please help - exercising with weights

Options
avlama
avlama Posts: 502 Member
Hi everyone,

My question is, I'm wanting to start an exercise regimen that includes weights, however I don't have the slightest idea where to start. I don't have a gym membership and can't join anytime soon. I do have some 8 and 20 lbs dumbbells, and my husband has and old bench press with bar and weights available. I have tried looking online for an easy and dumb down explanation or schedule to help me start, but the more I read the more I get confused. I'm basically asking for anyone's help to guide me to a website, or if you have a workout regimen/schedule that could help me start, i would appreciate it.

I have about 20 pounds to lose to reach my goal. I have no upper body strength whatsoever, seriously none (can't do a regular push up) and my cardio isn't great. Wondering if I should start a workout regimen without weights first until I build some strength (push up, sit ups, squats) that sort of thing, or would I benefit from using small weights right from the beginning? I've come a long way. Haven't been consistent but I'm not willing to give up. I'm determined to reach my goal and be healthy and fit.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help provided.

Replies

• fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm in a similar place as you (except I have more to lose). I can't do even one regular pushup either! I too am wanting to focus on strength training while losing weight because I don't want to lose lean muscle tissue.

I have been trying different things including doing the exercises from Jorge Cruise's book, "Eight Minutes in the Morning". Another thing I just did was to join the following MFP group. It begins tomorrow and and although I will be slightly modifying some of the exercises (I can't do a full lunge yet or a full pushup yet) I think if I keep with it, I will get better.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/50383-calisthenics-for-the-beginner
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Using weights sounds like a good idea to me. You could try goblet squats, using both hands to hold a 20-pound weight and biceps curls and pressing overhead with the 8-lb weights. A rule of thumb I've seen is to find an exercise you can complete about 8-11 reps of with good form (last few should take some effort, but be possible with good form). When that gets too easy, add more weight.

For push-ups, what helped me was to practice holding a plank position. Working my way up to a minute helped strengthen my lower back, abs, and shoulders to get me ready for the motion of a push-up.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    you tube will become your new best friend. You can find any exercise routine you want for free in "you tube".. my favorite for arms is "Tank Top Arms" . Google that and several options appear. Choose the one that is 10:58 minutes long w/ "Fit Sugar" & Holly Perkins! You can thank me later..this is definitely my (go to) routine when I'm traveling and can't get to the gym!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mogginsthemog
    mogginsthemog Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ATM - day 10 - I'm doing 2sets of 30 'ab crunches' and 2sets of 20 dumbell 'bicep curls'. I'm just trying to get the ab muscles & upper body in some sort of shape, nothing too spectacular. The dumbells are about 7Kg each. Will add a couple more exercises over next few weeks, very slight improvement I think..
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I started out doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, which gave me the strength to do push-ups and also a foundation for learning form with weights for doing squats, lunges and arm/shoulder moves. It's on Youtube for free.

From there, I started with Stronglifts 5x5, which I think is a great beginner's lifting program. It's only two workouts that you alternate. It's not a lot of different movements, mostly just squats, rows, and bench presses, so you have a chance to learn the form as you move up in strength.

Good luck in whatever you decide! :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I would just skip the 8 lbs dumbbell. Maybe start with the 20 lbs?

I can't make it to the gym everyday. So I plan on incorporating body-weight exercises.

Specifically I am looking into convict conditioning and I just bought myself a sandbag. (under $50 on Amazon).

I did Strong Lifts (3x5) for a few months before I got myself a trainer. SL or Starting strength are a great place to start.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I would just skip the 8 lbs dumbbell. Maybe start with the 20 lbs?

Why would she skip the 8lb dumbbells? She just said she doesn't have much upper body strength.. I started with 5lb dumbbells.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I am in a similar position to you, and found this site. It looks straightforward to me, and even I understood what he was explaining!
    Good luck.
  • FitToBeKim
    FitToBeKim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    In for the info.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    if you're looking to lose weight, like myself. as ive learnt from my pt at the gym you need to use functional movements of the big muscle groups. all you really need is simple stuff like some kettle bells or free weights. you should perhaps look at HIIT or Tabata training online. its not something you can do everyday because it takes a lot out of you.

http://tabatatraining.org/

http://beta.active.com/cycling/Articles/High-Intensity-Interval-Training-for-Beginners

ive started doing tabata training at the gym using just a kettlebell a 10kg powerbag and heavy rope around a pole (the rope workout is a killer, nothing makes me more tired) whether doing Tabata helps you lose more calories than steady aerobic exercise or not is debatable. but just throwing out some suggestions for you.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    many gyms have a day fee. see if u can find someone who knows routines and can walk u through proper technique
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    A Squat or variation of it
    A Lower Body Pull (Deadlift, Romanian Deadlift, Good Mornings)
    An Upper Body Horizontal Push (Bench Press)
    An Upper Body Vertical Push (Overhead Press)
    An Upper Body Horizontal Pull (Rows, Inverted Rows, and different variations of them)
    An Upper Body Vertical Pull (Pullups, Chinups, Lat Pulldowns, and variations)
    Perhaps ONE Abdominal specific exercise

Your routine should have one of each of these. I personally like doing it sort of like Starting Strength; alternating the upper body vertical push/pull and horiztonal push/pull while doing the leg and ab exercises every day. However, you could possibly do all of these exercises 3x a week.
  • kyntar
    kyntar Posts: 3
    Options
    Including weights training into a weight loss regiment is a fantastic idea! I'm 160 lbs off in 12 months with a weight training/cardio combo and highly recommend the same for any male/female.

Few tips.......

-Weight train first followed by cardio for more efficient fat burning. Also include slow movements in weight training, for fat loss and toning.

-Learn your weight training exercise's! Proper form plays a big part in your training to maximize results and reduce risk of injury.

-Get yourself a weight training plan, that include rest days. "Rest days are important!"

You can get a free account at bodybuilding.com that will help you put together a plan that fit your goals and has a great exercise database that include video. I use it, and is very helpful.

Good luck, and God bless
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    A Squat or variation of it
    A Lower Body Pull (Deadlift, Romanian Deadlift, Good Mornings)
    An Upper Body Horizontal Push (Bench Press)
    An Upper Body Vertical Push (Overhead Press)
    An Upper Body Horizontal Pull (Rows, Inverted Rows, and different variations of them)
    An Upper Body Vertical Pull (Pullups, Chinups, Lat Pulldowns, and variations)
    Perhaps ONE Abdominal specific exercise

Your routine should have one of each of these. I personally like doing it sort of like Starting Strength; alternating the upper body vertical push/press and horiztonal push/press while doing the leg and ab exercises every day. However, you could possibly do all of these exercises 3x a week.

^^^ THIS THIS THIS! And HEAVY WEIGHTS! Think about it.. we lift BABIES & carry them around! We arent tiny creatures to be handled with care! WE ARE STRONG! Its not like we are asking you to do this all day long for 8 hours. YOU ARE STRONG. You can deffo lift heavy. Piddly small weights arent going to help you! GO BIG!! YOU CAN DO THIS!

edited to say before you start ANY of these.. as silly as it may sound.. MAKE SURE YOU WATCH A VIDEO ON EACH ONE OF THESE ABOUT PROPER FORM!!! I know i know... but if you dont, you will risk severe injury! I couldnt believe i was doing a silly squat wrong! Couldnt for the life of me figure out why my knees were hurting! ONE WEEK later, i was pain free AND my butt atually started to change shape.. after a month of doing it improperly! SO PLEASE DO THIS! :flowerforyou:
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Go to jefit.com, select either a sample workout, or create your own based on the muscles you want to work out, (do not forget to add stretching) and then download the app on your phone to watch the videos for proper technique and inputting your exercise. You can also visit bodybuilding.com for videoas and suggested plans, fitnessblender.com for different exercises with weights, etc. I would also do the pilates from that website so you can strengthen your core. You can fill 2lb water/soda bottles with water if some exercises feel too heavy initially with the 8lb weights.
  • gloryho
    gloryho Posts: 2
    Options
    i have join a strong man gym where we do squats, deadlift and lots of conditioning. join a gym it the best way to avoid injury
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You need a variety of dumbbells for different exercises.

I have a lot of experience in weights, from my younger days (heavier = better = not wise) to now incorporation into my regime from bodyweight training to resistance training.

I have lost 23 pounds in the past 2 years (surpassed my goal) so your goal is about the same as mine. Cardio was my weakest and now much improved. I have found effective ways to do weights without killing my knee (I had a pin from previous injuries) or stupid overkill. Fast and effective is my goal.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Do not go all-or-nothing. Start with whatever you are comfortable with. Maybe it is cardio, maybe it is push up, maybe it is light weight. The purpose is to get your body accumstomed to working out. And your mind too.

2. Get a trainer. Failing that, check out YouTube for professional guidance on the right technique. Doing things wrong will waste your time, not to mention dangerous.

3. A lot of people have successes in trying out various DVDs like Jillian Michaels. You can follow the well designed routine. I do like JM because she incoproates warm up, weight, cardio and cool down in circuits. These DVDs are always on sale these days so a small investment to experiement with it.

4. Fitness Blender has some good ones on YouTube, another possible freebie for you to try.

5. You will very likely need to some 3,5 and 8 pounds if you are very weak. Always good to have those around.

6. Try to find some bodyweight training resources. Basically, push up is a kind of bodyweeigh training, you are using your body and not other weights. Very effecitve but you also need to be very precise with your movements.

Happy to tell you more, I think you will really enjoy the experience, good luck!
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am in love with my kettle bells... they really help with muscle. More muscle = more calories burned at rest, cant go wrong XD
    Kettle bells are great to start with if your not used to weights, again you tube the 'moves' on there

I am afraid i'm a bit of a git when it comes to weights. I do my OWN thing, and make up moves and feel where they are working. BUT when I am using my big kettle bell I do follow to the letter what the trainers do. I know the heavy weights will hurt if I do a move wrong. XD
  • dsmith01
    dsmith01 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm starting to exercise and I have found that the Jillian Michaels DVD are brilliant. They are hard work but I have read a lot of really good reviews. Some of the DVDs use weights so it is a good way to start learning basic routines, she also has a website which gives you some basic moves if you do not want to sign up.

I hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.