hands swelling during exercise?

Options
hello all, so if you follow my timeline you know walking is my default exercise of choice lol that and swimming. well my walks consist of one of two routes near my home both take about 20 minutes. i have done both in a day before but never both at once until a few days ago and although i can do the longer 40 minute walk (ya me lol) i have noticed when i get a little more than half way my hand or hands swell up. this has never happen to me before during exercise. i have rheumatoid arthritis but i am not thinking this is related to that since it comes and goes a while after i do my walk.

has anyone else had this happen? any ideas how to stop it or if i should be concerned?

Replies

• sierraleigh1
    sierraleigh1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Have yet to figure out why this happens but its mainly when I do cardio. I do have health problems and am thinking its connected to that. Maybe trying asking your doctor, he/she maybe able to tell you more.
  • natasha898
    natasha898 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I usually walk to and my hands swell to. I have no health problems that I know of. You can google it and it gives some explanations but if you have health problems you might talk to your doctor about your exercise and hand swelling
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I walk, but not when I run. I think it has to do with the way I swing my arms when I'm walking, causes fluid to build up and swells my hands a little. It always goes away quickly after I'm done, so I just remember to take my rings off before I go out. :smile:
  • vfcp
    vfcp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's because of dehydration. Just make sure you drink some water while exercising.
  • runningcats
    runningcats Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This happens regularly to me (I'm a runner). I asked my sister (nurse) and she basically said the same thing as the article linked by bumblebums. It isn't likely that it is something you can control because of how your body is reacting to the physical exertion. As long as you are getting proper hydration as well as proper electrolytes, this shouldn't be a problem.

Best thing: if you have a concern, talk to your doctor. :-)
  • hrmom26
    hrmom26 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, it threw me since i had not had the issue before but then i have never bothered to try to get healthy and exercise before either so i'm sure there will be more weird things to come lol
  • Mistyfied_MD
    Mistyfied_MD Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yep yep, this happens to me too, usually after I've been walking 10 or so minutes. I always wondered why.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    My hands get tingly/numb when I walk for a long time. I've always assumed it was because of gravity and the blood just pools in there and isnt' circulating back up again because I keep swinging it back down to the fingertips. I've found that if I keep a bend in my elbows and wiggle my fingers occasionally, it makes a huge difference. Holding onto something helps too, even just a very small hand weight.
  • daftthoughts
    Options
    Try to move your arms up higher. There's something called the 'proper walking form', which says that you need to bend your arms at a 90 degree angle with every swing. Doing so will improve circulation in your arms and prevents swelling and tingly fingers and hands. It looks a little silly, but people who run tend to have less issues with this because their arms are usually up high in a 90 degree angle.

Try it and see if that helps you?
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It's probably exercise induced edema. It's not unusual and generally is a result of the body shunting more blood to the heart and lungs to oxygenate the muscles (this is also why some become nauseated if they have a full belly while exercising).