for those that use a fit bit

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
i am wondering when you started using your fit bit, did you find that you burned less or more cals during reg activities then you thought?

i am thinking of getting one to see how many cal i general burn with regular daily activities so i can adjust my daily cals appropriately.

Replies

• jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You have to keep in mind that the fitbit estimates cals burned based on steps, not on your heartbeat. An HRM more accurately estimates cals burned during exercise. I use my fitbit to keep me motivated during my desk job. I use an HRM to see how many cals I burn during actual exercise. For example, going to BodyPump and the Y, my fitbit will estimate a low cal burn because I'm doing a lot of lifting, not a lot of walking, when in reality I'm burning a lot of calories.

If you're concerned about getting an accurate burn estimate during workouts, an HRM is the way to go. If you're looking to stay motivated to move about during the day and get more steps, then the fitbit is great for that.

Hope this makes sense!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    ^^ what is said above. But I was also surprised that apart from my exercise, i was rather very sedentary. So it has definetly made me walk around more . Btw, i have desk job too :)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    yes i am not concerned about cals burnt during exercises, i want to know how active i really am during the day in general with my job. This way i can set my daily cals better to work with how active i really am daily. I do have a hrm for exercising and i seem to be on a average amount daily with my workouts so i log the same daily. plus i also use the tdee method so it's not like i am eating back exercise cals. but i always wondered if i am cheating myself by eating to much or too little b/c i don't know how active i really am during the day with my job.