Recumbent Bike (Stationary) and correct calorie burn?

Options
I just started yesterday with the recumbent bike. I had been doing JM's 30DS, but the impact from the cardio sections was just too much for my joints. I have chronic back and joint pain that make running difficult(probably due to the fact that I'm considered obese according to my BMI, though I've dealt with bad joints for as long as I remember, including before I gained all the weight). Running is somewhat tolerable, but fairly unpleasant, so I wanted to find something that hurt my knees/ankles/hips less. One of my friends suggested a stationary bike as a lower impact way to get in some cardio.

I did my first workout yesterday, and went for 45 minutes. I kept my heart rate between 145-150+ the entire time based on the built in monitor, and tried to go 15 MPH or more (was between 15-20 MPH the whole time minus warm up and cool down). I was breathing pretty hard through most of it, and worked up a killer sweat. Total distance was 12.3 miles if I remember correctly. Based on the research I've done, >15 MPH is considered "vigorous". However, when I logged it in MFP, it registered as 778 calories burned! (The bike itself said 700 exactly). Now, while I would be THRILLED if I actually burned that much, I highly doubt it. My question is, does anyone know how to get a more accurate calorie count? I'm 5'8", 218 lbs, and 24 years old if that helps. Thanks!

Replies

• karu4link2479
    Options
    Bump
  • karu4link2479
    Options
    Anyone?
  • shortnsweetbb
    Options
    I wish I could help, but it's a question I have too! I use the recumbent bike for my cardio because I am having issues with my knees and hip and the treadmill is too hard on them. Hoping someone comments and gives us both some insight! :)
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent bike too. I don't even take in consideration the amount of calories it says I have burned, because cardio equipment always overestimate calorie consumption... and in my opinio it also overestimate your "speed".
    IMHO also MFP overestimate calorie consumption for some exercise. Anyway, I use the "vigorous effort" option only for my HIIT sessions.
    Give a look here: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CycleMechMETs.html

Your model is likely using very similar formula if it's asking for some of the same input.

Then again it may not ask for much, because it knows how much resistance it's providing in watts, and watts literally is a measure of energy, just like calories is.

500 watts avg over an hour is 430 calories.

Doesn't matter how old or young or light or heavy you are, it just takes so much energy to overcome a known resistance.

Much like lifting 5 lbs off the ground, gravity is the known resistance, and who you are doesn't matter. If you choose to lift it with outstretched arm now in front of you and over your head, then yes, that is actually more weight at the end of a lever and takes more energy.

So you can have some personal efficiency differences on the recumbent, but much as the saying goes, "just like riding a bike" because it becomes so second hand, there isn't much difference on inside models until you get in to much higher levels of training.

Oh yeah, if you used speed based descriptions on inside bike, forget it. Those entries are for outside where the faster you go wind resistance also starts playing a major factor, but you don't get that inside. So MFP bike riding for speed is very wrong, even compared to wedgie and recumbent versions.