just started and I,m soo confused

Options
mfp set my calorie goal at 1270, but I have been seeing post about that being to low. so my question to more experienced people on this site is ... what amount should I be trying to get to? My stats are 4'10,196lbs,47yrs,female,sedentary. I just started walking 30 minutes a day trying to get a least 5 days in. I bought a fitbit zip and started this site about a week ago and would really appreiciate some guidence.

Replies

• leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how you set up your MFP goals. How much weight are you trying to lose? Did you choose the 2 pounds/week target?

Realistically, I don't think 2 pounds a week is going to work for you. Using what you posted, I used the calorie calculator at Scooby's workshop to calculate your TDEE. It puts your TDEE at 2137 calories/day. You need a deficit of 1000 calories/day to lose 2 pounds a week.

What I might suggest for you would be a gradual reduction in calories. There is no reason to dive in the deep end when going gradually to see what works for you. Might I suggest you start somewhere near a 500 calorie/day deficit, which would put your target about 1600/day. Do that for a week or two and see how it feels. Is it doable? Are you seeing any results? If everything is fine, every week or two lower the target by another 100 calories/day and re-evaluate. .

The danger line seems to be about 1200 calories. You can go below there occasionally, but constantly being under that mark has shown to slow the metabolism, which is the last thing you want to do.

There is no reason to believe that the weight came on in a sudden burst and there is no reason to expect it to come off too fast either. You may lose more at first and then get on a steady trajectory. But starting at 1600, assuming you are doing the walking, should put you at least headed in the right direction.

That's MHO, for what it's worth. Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like.

Good luck. Hang in there. If I can do it at 57, you can do it as such youngster as yourself.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    leebesstoad,
    Can I say, I love your response and your attitude! What a breath of fresh air - no judgment, no shaming, good sound advice. Thank you!

PS. I also like anyone that would call me (also 47) a youngster. :bigsmile: :blushing:
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    leebesstoad,
    Can I say, I love your response and your attitude! What a breath of fresh air - no judgment, no shaming, good sound advice. Thank you!

PS. I also like anyone that would call me (also 47) a youngster. :bigsmile: :blushing:

No Problem. Judgment and shaming is for people with control issues and who question what they are doing. I know what has worked for me, but I don't presume that it is for everyone or that there is one, and only one, way to lose weight. Every body is different and we all need to try and see what works for us. Both in terms of lifestyle and weight loss effectiveness. If what you are doing is working, don't change it. But if it isn't, or what was working stops working, change.

In the end, weight loss comes down to a simple math problem. If you expend 3500 calories more than you take in, you lose a pound. If you eat 3500 calories more than you burn, you gain a pound. All it is in math.

And they said we wouldn't need math after we graduated high school. Yeah.

And as far as 47, I don't even remember 47. So yeah, you're all babies at that age. :)
  • kj26boys
    kj26boys Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    leebesstoad,

I agree, love the response!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You are petite to begin with so you'll need less calories than most of the population. Also, the smaller you are the less weight per week you should try to lose. A 7 foot man with 400 lbs is going to lose a lot per week compared to a 5 foot lady that's near her goal weight, as an example.

Go with leebesstoad's advice. Starting from your maintenance calories, carve off 200 calories per day and try that for two weeks. If you don't notice some downward movement in the scales/measurements then try taking off another 200 calories per day (or less). Keep doing that until you're losing a safe amount of weight per week. A good rule of thumb is 1% of body weight per week IF you are overweight.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    leebesstoad,

No Problem. Judgment and shaming is for people with control issues and who question what they are doing. I know what has worked for me, but I don't presume that it is for everyone or that there is one, and only one, way to lose weight. Every body is different and we all need to try and see what works for us. Both in terms of lifestyle and weight loss effectiveness. If what you are doing is working, don't change it. But if it isn't, or what was working stops working, change.

In the end, weight loss comes down to a simple math problem. If you expend 3500 calories more than you take in, you lose a pound. If you eat 3500 calories more than you burn, you gain a pound. All it is in math.

And as far as 47, I don't even remember 47. So yeah, you're all babies at that age. :)

I agree great advice and guidance but you aren't even close to being the oldest on this site ;-) I'm 59 and I'm not even the oldest :laugh:
  • Lucinda_Sue
    Lucinda_Sue Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If I understand this program, the recommended calorie intake of 1270 is actually the "NET" calories. Actual intake - calories burned = NET

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work
    :flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how you set up your MFP goals. How much weight are you trying to lose? Did you choose the 2 pounds/week target?

Realistically, I don't think 2 pounds a week is going to work for you. Using what you posted, I used the calorie calculator at Scooby's workshop to calculate your TDEE. It puts your TDEE at 2137 calories/day. You need a deficit of 1000 calories/day to lose 2 pounds a week.

What I might suggest for you would be a gradual reduction in calories. There is no reason to dive in the deep end when going gradually to see what works for you. Might I suggest you start somewhere near a 500 calorie/day deficit, which would put your target about 1600/day. Do that for a week or two and see how it feels. Is it doable? Are you seeing any results? If everything is fine, every week or two lower the target by another 100 calories/day and re-evaluate. .

The danger line seems to be about 1200 calories. You can go below there occasionally, but constantly being under that mark has shown to slow the metabolism, which is the last thing you want to do.

There is no reason to believe that the weight came on in a sudden burst and there is no reason to expect it to come off too fast either. You may lose more at first and then get on a steady trajectory. But starting at 1600, assuming you are doing the walking, should put you at least headed in the right direction.

That's MHO, for what it's worth. Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like.

Good luck. Hang in there. If I can do it at 57, you can do it as such youngster as yourself.

Excellent response. I'm on a slightly different path and it is also working. I let MFP set my calories for me, and learned how to discipline myself to log every bite. I use exercise to buy more calories in the MFP system and rarely exceed the total allowed when I include the exercise calories. This isn't fast weight loss, but it is reliable. Don't panic if you blow it once in a while. Just go back to doing the right thing, and don't forget that sodium can cause water retention that results in higher weights. Be sure to drink plenty of water. This is a great group of people and there is more than one right answer. Stick with it.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    leebesstoad,

I think you're amazing :D
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    leebesstoad,

I agree great advice and guidance but you aren't even close to being the oldest on this site ;-) I'm 59 and I'm not even the oldest :laugh:

The only difference is that I'm 57 in dog years. Cause there are times I can be a real beyotch. WOOF!!!
  • StrongandTender
    StrongandTender Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was going to think up a good, clear explanation of my opinion on what might be helpful, but then I read what leebesstoad wrote and it's SPOT ON!
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I started I was 5'3 192lbs and it told me to don 1200 Cal a Day. I have been sticking with that and seeing good results. Don't forget to add in your daily exercise those add on calories for you to consume!
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I concur. leebesstoad definitely has his **** together and when I grow up I want to be like him!
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    Don't panic if you blow it once in a while. Just go back to doing the right thing

More great advice. In fact, I don't think it is a bad thing to reward yourself once in a while. Take a cheat day or at least a cheat meal. I've had friends eat close to 3500 calories on their cheat days (on a 'budget" of 1500-1800). Still losing weight, still going strong. Sometimes people get so damned serious about these to the point of discouragement. This is a journey and sometimes we take sidetrips. This isn't some cosmic punishment that we are sentenced to for the rest of our lives, like Sisyphus and that damned rock. Enjoy yourself. It's serious business but not don't take you or it too seriously.

Of course, my friends would laugh at me giving that advice knowing how OCD I am about things. "Doctor heal thyself". Almost 8 months in and I've taken maybe 1 or 2 cheat days in that whole time, and that includes while being on 2 vacations. But I have a couple coming up after this week. So yeah!!!!
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    I concur. leebesstoad definitely has his **** together and when I grow up I want to be like him!

You want to be short and bald? :)
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The advice you are getting is excellent; I would add only one or two more simple ideas:

1 - set long term goals in both lbs and inches (you have to have some way of knowing where you are going!) I started at 100 lbs lost in two yrs (difficult; hard to see the end point) and
    2 - set short term goals; I started at 5 lbs lost each month (anyone can lose 5 lbs!)
    3 - reward yourself for reaching goals at each level, whether its that dessert you love or a new piece of clothing that fits the new you.

All this makes the jouney less of a drudge!
  • littleone65
    littleone65 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Leebesstoad, Thanks for your thoughts on this. I am trying to lose about 65lbs at 1lb a week. Do I just eat around 1600 cal a day and not worry about mfp saying I went over my calories or is there a way to change it to a1600 calorie goal?
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    leebesstoad,

Totally agree about judgment and shaming.
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    Leebesstoad, Thanks for your thoughts on this. I am trying to lose about 65lbs at 1lb a week. Do I just eat around 1600 cal a day and not worry about mfp saying I went over my calories or is there a way to change it to a1600 calorie goal?

Yes, you can go to the goals tab under my home. Then at the bottom poke on change goals. Then choose the option to "Custom, manually set my own goals". Then you can enter your own target, and change the macros if you want. There are about as many different thoughts on macro distribution as there are MFP members, so you might just want to play with that a bit. I use a 40/30/30 distribution normally (not now, I'm doing a 4 week cyclical ketogenic diet). But there is no one right answer for that, despite what some will say. I'm trying to maintain and then build muscle once I get most of the fat gone so keeping a higher protein percentage makes sense. But for now, for you, I'd say stick with the MFP distribution and maybe in a month play with it a bit, maybe in 5% increments.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options

^^^^Yes to this...go to scooby and go by that. If you follow it, you will have a slow and steady pace of weight lose and you will actually be losing fat. I am capable of losing 15 lbs in a week, I've done it on more than one occasion. That is not sustainable and that will result in a huge loss of water weight and muscle. I was trying the two pounds per week and kept setting myself up for failure.