How do you stay motivated???

Options
I've been struggling to stay motivated for the past few months. I'd love to hear what other use to stay focused and on track.

I've been grasping at all types of things to get my fire back - sometimes I think about my kids and staying healthy for them, sometimes I try on some of old clothes or check out an picture of myself too see how far I've come AND remind myself I don't want to go back to where I started, or I'll just write down some new goals and try to map out a path on how to get there. It's not always easy but I try to use whatever I can to make sure I keep it moving. Sometimes I just stop by MFP and get motivated by someone else posting about their workout, race time, transformation, fitness pic, or reporting that they just reached a new goal whatever it may be....

Yeah, I use all kinds of stuff.

What keeps you movin' and motivated?

Replies

• Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I have good days and bad days with my motivation. Today was a good day and I thought I would write it down.
    I made myself list the reasons I wanted to be fit and healthy that had nothing to do with the scale. At the risk of repeating myself

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071235-if-i-did-not-lose-a-singlelb-kg-stone-i-would-be-happy

Go for it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just want to be thin, lol. Like... just so sick of being fat. Somehow this time it seems to be enough.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    motivation is a tricky thing, either you have it or you dont, its all in the mind
    I once had it then lost and now I have it again... and I hope never to lose it!
    being on mfp and people telling me I motivate them or inspire them to be better is also very motivating for me!!
    Good luck in your journey!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Lots of my motivation stems from discovering I can eat delicious and satisfying meals, not feel deprived or hungry, and get in to better shape. Looking forward to enjoying tasty foods every day is a big part of my motivation.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Some days I am so sick of logging food, thinking about what food choice is better than something else, and paying attention to every detail of my health. Those are the days that I remind myself of what my health was like a few months ago. And if it's a particularly bad day where I just don't feel like I can do this anymore, I tell myself to get through the next hour, or just make it until lunch, or dinner, or whatever. Sometimes it's just making it through the next 15 minutes.....LOL. But if I can get through that day, I almost always feel better the next day.

I also make a point to do something else (or rather, not do it). It's more of a way to keep myself from becoming demotivated. Although I have a listed goal of a 110-lb weight loss, I never, NEVER, remind myself how many pounds I still have left to lose. It's much more positive for me to think in terms of how much I've lost instead. And even when I do have 110 lbs off, I will more than likely change my goals to lose more or change something about the way I look/feel.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Lots of my motivation stems from discovering I can eat delicious and satisfying meals, not feel deprived or hungry, and get in to better shape. Looking forward to enjoying tasty foods every day is a big part of my motivation.

this^^^

When I finally realized I didn't have to starve myself to lose weight I actually look forward to meals instead of thinking that they are a "trap".
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I, personally, am motivated by beef.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    When it comes to lifting, I have all the motivation in the world, but anything else, I'm the top procrastinator

all college work I do would be last minute
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

How YOU doin?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

How YOU doin?

Hungry. You?
  • pstones11
    Options
    Health is one.

Look at my wardrobe - they are not the clothes I want to be in :-) Want to be able to go into a shop and not look for the bigger size section.

My motto "If I ain't movin', I ain't losing"

Had a really bad weekend a few weeks bad and it carried on into the week I was so miserable but got out my funk, by going on my bike and spent a couple of hours mountainbiking - that knocked off half a kilo and since then determined that my healthy eating (not diet, wont call it a diet as its a change in eating habits) will not get me down
  • Inner_Goddess
    Inner_Goddess Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    This may seem too simple or shallow, but I'm motivated because I enjoy the attention of men. Not in a creepy way, but when a guy friend notices and says I look good, it's everything. I don't mean to group all men into a category, but they generally don't pay a woman (friend only) a compliment unless they mean it. Plus, I want to look good naked again.
  • BeefyBFit
    BeefyBFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This may seem too simple or shallow, but I'm motivated because I enjoy the attention of men. Not in a creepy way, but when a guy friend notices and says I look good, it's everything. I don't mean to group all men into a category, but they generally don't pay a woman (friend only) a compliment unless they mean it. Plus, I want to look good naked again.

Nothing wrong with wanting to look good naked or admitting that you enjoy a compliment or attention from a member of the opposite sex.....Anyone that knows me, knows that I loves me some attention. :-)
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options

True, men usually ignore women who they don't think are thin and attractive.

That is part of my motivation too as I know that is when I am thin enough. Above a certain weight, I become invisible.

Plus the clothes. I hate my stretch pants and frumpy clothes.
  • heyydanie
    heyydanie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a couple things that motivate me -

The fact that I've lost as much as I have
    And the kids in my classroom. I'm a preschool teacher, and they're 3/4, so they're quick to point out that Miss Danie has a big belly (not in a mean way, of course). But they've noticed that Miss Danie's big belly is shrinking, lol. One of them even told me I'm disappearing.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I would have to say, that after 16 months on MFP - it is not just about motivation. It's about just doing it every day. Weigh/measure/log every thing you eat (be honest - close you diary if you have to, just do it). Then, find some kind of exercise that you will stick with. Or two things that you can rotate. Just move.

What's more important than motivation? Patience. If you do this every day, you will see progress. Make changes so that your lifestyle reflects the healthy person you want to be.
  • mzalessky
    Options
    I get motivated by looking at pictures at My Body Gallery. It helps put into perspective what people at my height look like at different sizes--I don't know many girls my height so it's always been hard to know how much I want to weigh--and it keeps me focused on where I want to go eventually.

I also like reading other people's success stories. Just knowing that it's very difficult for everyone whether it be in terms of psychological or physical factors makes me feel like I have community of people sharing my pain and encouraging me to do better.

Basically, I try to stay positive and think good thoughts. I also have some pretty jars with stones that represent each pound I've lost and each pound I've yet to lose.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Seeing myslf in a mirror after thinking I'm looking pretty good for an old gal.

I'm NOT!.....there is the flabby waist,the wide hips.That is enough to keep

Me on MFP,keeps me honest in posting & helps me to keep on,keeping on.
  • BeefyBFit
    BeefyBFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    motivation is a tricky thing, either you have it or you dont, its all in the mind
    I once had it then lost and now I have it again... and I hope never to lose it!
    being on mfp and people telling me I motivate them or inspire them to be better is also very motivating for me!!
    Good luck in your journey!

Thanks!

I think you're right....you can't MAKE yourself be motivated, you have to BE motivated. I'm still motivated just not zoned in like I was before and I really want that back! MFP has helped me be motivated for many reasons....i think I'm going to have to start hanging out here more often. It can't hurt. :bigsmile:
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just want to be thin, lol. Like... just so sick of being fat. Somehow this time it seems to be enough.
    This is exactly what is keeping me going this time. For some its not enough, but for the past few months its been plenty for me. I don't foresee the motivation ever leaving this time.

Even health wise, I'm 22 and just graduated and don't want to be fat anymore. New life chapter, new healthy self.