The Super Duper Hungry Girl! Help meeee lol

Options
Hey Everyone!

Yesterday I started my weight loss journey and it dawned on me how much I love to eat! Not only do I love to eat, but I'm soooo hungry - I mean real legitimate hunger (not just cravings)! My daily caloric goal is about 1500 - not too low by any means - and yesterday I was able to keep near that goal by only passing it by 50 calories. That was quite an achievement for me! I was so proud of myself! But this morning I have had hunger pangs like never before! I'm doing pretty well so far - it's noon and I'm only halfway to my goal.

I'm curious to hear what you guys have done to overcome that first torturous week of change. I know once I get past week 1 I'll be fine... but I've made attempts on and off over the past few months to get back on track and I haven't been able to get past the first couple of days.

Currently I'm eating mostly whole natural foods. The volume of food I consume is huge - most of my foods are very low calorie (ie lots of veggies!), but for some reason these foods seem to digest at lightning speed and I feel hungry again soon after. Here is an example of a typical day:

Breakfast:

40g old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup 1% milk
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp psyllium husks
cinnamon

Snack

1 1/2 cups Romaine lettuce
2 tbsps Newman's Own lite honey mustard
2 hard boiled eggs

Lunch

1/2 bag frozen green beans (the bag that has about 5 servings of veggies in it)
1/2 cup pinto beans
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup barley

Snack

2 slices Ezekiel 4:9 bread
1 ounce colby cheese

Snack

Think Thin protein bar

Dinner

1/2 bag frozen green beans (leftovers from lunch)
1 tsp olive oil
1 can chunk light tuna

I think my diet is on track as far as choosing the proper things to eat and consuming the right number of calories, but I can't figure out how to turn off my hunger button!

One thing I'm very curious to hear is from those who have tried supplements - which ones have worked for you? I'll try anything to get me past week 1! Ones I have tried before: Lipo 6x and OxyElite Pro... I'm not crazy about Oxy's new formula, it doesn't work as well as the old stuff.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any responses!!

Replies

• meechster20001
    meechster20001 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Drink loads of water...it's not the most exciting thing but it does fill you up and quite often when you think you're hungry it's really thirst or so someone told me! Good luck xx
  • LisaOnAMission007
    Options
    Drink tons of water, and add more protein/fat. I remember a few years ago, I only wanted to drop like 15lbs. The only thing that seemed to work and kept me in the 1500 calorie range once I got home from work, was to make a protein shake an hour before bed, made with water, chocolate protein (no sugar/low carb) and I'd add in a tbsp of flax seed oil. SURE.. I was still hungry, but it worked like crazy! I ended up dropping 3lbs a week.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I agree, add more protein, fat, and fiber to your diet. I have my calorie goal set to a tiny bit below 1600 and thats all based off of my BMR, and I am a pretty sedentary person. You might not be eating enough for what your body needs.

I used this to calculate my daily caloric needs:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

My diary is open if you want to take a look & get some ideas.
  • OtchCake82
    Options
    Drink loads of water...it's not the most exciting thing but it does fill you up and quite often when you think you're hungry it's really thirst or so someone told me! Good luck xx

Thanks so much!! I do drink a lot of water... I really don't drink anything else except for unsweet tea sometimes. I think my body is so used to eating very calorie dense foods from being off my healthy eating plan that it doesn't know what to do with so many low calorie veggies. I know the only time in my day where I actually feel satisfied is for an hour after I eat my protein bar (very dense food). I know my body will be reset after a week to do very well and feel full after veggies... it's just getting to that point. Ugh this is tough!! :)
  • OtchCake82
    Options
    Drink tons of water, and add more protein/fat. I remember a few years ago, I only wanted to drop like 15lbs. The only thing that seemed to work and kept me in the 1500 calorie range once I got home from work, was to make a protein shake an hour before bed, made with water, chocolate protein (no sugar/low carb) and I'd add in a tbsp of flax seed oil. SURE.. I was still hungry, but it worked like crazy! I ended up dropping 3lbs a week.

Oh that's awesome advice!! Thank you! I've noticed when I eat my protein bar I actually feel full... it's the only thing that really makes me feel satisfied. I'll have to try the protein shake before bed! The evening is when I have the most trouble. I save a good amount of calories for dinner, but for some reason I feel like I'm starving before bed and can't fall asleep.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    IMO, you are lacking in the protein department and that could be contributing to your hunger. I would add more protein to your breakfast and to your lunch as well.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    your day looks tasty and fibrous but it's crying for some fat! perhaps add a second ounce of cheese in at lunch time or for a snack? or slap some more peanut butter, even just a tbsp, in your breakfast. it's great that you're seated firmly on the veggie train, do you like avocado? those suckers are beautiful, fatty, fibrous little creatures.

some additional fat will help you feel more satiated and allow you to continue to eat the volume of veg that you enjoy, while giving yous body something else to 'chew' on after it whisks through the roughage.

i also second the comments about drinking water, but don't overdo it because that can lead to more problems than it's worth. good luck and keep up the good work!
  • HarrietSmeltzer1
    HarrietSmeltzer1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You probably food. Eat each meal slowly and enjoy. Buy yourself a small colorful set of dinnerware at the dollar store and keep only for you. Make eating a seperate event dont read and eat. If something is bothering you journal. Also if you are a Christian ask God to partner with you and help you obsess less about food. I lost 80 lbs parterning with God about life and food. Good luck you can view my before and after i lost 9 on myfittness but the 80 has been off for 10 years it is 89 lbs now
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of black beans and drink lots of water! The black beans are full of protein and fiber, and the water keeps me full too. Boredom is the worst though, so be sure to stay active. When I get bored, like most people, I check the fridge. Yep still the same, but I typically snag something even if I am not hungry. So keep boredom at bay! Feel free to check out my diary. I don't eat the best, but you will see a whole wheat tortillia plus 1/2 cup black beans with a tablespoon of salsa is just 170 calories. It's my favorite go to food right now.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Up the fat and protein content and water. A light snack of perhaps yogurt or cottage cheese and hour or so before bed helped me with the midnight munchies.

Keep strong and good Eating!!!
  • mariahk35
    Options
    the first week or two I would wake up in the middle of the night starving, I'd drink water and go back to bed. Honestly I don't have any great words of wisdom. I just suffered through it. It did eventually stop but there were a couple of rough weeks. Sorry I don't have great advice, but sounds as though others do. ;-)
  • MegsLeaBrown
    MegsLeaBrown Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has been saying already - plenty of water (or if you don't like water plain like me, water with MIO, crystal lite or other flavoring added.) If I feel hungry I usually try to drink a glass of water first and wait a few minutes before I decide if I am really hungry. Also consider if you are actually hungry or just bored. I have a bad habit of eating while bored for sure!

Another good tip is to find foods that are high in fiber - the fiber will fill you up and leave you fuller for longer. Like what was already said - protein/fat dense foods also help to satisfy cravings for longer as well. So a good idea for a snack is to combine something with protein, some carbs and fiber together (cheese & crackers, GREEK yogurt, apple with peanut butter, etc.)

Also spreading out your calories for the day into smaller meals - for example splitting up your breakfast into 2 so that you have 1/2 of right away and the other 1/2 an hour or two later. This can help with the initial period of time where your body has to adjust to the changes in both the amounts and timings of eating.

Another thing that I consider since I have a horrible sweet tooth is the need for a small sweet snack after each meal - for example I will have one cookie or a mini/bite size chocolate bar, etc. as a mini dessert after lunch and dinner. It seems to help me feel more satisfied after my main meals and not go hunting for snacks sooner.

Save enough calories for a small snack before bed (I usually save about 100cal); have something on the lighter side, like a few crackers or 1-2 cookies. This will help with the early morning feelings of extreme hunger. Think about how you used to eat as a child, what did your parents do? Often you would have a small bed-time snack to keep you from getting up hungry in the night (or at least I did anyway ;)).

hope this helps!!
  • MegsLeaBrown
    Options
    your day looks tasty and fibrous but it's crying for some fat! perhaps add a second ounce of cheese in at lunch time or for a snack? or slap some more peanut butter, even just a tbsp, in your breakfast. it's great that you're seated firmly on the veggie train, do you like avocado? those suckers are beautiful, fatty, fibrous little creatures.

some additional fat will help you feel more satiated and allow you to continue to eat the volume of veg that you enjoy, while giving yous body something else to 'chew' on after it whisks through the roughage.

i also second the comments about drinking water, but don't overdo it because that can lead to more problems than it's worth. good luck and keep up the good work!

Just curious - what types of problems do you see from "overdoing water"? As far as I know, if you don't have any medical problems like diabetes, chronic heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, hypertension, kidney failure, etc. it would be incredibly difficult to "overdo" water. I guess the only issue would be having to urinate more frequently until your body becomes accustomed to the increase in water.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Have you been exercising and eating back those calories? For myself, I wouldn't find only 1500 calories a day, very sustainable. I am a bit of a 'dirty' eater too, so I would not make it long on your daily list of foods before going crazy. You haven't mentioned your own food preferences, but ask yourself if you can eat like that forever. Incorporating, logging, and budgeting a treat here and there, might make the journey easier. It's a lifestyle change, after all, so try to enjoy!
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Try adding a low cal soup (like cabbage soup)...this is very low in calories and is very filling. I have a 2 cup serving with my salad at lunch and sometimes have a servings when I get home while I cook dinner....great low cal filler IMHO.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think you're feeling hungry because you're not eating meat or carbs. You can have 4-6 ounces of lean meat, turkey, chicken with your meal and a serving of rice, quinoa or small baby potatoes to make your meals an actual meal. The portein bars will give you protein but it's not sustainable to actually eating protein. Since calories are at a premium, I make the most of my calories and still stay at or around my calorie goal. Everyone is on the protein shake and bars kick but that's not for me. I prefer to eat real food because I'm not gonna eat protein bars and/or shakes for the rest of my life and a diet should be a life style change. I don't know what ingredients are in the bars or shakes. However, I do know the ingredients of a chicken breast or a turkey wing and I can pronounce all the ingredients. Try to eat regular foods, but in moderation and smaller portions, subsitute candy for fruit and add plenty of green veggies to every meal, and lower calorie snack foods. I've incorporated cheese because cheese is a great lower calorie snack that fills you up. Just my personal opinion
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Just curious - what types of problems do you see from "overdoing water"? As far as I know, if you don't have any medical problems like diabetes, chronic heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, hypertension, kidney failure, etc. it would be incredibly difficult to "overdo" water. I guess the only issue would be having to urinate more frequently until your body becomes accustomed to the increase in water.
    i'm talking like, multiple gallons a day overdoing it. some people take the 'drink to keep yourself from feeling hungry!' thing way too far. most people don't go that far, but if you drink too much and you're not compensating for that by eating foods that will replenish the electrolyte balance in your body, you can become very sick. i probably should have prefaced my statement with an extremity factor on what i meant by overdoing. you're totally right!
  • MegsLeaBrown
    Options

i'm talking like, multiple gallons a day overdoing it. some people take the 'drink to keep yourself from feeling hungry!' thing way too far. most people don't go that far, but if you drink too much and you're not compensating for that by eating foods that will replenish the electrolyte balance in your body, you can become very sick. i probably should have prefaced my statement with an extremity factor on what i meant by overdoing. you're totally right!

Glad that you clarified your point - it makes much more sense now! I definitely agree with you that excessive water intake for weight loss methods such as water fasting is definitely dangerous - but my reasoning differs because usually the problems of this type of "dietary plan" are related to the lack of glucose intake which is necessary for brain function and not normally the electrolyte balance (in a healthy adult). Increased water intake alone is not likely to interfere with electrolytes to the point that would cause a real issue assuming your kidneys are functioning normally - they can usually compensate for the extra water.

It is possible on under extremely rare circumstances to cause a water intoxication from going overboard, but you would have to be trying VERY VERY hard to drink enough water to cause it; or you would need to be under the right environmental circumstances - things like extreme exercise (long marathons) where you had no food and drank only pure filtered water the entire time. Most commonly it is due to the wrong saline solution given in an IV.

Very valid points that you posed! Maybe the next discussion topic! ;)