Moving into maintenance but still want to tone up

Options
Not sure how to title this but I reached my goal weight. I'm 125 at 5'5" which is IMO a good healthy weight. However, I still want to tone up and lose belly flab and such. I am very active and am on my feet most of the day, plus I exercise 5-6 times a week usually vigorously. MFP says to eat 1900+ to maintain but if I want to tone will eating that much make it hard to keep toning up? Or can I tone by simply exercising/weight training?

Replies

• mep0430
    mep0430 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm getting to the same point and I decided to work with a trainer at Planet Fitness. So far, I've been very happy with it because I need structure and it helped to have him design a program for me that would help with my trouble areas.
  • walkwallfall
    walkwallfall Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What kind of plan are you on?
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'5 and in maintenance(130 lbs). I've had great success w/ strength training. I eat 2100 cals and exercise 6 days/week. There is nothing wrong w/ eating maintenance while working on body recomposition, but be prepared for a small initial weight gain while upping your cals and/or strength training.
  • walkwallfall
    walkwallfall Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Will your weight go back down after the initial change?
  • DonnaW_78
    DonnaW_78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm the same - I'm basically at goal weight but want to lose some fat in some areas & tone-up. I'm too scared to up my cals (I'm on 1460) in case I put on. I barely come up to the 1460 a day as it is. Confused???
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It might. If you gain a few water weight lbs from strength training it most likely will. As for upping calories, here is a good post that explains why you might gain a few lbs. when you start eating maintenance- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071202-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Tone usually translates to maintaining muscle mass while decreasing fat. Train and eat accordingly.
  • DonnaW_78
    DonnaW_78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks Irene :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Leangains has worked for me. I've been maintaining 120 since March, but def not as fat as when I started. Clothes fits better, so know I'm leaner. I have best results when following as close as possible ( that includes calorie cycling). Anyway, that's (the) method that's working for me.
  • lilyp91
    lilyp91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm still in weight loss mode; however, strength training and working your core are just plain good for you whether you are trying to lose or not. I am training for a marathon right now, so my workout schedule is pretty aggressive which means I eat a LOT and still seem to be losing weight (I.e. Today, I ran twelve miles and I've still got to eat 1,515 calories in order to net 1,350 for the day). If you are netting the calories you're told to each day AND strengthening, there isn't anything to worry about. You WILL get toned and, bonus, you'll burn calories more efficiently when you aren't working out. Strength training along with cardio is just a win-win. This is a good time to measure yourself so that, even though the scale may or may not change, you'll see the results as inches melt off. Having said that, I HIGHLY recommend the Physique 57 DVD series (I got mine online). It's tough-as in swear at the TV your first few times tough-but, wow, you will see and feel results!!!
  • lilyp91
    lilyp91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    PS: Muscle weighs more than fat. If you're trim and toned, looking the way you want to, does it matter what the scale says?
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    PS: Muscle weighs more than fat. If you're trim and toned, looking the way you want to, does it matter what the scale says?

1 lbs of muscle = 1 lbs of fat. One lbs of muscle takes up less space than one lbs of fat.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing what you want to do. Been at maintenance for 5 months now. Started by just figuring out how much to eat to maintain my weight. That took a couple of months. Then I started weight training with free weights. Didn't gain anything but had to up my calories to continue maintenance. I am now seriously strength training and stopped all cardio. Been maintaining my weight but my waist is now smaller and I am much leaner. I have lost 1% - 2% body fat.

This is not the most efficient way to go about a recomp, but it fits my goals right now. Come winter, I will bulk up to 195 lbs (currently at 185 lbs) and then cut back down to 10% BF in the spring. Should look like the hulk at that point.

To sum up, you must strength train. Progressively heavier weights. Do the compound lifts: squats, deadlift, bench, overhead press. Watch your body transform into a lean machine.

Tom

TomBF20130710.jpg

Bottom 2 images are both at 185 lbs. I think I am at 13% in the bottom right one. I am even leaner than the bottom right one now and still at 185 lbs.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    @tomcornhole - absolutely stellar work mate!
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to title this but I reached my goal weight. I'm 125 at 5'5" which is IMO a good healthy weight. However, I still want to tone up and lose belly flab and such. I am very active and am on my feet most of the day, plus I exercise 5-6 times a week usually vigorously. MFP says to eat 1900+ to maintain but if I want to tone will eating that much make it hard to keep toning up? Or can I tone by simply exercising/weight training?

Your questions point out 2 different desires. Scale weight & lower body fat %.
    You are at your desired scale weight, but your body doesn't yet look the way you want it to. Because of this, I wouldn't say you are ready to enter maintenance mode. Maintenance suggests that you desire to keep things as they are. You don't. You're still looking for change. Being "toned" as you've used it here refers to the appearance of muscle definition. This will only be achieved by lowering your body fat %. Perhaps at this time its best to shift your focus away from a certain number on the scale, and see where that number is once your body has the look you desire, then focus on maintaining what you've achieved.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I feel like the only way to do that and stay at the same weight is to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, which I don't think is possible.

I am in a really similar position as you though, I am 5'6" and 124 and still want to lose some fat on my stomach and my thighs. My goal is to lose fat and try to maintain my muscle mass that I already have so I can lower my bf% but I don't see a way to do that without losing a few more pounds.
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Heavy ones. The results you seek will follow.
  • jobrian1984
    Options
    @Walkwallfall

Daily caloric intake:
    12 x 125 = 1,500 calories
    Protein-250g
    Carbs-63g-125g-181g (cycle carbs) cycling your carbs will make your calorie intake fluctuate daily.
    Fat-31g
    Sugar no more than 45g
    Sodium-no more than 1,500mg

Don't use MFP calculations.

Week 1: 3X10*
    Week 2: 3X8*
    Week 3: 3X5*
    Week 4: 3X2*
    Week 5: 3X12*
    Week 6: 3X15*
    Week 7: 3X20*
    Week8: 3X25*
    *=drop set (makes 4th set)

Weeks 2-4 you are doing less reps but adding more weight.

Weeks 5-8 you are doing more reps but less weight.

A droop set: immediately after you finish your last set, rack the weight. Rest 10-15 seconds then pick the weight up till failure, immediately drop the weight by 20-40 percent and go to failure again.
  • jobrian1984
    Options
    I feel like the only way to do that and stay at the same weight is to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, which I don't think is possible.

I am in a really similar position as you though, I am 5'6" and 124 and still want to lose some fat on my stomach and my thighs. My goal is to lose fat and try to maintain my muscle mass that I already have so I can lower my bf% but I don't see a way to do that without losing a few more pounds.

Tighten up on your nutrition and have a solid workout plan. Ignore the scale. You can lose 2-3 lbs of body weight but gain 2-3 lbs lean body mass, which essentially means you would weight the same.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Eat at maintenance according to your TDEE and lift heavy weights.