Anyone put weight on from wine?

Options

Replies

• Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Why oh why didn't I read this post before going out last night? lmao.... Fuzzy head and the need to do a serious workout today.... Least I collapsed on the bed and slept rather than munch my way through the chinese the husband ordered ;)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My rule: No exercise, no wine. I have no problem eating food calories that will maintain my weight without exercise, but the wine drives it too high.

I've cut back on the wine some. I don't often have more than one bottle per day, and during the week not more than 2 glasses, and some week days none at all. I never cut it lower than I wanted to long term so once I lost I didn't have to worry about gaining when I added it back. I needed to cut it back some anyway. I was drinking way too much. It would have caught up with me sooner or later no matter what I weighed.

Just wanted to say that I could have written this exactly!
  • medeering14
    medeering14 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know it may be blasphemy, but I got around this problem by cutting my wine with seltzer. Flavored or plain. I can dilute it by pretty close to half, and it doesn't taste weak at all, though I can taste the strength of it undiluted now. It means I can have a nice full wine glass, or drink "two" if fiance is having a couple of beers, and not feel left out. But it's still only one a night. Plus, no more wine headache.
  • missability
    Options
    I'm no expert, but after years of experimenting with wine/ no wine- no wine wins hands down

Even figuring in wine into my calories in/out it doesn't matter, for me wine = a gain no matter what even just a few glasses a week.

I've given it up since July 7th and have lost 8lbs. For my body no wine is the only way.

^^^This is me also.....Never drank in my adult life...(Had a few peer pressure moments in high school, but that's it....

The a friend introduced me to a ver SWEET Jewish ceremonial wine in 2007...Manachevitz<<<Or something like that...anyway, I was going thru a very rough spot in my life and a love affair was born...one glass led to another, then another...and within a year I was drinking a bottle every night...I have always been a career dieter...but usually maintained about 10 to 40 pounds over-weight...If ya wanna call that maintaining....well by 2012 I was over 300 Pounds!!! and not eating that much at all.

Since giving up wine completely and joining MFP I have lost 75 pounds and 95 in total!!!!

I never say never....but I will not have it in the house....if the day comes I decided to imbibe...it will be on a vacation, or some other special occasion, once and done!
  • mogginsthemog
    mogginsthemog Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like both red & white and pop up to the pub 3 days a week and enter about 20mins 'Slow walking' cals.

I've just put a desktop app on my PC to clock my intake - mostly within limits :drinker: - courtesy of the NHS....
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    This is the second thread I've seen so far today regarding alcohol and weight gain. I have the same issue but mine isn't from wine, it's from beer & shots. Crazy amount of calories in shots. I think I'm going to experiment and severely limit my alcohol intake and see how long I can go and how much weight I lose. I set a goal for 3 months, but I'm going to try one week at a time. Also, my 30th birthday is in 2 months so it works out. I just did the math and have 1741 calories in only alcohol this week. I haven't drank every day this week but when I do (3 days/week) it probably averages almost 600 calories each time. (I can't drink vodka so the skinnygirl vodkas are out of the question...unless they start making skinnygirl whisky). :wink: When I "complete the entry" my weight is always the same as it is now. I need to lose 30 lbs and it isn't any wonder I've only lost 2 in a year. It's laughable. Let alone the binging that sometimes happens after a night of drinking. :embarassed:

Wish me luck. Just the thought of cutting out alcohol completely makes me itch for a drink. I'm not one of those people who can just have 1 beer. I don't see the point. So I guess if my choices are "all or nothing" I have to go with "nothing". :sad:
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    having studied alcohol as part of a Health Science course recently - I was surprised at the high amount of calories in alcohol due to the sugars in it.
  • MORECHABLIS
    MORECHABLIS Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I very much put on weight due to drinking wine...
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I tried to cut back on wine but I always wanted more than one glass when I would indulge. For me, the only solution has been to cut it out completely. It hasn't even been that hard, which has been surprising! I'm not going to say I'll never drink again, because for me that is totally unrealistic. But, I plan to limit it to special occasions and to not keep it in the house.

Good luck!

I'm with you on this one. I make very bad food choices and other bad choices when I drink wine because I have too much of it. I just started the no more wine mantra (not saying forever either) just for now.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If I drink wine within my calorie limit I don't gain weight, but I have blood sugar problems and have to eat fatty food to counter the effects alcohol has on my body. Yes, I gain weight from wine. It's best if I don't have any at all because 4 or 5 ounces is just not worth drinking. If I drink more it lowers my inhibitions to watch my calories.
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love my red wine!! I won't give it up. I am currently on a low card diet. I know that red wine has 4.1 carbs in a 5 ounce glass so I work it in when I want it. So don't give it up just allot for it in your tracking. However if you didn't drink it for 2 weeks you would see a drop in weight just from that. Depends on how fast you want to lose the weight. Personally I like wine too much to do the latter so I just work it in :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    there is nothing magical about wine that would cause you to gain in a calorie deficit.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    there is nothing magical about wine that would cause you to gain in a calorie deficit.

Not magical, but for me, it's not just the calories from the wine - it gives me more of an appetite so makes dieting harder. (And drinking enough of it tends to lower inhibitions too - so more risk of snacking). For me, that makes it different from other "danger" foods, such as, say, chocolate or cheese. They tend to satisfy appetite, wine increases it.

I have definitely found it helpful to cut back on wine. If I do have it, I drink it out of small glass, so a glass is about 120 mls, not 250 mls! I sometimes buy mini-bottles of wine and drink one over two nights. But most nights, I don't drink it at all. If I want to sip something I'll have decaffienated tea, or a low-cal hot chocolate.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    yes! My belly disappears if i don't drink it.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I just plan it in like I would anything else I want to eat/drink. That does mean I drink less than before, because in general I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. But if I'm going out to dinner, I'll make sure I work out enough that day or save some calories to allow for a glass or two.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I just did the math and have 1741 calories in only alcohol this week.

Heh - I did that in one NIGHT a couple months ago. Alcohol calories add up FAST! Surprisingly, I gained a couple of pounds that week. haha (it WAS vacation at least...) Thankfully those nights are few and far between.

OP - Yes, alcohol can definitely be a contributing factor to weight gain. But to say you don't have a 'calorie problem' is a little naive. You're gaining weight because you're going over your calorie goal by drinking wine. You have to decide if you want to give up food to drink more, cut back on the wine, or exercise a lot more to keep drinking the same amount.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I find 30 mins bike riding allows me half a bottle of wine.

I eat/drink skinny nothing. Might as well enjoy it if you're gonna do it.

30 minutes = half a bottle. I like this:)
  • melwharris91
    melwharris91 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wine is my downfall sometimes. I live on the west coast with all these wonderful wines to drink. It is easy to have a half bottle which is at least 300 calories. I have made it fit into my calorie budget by exercising more and making thoughtful choices with the other things I was eating. I will admit Sometimes it is hard to stick with 1 glass at the end of the day when that is all the budget will allow. I have to admit I use MFP as a tool to see how much of the fun stuff I am allowed to have. Cheers
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has calories?
  • katrinaneuman
    katrinaneuman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    oh yeah as soon as I drink wine or anything else for that matter I see a difference right away, alcohol really hinders my weight loss.