Paleo vs Ramen - Oh, the humanity!

Options
I started eating Paleo (ok, Primal, whatever) last June. I lost 26 lbs. Yay for me. I don't force it on my kids, who are 5.5 and 4 years old, but they see how I eat, and they know exactly which foods are healthy and which foods are not (aka "Daddy desserts").

Most of the time, they eat really well. We get most of our produce and meat through CSAs, they like almost everything, and aside from the last month of takeout extravagance since we're in house-moving mode, I cook some pretty awesome paleo meals (thank you, nomnompaleo.com!)

But... on days when I travel, or go out with the girls, and Dad is in charge of feeding the boys, they sometimes eat some... less than healthy foods. Like Ramen.

My boys are CRAZY for RAMEN!

And really, who isn't? I get it. I was a total Ramen aficionado too. In high school, my mom would serve chicken and broccoli for dinner and I would eat Ramen instead, claiming I was "carbo-loading" for lacrosse. In college, I ate Ramen almost daily. It's a wonderful hangover cure.

Truth be told, I still love Ramen, with it's curly sit-in-your-belly-like-a-brick salty goodness. I just choose not to eat it anymore. It's a gateway food for me. If I eat Ramen, then it's not long before I'm mainlining pretzels and saltines and oreos and bagels and once I hit the bagels, I'm ready to be admitted to carb rehab. There are those who can moderate, and those who can't, and I'm in the latter camp.

But the other night, we came home from eating a picnic at the park. Of course, the boys barely ate their dinner because they were too busy playing. The BEGGED for Ramen before they went for bath and bed. I mean, BEGGED!!!!

So I gave in, and "cooked" them some.

My oldest, the five year old, is slurping it up with extreme pleasure. And then he says, "Mom, on Christmas Eve, way, way, way, way, WAY before Santa comes, can we eat Ramen before we go to bed?"

Yes, my son is planning his Ramen menu five months in advance.

I mean, the good thing is, he realizes that Ramen is a food to be eaten rarely. And yet, it's become a special food, reserved for special occasions like when Mom is gone and Santa is coming.

Is that a Paleo Mom success story? Or nightmare?

Sigh. I'm not crazy. Ramen is damned fine stuff, and it was my comfort food growing up, and now it's the same for my kids. Ain't no way a zucchini noodle can change that.

/Ramen rant/ode

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Everybody Loves Ramen. - Great name for a t.v. show.

I think a little of what makes you happy is good. :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    OP, I want to tell you the true story of what happened after I read this.

Me: Hmm. Ramen. It's been a while. *head to kitchen, get water on. Break ramen block in half, weigh it to be sure. Ramen enters pot*

Husband: You cooking?

Me: Ramen. You want?

Husband: No.

*three minutes later*

Husband: Actually yes.

And now here we are, both of us, eating Ramen. I put tuna and cheese in mine in an attempt to make it fit my macros, because Ramen is that serious.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I miss long runs followed by quality ramen and beer.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Just stuff some bacon in a Styrofoam cup full of water and salt. Tell them its what cavemen ate in college.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Zucchini noodles and spaghetti squash will never replace a real noodle, even most gluten free products are a stretch... if your kid isn't gluten sensitive then what's the issue?

If he's active and eats fairly well and balanced, well he's ahead of most children in this country.

Santa loves Ramen, btw. Even more than cookies... at least I like to think so because I have way more of a savory tooth than a sweet one.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    OP, I want to tell you the true story of what happened after I read this.

Me: Hmm. Ramen. It's been a while. *head to kitchen, get water on. Break ramen block in half, weigh it to be sure. Ramen enters pot*

Husband: You cooking?

Me: Ramen. You want?

Husband: No.

*three minutes later*

Husband: Actually yes.

And now here we are, both of us, eating Ramen. I put tuna and cheese in mine in an attempt to make it fit my macros, because Ramen is that serious.

Say it isn't so! Tuna and Ramen? Tuna and CHEESE and Ramen? Are there Ramen police, because this is a serious offense to humanity. Adding chicken or shrimp or beef... Ok. But tuna and cheese? Noooooooooo.
  • caribougal
    Options
    Just stuff some bacon in a Styrofoam cup full of water and salt. Tell them its what cavemen ate in college.

My kids would probably like that.
  • caribougal
    Options
    Zucchini noodles and spaghetti squash will never replace a real noodle, even most gluten free products are a stretch... if your kid isn't gluten sensitive then what's the issue?

If he's active and eats fairly well and balanced, well he's ahead of most children in this country.

Santa loves Ramen, btw. Even more than cookies... at least I like to think so because I have way more of a savory tooth than a sweet one.

I haven't had gluten free noodles, but I actually prefer zucchini noodles over pasta now. But I give my kids regular noodles. I offer them zoodles, and figure some day they might actually try them.

We did discuss giving Santa some Ramen, but the kids insisted that he only wants ginger snaps and milk. Can't break some traditions.
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i was going to respond until i read tuna and cheese in ramen. i'm now scarred for life and will never enter another nutrition thread as long as i live. :noway:
  • caribougal
    Options

Forget protein drinks and sweet potatoes. Quality carb loading right there.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I think ramen is okay every once in awhile. You can try using less of the seasoning to make it less sodium-y... I like to add veggies and eggs and stuff to make mine "healthier" and jazz it up. Its better to split a block than eat the whole package.
  • RunningSwede
    RunningSwede Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ramen? Paleo? Not sure, but I do know an Alaskan Grizzly Bear can pack on enough fat to survive a winter siesta on an uber-paleo diet of nothing but fresh river salmon sashimi and mountain grown organic blueberries and huckleberries fresh off the bush…
  • BeachIron
    Options

Forget protein drinks and sweet potatoes. Quality carb loading right there.

Hey, I always ordered double pork with mine! :wink: :drinker:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Katsu Curry Ramen FTW
    FNnKlTP.jpg?1
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It's been a long time since I've eaten ramen, mostly because I usually put the whole flavor packet in and I'm really trying to cut back on my sodium so until I figure out how to control myself with the flavor packet, no ramen except rarely. I think since December(ish) I've had ramen noodles maybe three times and that's probably being generous. When I do make ramen I usually put either eggs or veggies in it. The first time someone mentioned putting eggs in it, I wasn't sure I'd even like it, let alone try it, but now, I've decided I do in fact like eggs in my ramen.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Katsu Curry Ramen FTW
    FNnKlTP.jpg?1

Pure evil here. I'm incredibly jealous.
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Truth be told, I still love Ramen, with it's curly sit-in-your-belly-like-a-brick salty goodness. I just choose not to eat it anymore. It's a gateway food for me. If I eat Ramen, then it's not long before I'm mainlining pretzels and saltines and oreos and bagels and once I hit the bagels, I'm ready to be admitted to carb rehab.

Dont diss bagels! there is nothing wrong with carbs especially wholemeal varieties of pasta, rice and bread.

I eat wholemeal bagels and cream cheese every morning for breakfast and am losing weight, one whole new York fruit & oat bagel and one triangle of laughing cow lite cream cheese is a total of 260 calories but more importantly has 9g of protein and 4g of fibre in the bagel alone.

Wholemeal varieties of carbs are also satisfying foods on the glycaemic index and I think eating from all the food groups and not excluding food groups is the best approach to healthy living
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    i was going to respond until i read tuna and cheese in ramen. i'm now scarred for life and will never enter another nutrition thread as long as i live. :noway:

Haters stay hating. Oriental flavored ramen with a little sesame oil and tuna is amazeballs, as far as prepackaged ramen goes. Beyond that the the fresh noodle houses around here will put anything you ask for in your ramen. I like egg and fish in a fish broth, yum
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    wagamama-chilli-ramen-with-sirloin-steak.jpg

I had this yesterday for lunch - 600+ calories but 50g of protein - ramen heaven. Every now and then only salty noodles will do......
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Haters stay hating. Oriental flavored ramen with a little sesame oil and tuna is amazeballs, as far as prepackaged ramen goes. Beyond that the the fresh noodle houses around here will put anything you ask for in your ramen. I like egg and fish in a fish broth, yum

yeah, that's kinda different than tuna and cheese, lol.