Doctor Says....

Options
I am pre diabetic and I have read stories where people refused the medication and are doing well from changing their diet and losing the weigh/exercising. I know what I need to do as far as eating healthier and losing weight. I do not want to be on medication all my life. Is there anyone who has type 2 diabetes and controlled it without medicine?

Replies

• tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have type 2 diabetes and am controlling very well without meds. I have had at the beginning an A1C of 7.1, it is now down to 6.1 and has been staying there. I will see where it is at in January, I cannot wait.

It can be done, and you can do it.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Last November, my husband was told he was pre-diabetic at his annual physical.
    This past spring @ his DOT physical he was told he was no longer pre-diabetic. He was eating the same things that I eat and the result is he is no longer pre-diabetic.
    It can be controlled with just diet and exercise.
    Best of luck to you.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Aw Thank you :)
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    It can definitely be done. I'm just concerned with your wording " refused the medication". I would absolutely take any medication your doctor said you needed & then work on getting off of them by losing weight & controlling your diet. Diabetes can do some major damage.
  • ambermpage
    ambermpage Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic about 2 months ago. My A1C was @ 6.4. I went to a pre-diabetic class and was told that I could do the medication or I could lose weight and that would help to reduce the #'s. I chose to try to lose the weight first for a few reasons. One, I will feel better about myself; two, it will be a personal accomplishment to myself if I can get the 6.4 down by losing the weight through diet and exercise; and three, I won't have to rely on a pill to get the number down. If you can get the number down far enough, you will be in the "safe zone" again and it will have all be worth it! GOOD LUCK!!
  • HarrietSmeltzer1
    HarrietSmeltzer1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was on nsulin and was taken off that and put on a pill after i lost weight. As much as doctors make me nuts at times i suggest you ask if you i if you could take something natural but would say take your sugar for awhile too make sure it is behaving with just diet and something natural
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thanks everyone..I haven't heard from my Doctor but she said she wants me to come in and do more tests :(
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My mom had type 2 and she controlled hers with food only and she was ok.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thank you :) I know what I have to do I just need to do it lol