Can someone gain a pound in a day

Options
Yesterday I weighed myself and I was down 2lbs from last weigh in, today I went back on the scale and I'm up a whole pound WTF? How much fluctuation should we expect through the course of a few days?

T

Replies

• chancock6
    Options
    Fluctuation can be a couple pounds, but it is possible to gain a pound in a day if you ate excessively the day before. 3500 + calories is a one pound addition, I'm pretty sure.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    A woman can fluctuate as much as 2-4lbs a week or more depending. There are a lot of thing that could be contributing to that, hormones, water weight, in need of a bathroom trip, did you eat before you weighed... Its honestly not a big deal to bounce between a couple pounds. I've learned the best route is to take measurements every two weeks and go by how you feel. Don't worry we can all get hung up on the scale from time to time.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    1 pound is totally normal. Anywhere up to 4-5 pounds I would not be worried too much about. If you start gaining more than that look at your TDEE. Are you calculating it correctly? Does it need to be updated? Then look at your caloric intake. Are you logging everything you eat? Are you weighing everything you eat?
    3500 calories = 1 pound. Unless you eat over your TDEE by 3500 calories in one day that weight is normal fluctuation.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You can't gain a lb of fat in a day.

It's water. 3lbs fluctuation is totally normal. Can be as high as 5 if you're premenstrual or have an abnormally high sodium day or a ton of carbs.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

It's water. 3lbs fluctuation is totally normal. Can be as high as 5 if you're premenstrual or have an abnormally high sodium day or a ton of carbs.

I've eaten over 5000 calories at the state fair before... pretty sure I gained a lb of fat :).
  • tmalikia
    tmalikia Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I weigh as soon as I get up in the morning before I eat. Yesterday I ate out so no idea as to how many calories that was sine they don't have nutrition information on their site. I'm sure it's high but I worked out extra because of it and I tried to eat really clean the rest of the day. I'm trying not to get to upset as long as I'm losing. My clothes are feeling a little looser. I'll hold to that. Yhanks
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Please go here and read this: http://www.paulplakas.com/2013/08/stupid-scale/
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Restuant food is usually very high in sodium which can cause you to retain water. Perhaps that's what happened?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I've eaten over 5000 calories at the state fair before... pretty sure I gained a lb of fat :).

I highly doubt it. A lot of that probably ended up in the toilet later....
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options

Very good advise!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I don't care what others say but I know you can gain a pound in a day...if you eat a pound of food..now if you want to get technical and say a pound of fat flab or whatever who knows...but it you are packing it in and not thinking about what your eating then chances are yep its a gain...
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

I gained 5lbs in a day just last week. :sad: TOM coupled with a high sodium day. And it's taking it's time leaving too. :explode:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I highly doubt it. A lot of that probably ended up in the toilet later....

I doubt that as well. Take account your bmr and then the calories you burned walking around....you still didn't gain a pound.