please help - exercising with weights

Options
2»

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio and weight lifting together it is a great combo. as far as workouts the options are endless bicep curls (so many different variations, tricep extensions, skull crushers bench press- you can use the bench do step ups with or without weight, you can also lunge using the bench with your back foot on it. Ask you husband to show you some things. Guys love being needed and it could be something that you 2 can do together. Pinterest has a lot of great ideas (I am a pinterest addict.)
    Hi everyone,

My question is, I'm wanting to start an exercise regimen that includes weights, however I don't have the slightest idea where to start. I don't have a gym membership and can't join anytime soon. I do have some 8 and 20 lbs dumbbells, and my husband has and old bench press with bar and weights available. I have tried looking online for an easy and dumb down explanation or schedule to help me start, but the more I read the more I get confused. I'm basically asking for anyone's help to guide me to a website, or if you have a workout regimen/schedule that could help me start, i would appreciate it.

I have about 20 pounds to lose to reach my goal. I have no upper body strength whatsoever, seriously none (can't do a regular push up) and my cardio isn't great. Wondering if I should start a workout regimen without weights first until I build some strength (push up, sit ups, squats) that sort of thing, or would I benefit from using small weights right from the beginning? I've come a long way. Haven't been consistent but I'm not willing to give up. I'm determined to reach my goal and be healthy and fit.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help provided.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I would just skip the 8 lbs dumbbell. Maybe start with the 20 lbs?

Why would she skip the 8lb dumbbells? She just said she doesn't have much upper body strength.. I started with 5lb dumbbells.

I was in the same boat as the OP (no upper body strength, inability to do a regular push-up) and I would echo skipping the 8lbs dumbbells too. High weight, low rep lifting is where it's at.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    you tube will become your new best friend. You can find any exercise routine you want for free in "you tube".. my favorite for arms is "Tank Top Arms" . Google that and several options appear. Choose the one that is 10:58 minutes long w/ "Fit Sugar" & Holly Perkins! You can thank me later..this is definitely my (go to) routine when I'm traveling and can't get to the gym!!! :flowerforyou:

I'll thank you now; will try it in the morning. Thx!
  • tweetyjf
    tweetyjf Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    check out bodybuilding.com lots of excercises and food examples and inspiration!!!
  • missyahall2
    missyahall2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    JIllian Michaels is the best. I started off with the 30 day shred and I will be moving on to ripped in 30 next week. The videos only use 5lb weights, but you can try with the 8lbs if that's what you have.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Bump so this will show up in My Topics. Great info. I'm in the same boat as the OP. I can hike for hours but can't do a single push up.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Great start...
    My recommendation is an app called
    FitnessBuddy which I've loaded on my IPod so it's with me when I work out. It has exercise using bodyweight, swissball, and dumbells. Plenty of variety.

There is also a website called
    WorkoutLabs.com - loads of exercises to choose from to build your own routine and then print it out. They've also got two new plans (to purchase) that include nutrition and exercise routines. Check it out.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    This is a very good MFP thread on working out with dumb-bells and had all kiinds of helpful links :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hasfit (also at www.hasfit.com)
    Jillian Michaels (who else eh?)
    Billy Banks Tae Bo
    Fitness Blender
    Denise Austin
    anything with Tae Bo or Kickboxing in it's title
    BeFit
    Exercise TV
  • girdpt
    girdpt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is best to start off slow and easy, so as to avoid injury. Do not use more weight then you can control and increase it in small increments. You need to control the weight through the entire range of exercise motion. Use the right form when doing the exercise. Make sure have rest days between workouts. For example: Monday, I work the upper body; Tuesday, the legs; Wednesday, rest; Thursday, arms & shoulders; Friday, legs (different exercises); the weekend rest. I walk an hour 4-5 times a week and do some rowing and biking for cardio. As some of the post suggest, there is a lot of info on the internet. I use World of Trust, a free program. that rates the sites and keeps you away from the bad one. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • Jameson1984
    Jameson1984 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bumping for info
  • thoma450
    thoma450 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you have a large mirror in your house, watch yourself to make sure you proper form
  • avlama
    avlama Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. I will not take any of this info for granted. I have been struggling for several weeks just trying to find a way to start and this will help me a lot.

Although my upper body is my weakest area, my goal is to lose weight and get toned throughout my body. Sadly I been cursed with the jiggling thighs (drinking my sodas and juices doesn't help either), so i will target all areas of my body.

Once again thank you everyone, and please keep the information coming. Not only have you helped me but also all the other MFPals in here who had the same question.
This discussion has been closed.