Walk vs Jogging

Options
I have read a lot on walking vs. jogging. I realize you burn more jogging in one hour than walking, however, my question is instead of jogging about 5 miles a day for an hour, I plan on walking for 3 hours a day for approximately 10 to 15 miles (whatever distance I can do in 3 hours). I figure this would give me more energy to then work out in the afternoon on weights and other activities. My previous routine was to jog one day 5 miles, next day jog about 1 mile and work out. But this time I would be walking 5 days a week and work out everyday (different body parts). I could also add a jog on Saturdays 3 miles/day giving me 6 days a week of workouts.

What do you think? Which way will I lose more weight faster and get toned at the same time? Thanks!

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    you won't get toned walking. and your weightloss would be no different walking vs not walking and eating less...

you do exercise for non weight loss benefits.
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    I would just rather jog 5 miles and get it over with. 3 hours... yikes!
  • alwayswinter303
    Options
    Why are you switching what you were doing? Sounds pretty solid. Were you not seeing results?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    3 hours a day? And them working out in the afternoon?

Seems like a lot of time.
  • whisperer02
    Options
    Actually I walk 5 to 7 miles a day, started in April and I have toned my arms, leggs, waist and have lost five pounds (And I am not doing it for weight loss).
  • whisperer02
    Options
    Oh, and I do not do weights at all, just walking.
  • blackNyx
    blackNyx Posts: 12
    Options
    Running at a steady 6.7 mph @ 9:10 minute mile I can run a half marathon (13.1 miles) in two hours. Just putting that info out to show how hard it will be to "just walk" 10 or 15 miles a day. You won't be able to do that kind of mileage consistently in under 3 hours. If your body can handle it, I would start running or "jogging" if you prefer the slower pace. Walking (while healthy), is not intense enough to be considered sufficient weight loss unless your diet is in a severe calorie restriction.
  • wannabegonnabe
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I took everyone's advice into mind this morning when I started my new work out. Yes my old routine definitely worked, however, my husband was transferred so I had to move from my house. My house was bought with exercising in mind. It had a pool for laps and to cool off after my run, Almost my entire upstairs was a weight room with a stair master and total gym, free weights, t.v. with exercise dvds and mirrors. Outside my fence in the back was a 2.5 mile run in 3 different directions leaving my house in the middle for a pit stop to fill up water, use bathroom and then run another direction. It sloped down to a creek so it was easy to do a hill run as well if I was short on time. So that being said, I moved and other than a couple of bar bells, everything else went into storage. I am surrounded by highways and I have tried different routes but none of them panned out. So I finally found a place to run that is close to where I live and it's on the beach. ya!

Well, I didn't make the 10 miles or the 3 hours. However, I did do close to 8 miles and 2 hours. I was headed towards my truck at the end really feeling it and it seriously crossed my mind to crawl the rest of the way. I will feel this tomorrow for sure. I have only been doing 3 miles since I have been here (about 8 months) and that's off/on. So I plan on going back to my old routine and do a 5 mile jog/walk daily at the same place on the beach. I'll do an update and let you know how I do. Thanks again.
  • wannabegonnabe
    Options
    So I got up at 6:00 this morning to go for my run on the beach. I didn't jog the entire way but actually walked and then sprinted when I got a burst of energy and walked again - 5 miles, this is perfect for me. My legs didn't hurt at all and it felt GREAT!! I did some other activities today and hope I lose something this week.