How long does it take for the cravings to stop?

Options
How long for you; once starting to eat better and not eat so much of the crap- did it take for the cravings to go away?

Also, how long did it take for your body to adjust to your new lifestyle change and form a new habit?

After over 20 years of eating whenever and however I am just curious to know if it will take 20 years to retrain my body

Replies

• namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you eat enough, the cravings should stop soon because you will be full of the good stuff. That said, it takes planning to make sure you get enough bulk to keep you full. A lot of it is mind games anyway. The nice think about MFP is that you can have anything as long as you stay in your calorie zone. So if you want a soft serve cone, choose a restaurant that has published nutritional data and enjoy. Log immediately so you can plan the rest of your day. You may find that some things may not be worth the calorie burn to you any more. If I need chocolate (what woman doesn't) I measure out 100 cal, I usually use chocolate chips as they are easy to measure and I get lots of bites for my 100 cal.
  • hcporter
    Options
    I found that for me, herbal teas eased some of the transition away from cravings. I am a dark chocolate fiend, but was doing a challenge with no added sugars. It was killer for me, but I found some spicy teas, and they made a great after-dinner substitute. I also find I can use them between meals (usually something fruity) to help curb my dreaded "3PM must eat ALL THE FOOD when I get home from work" cravings. Good luck!
  • Determination29
    Options
    Awesome tips! Thank you!!!!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I never got past cravings until I changed my eating pattern to 16:8

Been in charge of what I eat since Late January and it is the best!
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    About a month
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Great post. Determinations question was helpful to me!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    They stop?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Some cravings stop because they are physiological and caused by "trigger" foods. Others are psychological and never entirely stop.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I learned early on that the only way to truly be successful on this journey was to be able to eat the foods that I had always enjoyed only I had to learn proper portion sizes and to fit them into my daily caloric intake. It to awhile to come to terms with this way of thinking but now I do not have cravings because I do not deprive myself of the things that I want or like.... Best of Luck
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I no longer crave junk foods. I used to want cheese puffs and salted nuts every night. Talk about bloat from all the salt!! OMG!! Once I committed to quitting all the junk foods and getting healthier my cravings stopped. I think it took me at least a month. What I did to overcome those cravings was to go for a walk instead.

My ticker shows my new goal by the way. I've already lost 69 pounds. Its not easy but you can do this. Pick up a hobby that you can do instead of reaching for those trigger foods or snacks. Write down what you ate and what time you ate it and keep it in your pocket. Get one of those mini notebooks if you have to. Then take a peek at that when you're reaching for the junk and see just how much you ate and when. I did this in the beginning to show myself that I'm not really hungry just bored.
  • wlawhorn1993
    Options
    To help satiate cravings, have a cheat meal or two a week, not a cheat day a cheat meal. Go on scoobysworkshop.com and under the nutrition tab there is a link called cheat meals. Read it and use it to your advantage.
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't get cravings fasting but on Saturday when I only have 500 calories all day, I spend my early evening imagining what I will have for Sunday breakfast.
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is one of my HUGE fail areas -- I'll do great all day then get huge cravings as soon as I come home from work. I think I will make a large cup of tea as soon as I walk in the door starting tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I totally agree.:happy:
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    In my experience? Never, lol
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    It's strange. I really have never had any cravings issues. Maybe a fleeting thought but not really a craving. Maybe it's my OCD nature to do this thing, grab it by the throat and strangle the hell out of it. I'm going to win this battle and food isn't going to. I think in the end it's mind over matter. If you are in control of your mind, nothing else matters.
  • ThisIsItAt50
    ThisIsItAt50 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It takes me a week (sometimes two) to stop thinking about something I am removing form my diet (i.e. chips); I am an emotional eater - grab the junk when stressed, particularly during the evening. takes me a long time to get over the eating after supper thing... but once I conquer it I am good. Teas also help too, I totally agree with that one! :)