise is my reward. The more I exercise consistently, the more fun it is. I twisted my ankle recently and I could not run for 2 months. It has forced me to do other things and they are fun too!

if there was a "carrot" for me ... I have piles of clothes in the closet that I used to wear. When I get to a certain bodyfat level I am going to see which ones I can get back into!
  • bernicesmission
    Options
    When i started just over a week ago me and my husband sat down and decided the rewards, I think it felt more special that he choose my rewards as it gave me an added pressure but also an added enjoyment when i achieve them i made sure none of my rewards were food orientated.
    My rewards are for every 5 kg i lose and i want to lose 45kg so thats alot of rewards.
    The first 5kg is dinner out and a movie!
    It personally helps me, also my husband is the one who records my weightloss he weighs me every monday morning...this helps me alot i dont feel i am alone in the process and always have his support!
  • Ladoncella05
    Options
    This summer my goal was to create a habit of working out and getting to a point where I'd enjoy going to the gym. I've noticed that if I focus on losing lbs and for whatever reason didn't lose anything I tend to get discouraged. So instead I focus on how many days I go to the gym. In the beginning of the month I have a certain amount of days I need to complete to get my reward. I'm trying to keep my rewards fitness related. For example, I just bought myself a new Polar heart rate monitor. Now that I had this I wanted to go workout. If I complete the number of days I set for myself I plan to get...
    August: new Nike sneakers
    September: Zumba DVDs
    October: new gym clothes.
    Doing it this way has kept me motivated because I'm not at all focused on the scale instead I'm more focused on the number of days I completed my workout. The weight loss will just happen without me really focusing on it. I've always started to have a workout schedule with the only goal of losing weight. And for whatever reason I always get discouraged and give up. But this time it was different. I'm at a point where I look forward to going to the gym. Overall it helps me feel better. And I think that for me that's also a reward in itself.
  • cazcarr89
    Options
    I haven't had any rewards as such but I think I might start as its a fab idea and will definately motivate me!

Lose 10lbs - Treat myself to some new clothes
    Lose 20lbs - Tattoo of my daughters name :)
    Lose 30lbs - Maybe a holiday just to prove I can wear a bikini again!
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    I'm trying to that too but I don't know since I have the power to buy it anyway even if I don't... It happened before and it didn't really helped. So now my mom offered me reward for exercise and results in my weight loss. She knows I wanted to do this and want to help me out.
    100 dollars for a month = 30 minutes exercise of everyday w/ results ( weight loss?)

So far, I'm trying hard and she gave me money so I guess it is like working? It helps a little bit but not too much. I'm trying to do just do it mentally that my friend told me and it just shocked me that I don't need motivation but just do it because I know the end will be happy :)

BUT yeah I guess I go for like if I lose certain of weight, I can go to do activities w/ my friends like camping, wildwave, the fair? It costs a lot of money and I know I will lose out a lot of fun if I can't go so it is my punishment if I can't lose the pounds before the event.
    My friends would bother me so much if I reject to not go and I have no reason to say why....
  • bigjoost
    bigjoost Posts: 53
    Options
    I have a different take, I think. I have not given myself any specific rewards along the way. I am doing this to be healthy and the most exciting things to me are being able to carry in 6-8 bags of groceries, up steps, and not get out of breath, being able to lift weights I never thought I could lift, & being able to run for 40 minutes. It's waking up in the morning feeling good and ready to do what I need to do.

My reward comes every day that I am healthier than the day before. It comes in the choices I make for myself that I never took the time to make before. It comes in the feeling of being strong. I am my best motivator, because no one else can do this for me. That is also a great reward - especially for this girl who used to have all the excuses for not taking care of myself.

I feel like this is the right way (for me at least). I don't have set rewards, but I can have some nice things every once in a while. But to be more healthy I don't need any rewards. I like going to the gym now, I like to push myself. Seeing change is rewarding enough.

The point based system sounds good too though if that helps you personally.