3 Wheel Bike

Options
So recently I have been getting a little bored of walking on the treadmill an hour a day with no variation.. so I decided to give a go at riding a bike for awhile.

The problem is, (embarressing!) I never learned how to ride a bike as a kid and I am having the time of my life learning now.

I do have a 3 wheeled bike (the type with one in the front and 2 big ones in the back) and I love it! It feels amazing to ride it around. My husband said I wouldn't burn as many calories riding it than I would a normal bike, so I thought I would come here and ask.

How many less calories do you loose riding a 3 wheeled bike instead of a 2 wheeled on? How much approx would you loose riding it for say every 30 minutes? (I weight about 250 lbs currently). I don't have an HRM yet, I can't afford one with holiday's coming up, but I plan on getting one when I get the money, but for now I have to guess.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Replies

• LeighAyenashi
    LeighAyenashi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I've ridden both kinds of bikes and it took a lot more effort to ride the 3 wheel variety. It's heavier and less maneuverable.
    I have no statistical data to back up my opinion. I did however try to find it online and here is a quote from a site I found: "In fact, using a three wheel bicycle actually takes a lot more energy than a regular bicycle. It is a definitely calorie burning activity that is perfect for the adult looking to trim down the waistline doing a fun activity"
  • wmrmdgen
    Options
    I would say there would be no significant difference in calorie burning between 2 or 3 wheels, if anything possibly more calories burned on a 3 wheel at the same speed considering the bike is heavier! Stick with what you know for now (it's safer!) and enjoy the ride!
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    I would say there would be no significant difference in calorie burning between 2 or 3 wheels, if anything possibly more calories burned on a 3 wheel at the same speed considering the bike is heavier! Stick with what you know for now (it's safer!) and enjoy the ride!

Agreed. The only small benefit to a standard 2 wheeler would be the initial take off when you're first getting your balance (you'd be using more of your core muscles) -- but really, after you get used to riding a bike, that would only be 3 seconds worth of advantage. Go with the three wheeler -- they look like awesome fun!
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would say that either one burns more calories than walking on a treadmill, so go ahead. Hop on!! :) Enjoy the ride.