Read something interesting I've never heard of....

Options
Here is the link
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45587821/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/cutting-carbs-just-days-week-can-spur-weight-loss/#.UgfwJcu9KSM
But the idea is intermitant low carving. So you do 2 days a week of very low carb and eat normal the other days. A test showed higher and faster weight loss as well as improved health. I could do low carb just twice a week!!! Than just normal cal counting the other days!! Anyone try or hear of this?

Replies

• pjsdj
    pjsdj Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Would anyone want to try it with me?
  • eahill4
    eahill4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I did low carb a couple of years ago with a cheat day about once a month. I had great results. I recently (last week) started low carb again. I mean REALLY low. I would be interested to see how it works doing it a few days a week
  • pjsdj
    Options
    Ok great also it was originally a test for women prone to breast cancer and there is evidence it can help reduce the risk!! Ill add ya!
  • cpego1
    cpego1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am on a very low carb diet. I have almost cut them out completely. I haven't had bread in the house in over 2 months. For me that's a big deal
  • DrPepper000
    DrPepper000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I will join you. I have cut way back on carbs and seen good results. I will go under 50 g two days a week and see how that goes.
  • eahill4
    eahill4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you are close to a trader joes go your bread fix with their 7 grain sprouted bread. Only 7 carbs and 60 calories. Zero sugar
  • phillrn
    phillrn Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I READ AN ATRICLE ABOUT THIS A FEW MONTHS AGO....SEEMS DOABLE:) IT'S FUNNY THAT U POSTED THIS TODAY- I SAID I WAS GONNA TRY IT STARTING TOMORROW:) LOL SCARLETT O'HARA AT HEART!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Sounds like carb-cycling...nothing new here bodybuilders have been doing it for decades.
  • pjsdj
    Options
    Ok so anyone who wants to start I'm gonna start tomorrow... Add me as a friend!! We can post updates here!
  • phillrn
    phillrn Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    i'm in :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Sounds like cyclic keto. I may try that at some point, but I'm only just starting out still with the keto. Tomorrow will make it a month.
  • DrPepper000
    DrPepper000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Are you going to do the same days each week or just random days when the proteins and fats just seem more appealing. I don't plan my meals ahead. I just eat what I am in the mood for.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    The difference between cyclical ketogenic (which I'm doing right now) and carb cycling (which I will probably be starting in a month or so after taking a break after the cylical keto trial) is in degrees. With CKD, you are low carbs at least 5-6 days a week. I've been in single digit carbs every day on the low carb phase. Half of that comes from my protein shake in the evening. Carb cycling will vary by day, from no/low to medium to high carb days.

From what I seeing from psjdj is more of a "just reduce carbs to low levels 2 days week" plan. A variation on the CKD and carb-cycling, but still different.

I've had great results with the CKD experiment I'm on now. In 3 weeks, I've lost a bit over 2% bf, waist, hips, and thighs (where I store my fat) are all down an inch or more. And my weight is exactly the same as it was when I started 3 weeks ago. I finish the experiment next weekend and can't wait for the final results. But my trainer (who is a type 1 diabetic) is opposed to this with a white hot passion. He isn't only my trainer but one of my best friends. So he grudgingly let me try it. But the carb cycling is his idea, so we'll try it next.
  • pjsdj
    Options
    I'm planning to just do 2 non consecutive days a wake...whichever ones work best for me. Flexibility is a key for me so anything to strict and I quit!
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to just do 2 non consecutive days a wake...whichever ones work best for me. Flexibility is a key for me so anything to strict and I quit!

Then I would definitely not try either CKD or carb cycling because they are kind of strict.. Still you should get good results.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I like to try it.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I have actually been seriously considering this. I will join you.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    OK 2 days a week and I'll keep my carbs at 50 or below. I'm in.
  • pjsdj
    Options
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I do the low carb--protein ONLY days when I need a boost or I start to slow. My trainer agree's a little shake up now and then is a good thing. Keeps the body guessing and always ready to work.