epic fail/aka PLS HELP!!!!

Options
EPIC FAIL-- OK, so I set out July 1st to get fit and healthy. July saw a loss of 20 lbs and an overall total of 28--WOOT WOOT!!

BUT...NOW, in Aug, I can do nothing but GAIN weight!! I'm up 5 lbs so far, and it just keeps piling on!!!

SO...I HAVE to think, this may very well be the end of a very, very short journey. I have been working my @55 off every day for 3 HOURS at a rip --BURNING +/- 2000 cals--and if all that's gonna do is pack on the lbs, well then, I can just sit home on my couch and do that!!!!!!!!!

Now, I've heard water/salt weight, fat into muscle and too few cals but I will say I fully expect at least my one MD to call BS----PLS HELP ME!!!!!!!

Replies

• minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding. You're quickly gaining weight, while eating at a deficit? That is not possible.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Are you still doing the same thing you were doing when you were losing?

Are you weighing/measuring all of your food?

Is your calorie goal appropriate for you?

Did you use MFP to set your calorie goal and are you using MFP to log your exercise, and are you eating back exercise calories?

Do you have any indications that you might have some health problem that is causing the weight gain?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your diary is locked and you aren't offering any usable info so no one is going to be able to offer any help.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You work out for 3 hours a day??? Why would you ever do that???

A moderate deficit and a balanced diet with a bit of regular exercise really is all you need....
  • astattonhunt
    astattonhunt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is going to sound weird, but take a couple of days off. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and getting no results. It could be a lot of things. Have you started any medication that you weren't on? Have you changed anything in your diet at all? i changed the type of stevia I was using and started gaining weight, I reacted badly to maltodextrin. I'm focusing on losing weight by controlling blood sugar. It really works, but very slight changes and you can start gaining.

I'm on a program set up by my doctor, and she says sometimes your body just needs something completely different, if your exercising a bunch take a couple of days and do light exercise only. Then go back to your routine and see if you start losing weight again. Also you may have reached a point in your weight loss where you need to recalculate your calorie needs. Not eating enough calories can cause your body to hold onto everything it gets and turn it into fat because it thinks your starving.

I'm just beginning my journey this time, but I've lost over 100 pounds before, a broken back, coupled with depression and severe pain for the last three years was the cause of me gaining the weight back. But steroid shots in my back have reduced the pain so that I can start the weight loss journey once again. Just remember don't be so hard on yourself, if what your doing isn't working re-evaluate, take a couple days off, and remember 5 pounds isn't really that much. You also might consider some supplements. Look at your nutrition are you getting enough vitamin A, C, Calcium, Iron, Potassium, etc. if your not, then there's nothing wrong with supplements. Just try to find supplements that digest quickly can be chewed for example. There's nothing worse than flushing vitamins down the toilet because they don't digest.

I hope some of this can help you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Use MFP the way it's designed - eat your exercise calories back, but don't overestimate them... buy a heart rate monitor. You're either eating too little or too much, guessing too little if you're really burning 2000 calories a day and not eating at least 4000 calories a day.

You really don't have to work out that much though. Weight loss is 80% diet. That's probably what you're doing wrong.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    nomnomnom.gif

OP, please tell us more ........ can't see your food logs ...... so, what'cha been eating ??
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    ^^^^LOL^^^^
    OK, it's open now but I only logged on here (I have another spot I do it) about 7/20-8/1.
    Thanks to all so far for your answers!
    I THINK I'm WAY undereating.
  • rbbrrmqn
    Options
    OH, AND I've been eating (salty) hot dogs lately...I know, it was what I could afford....
    MFP says I burn 2400-2500 per day or so, so i rounded down to 2000.
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Your diary doesn't really have anything in it. Maybe start tracking just in case your estimates are off. Goodluck.
  • JskC1893
    Options
    ^^^^LOL^^^^
    OK, it's open now but I only logged on here (I have another spot I do it) about 7/20-8/1.
    Thanks to all so far for your answers!
    I THINK I'm WAY undereating.

Oopps, sorry!! Didn't notice this!!
  • JskC1893
    Options
    Use MFP the way it's designed - eat your exercise calories back, but don't overestimate them... buy a heart rate monitor. You're either eating too little or too much, guessing too little if you're really burning 2000 calories a day and not eating at least 4000 calories a day.

You really don't have to work out that much though. Weight loss is 80% diet. That's probably what you're doing wrong.

I think this is a great suggestion.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh: are you weighing your food? Are you logging consistently? Could you be overestimating calorie burn? Why in the heck are you working out that much in a day?
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Adding quick calories is really cheating yourself as well, macros are an important part of the game. Especially if you're working out that much.
  • rbbrrmqn
    Options
    I've been avg. 1500-1800 cals per day--WAY too few??????
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    nomnomnom.gif

OP, please tell us more ........ can't see your food logs ...... so, what'cha been eating ??

Lol.

OP, your diary is inconsistent.
  • rbbrrmqn
    Options
    but you saw where I said, I only logged on here 7/20-8/1, right?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    but you saw where I said, I posted on here 7/20-8/1, right?

On the days that looked "complete", it seems you are undereating.

Exercise looks overestimated too.

Invest in a food scale and heart rate monitor to get accurate calories and calorie burn. Good luck!