Type one diabetes most frustrating part of weight loss

Options
I have had three juices today alone due to low blood sugar, plus chocolate milk at breakfast, and subsequently am almost out of calories because of it... and I haven't even had dinner yet! Unfortunately I also can't get free calories when I'm low, so I can't just exercise to gain some calories back for dinner. Next time I see the doctor, I want to ask her about lowering my basal rates now that I'm exercising more, especially since this insulin works so well as it is. I'm almost out of juice boxes (for my lows) and I just got a ten pack on Monday!

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    that must be frustrating :( guess just log all your sugars and see if you can reduce your lantus insulin at the next appointment

good luck!
  • I'm on a pump, so I don't use Lantus, just Apidra. I was supposed to go to my doc about a week ago, but my appointment had to be moved and now I don't know when I'll be going again. Here's hoping my sugars go up, though, so I can exercise earn back some calories for dinner.
  • ang_mick
    ang_mick Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Could you try glucose tablets instead? They have less calories and are also a more controlled form of sugar intake. Maybe even mixing in a banana instead of all fruit juice - at least it has a little more nutritious substance and can fill you up a little more. It would depend on how low your sugar level was though. Ask your doc for suggestions as well. Good luck - I know it's not fun!
  • djseacow
    Options
    Hey! My fiance has the same issue, she has the pump as well. She is losing weight by simply watching he carbs late at night. Due to the challenge yall share it is really hard to count calories fairly. Eat right and exercise, and make sure you are really strict with your eating (dont worry so much about the calories, but be very mindful of what is going into your body) and you will be OK. I wish the best for you, this is what works for her at least.
  • djseacow
    Options
    My girl and I are on a very strict budget and find that sometimes that tablets are just way to expensive. Not sure if the poster has the same issue but for quality, you have to really dish out the money
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Can you eat whole fruit or something like a baked potato or bagel when your sugar is too low? I have no particular knowledge or expertise--I was just wondering because I was thinking that these foods would at least make you feel fuller than drinking juice.
  • Unfortunately, my body is a little bit...odd, I suppose. Juice is the only thing that gets my blood sugar up (to a normal level) and keeps it up. I would love to switch to something with a little less calories and is something probably healthier, but I really feel like I have to watch my diabetes first and then my figure second. Also, I can hardly stomach glucose tabs, so I only use them in case of an emergency (had one back in September; had a juice box, still low. Had a second, still low. Had glucose tabs, blood sugar skyrockets). This disease is so frustrating.
  • Can you eat whole fruit or something like a baked potato or bagel when your sugar is too low? I have no particular knowledge or expertise--I was just wondering because I was thinking that these foods would at least make you feel fuller than drinking juice.
    These actually have, from experience, not only more calories than juice, but also carbs -- which is what diabetics have to keep track of to make sure that they take adequate insulin. I only need about 20 or so carbs to bring my sugar up, and the juice I drink has 23, which brings me up and keeps me there. A bagel has about double that, along with a baked potato, and it's a little difficult to carry those with me when I'm low. I'm also not usually hungry when my blood sugar falls, so I'm not really looking for something to fill me.
  • winkerbean
    winkerbean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have had three juices today alone due to low blood sugar, plus chocolate milk at breakfast, and subsequently am almost out of calories because of it... and I haven't even had dinner yet! Unfortunately I also can't get free calories when I'm low, so I can't just exercise to gain some calories back for dinner. Next time I see the doctor, I want to ask her about lowering my basal rates now that I'm exercising more, especially since this insulin works so well as it is. I'm almost out of juice boxes (for my lows) and I just got a ten pack on Monday!

Can you call your doctor and leave a message for him/her to give you an adjustment on the rates? Most offices are very good about this, especially if you're good about going to your appointments and giving them current information. As for the juices eating up your calories - what kind of juice are you having exactly? When my blood sugar goes low (I'm a T1 on a pump also) I have half a cup of vanilla almond milk and am ok - and that comes out to only 45 calories. But that may not work for you because, as you know, your diabetes may vary. :)

But really, it's hard to suggest stuff without knowing what your daily calorie intake it set for, what kind of juice you're having, et cetera. I think talking to the doctor about the exercise basal adjustment is a good start, but maybe also see if they can get you in to see a CDE for a nutrition refresh - I'm doing one now and it has really helped me figure out where to better place calories (you know, instead of eating them all for lunch or what have you).

Good luck!
  • CrystalDoll70
    Options
    They have glucos tables for low bloodsugar that only have 15 calories. Might be worth a try.
  • stephaniefury
    stephaniefury Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am type one diabetic and I thought I would add in my thoughts.

I am no expert but I will try to explain this to the best of my knowledge...

If you look at juice (which you are using to correct your hypo's) it is basically just sugar. When I was diagnosed I was told you must consume a small amount of concentrated sugar such as glucose tabs or drink AND a 20-30g carbohydrate snack (such as some crackers)
    If you are just consuming sugar, it will bring your number up but it will crash down within a few hours. The carbohydrate is more complex and will keep your number stable for a longer amount of time.

It sucks having this disease and trying to lose weight but I have learnt that you really just have to suck it up and work out a little bit harder next time or accept it and move on.

I would suggest always doing a blood sugar prick before exercise and making sure it is in between meals, as it is good to consume food before and after to prevent hypos.

This has been what I have been doing and it seems to work for me for the most part. Of course I still get those days when I am low a lot but I guess these things cannot be helped with diabetes in your life :)

Hope this has helped in some small way :)
  • MLitke12
    MLitke12 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My daughter (9) has type one and likes to use smarties to treat lows. They are 6-7 g of carbs per roll; not sure right now of the calories. When she plays soccer or swims, she disconnects her pump (so no basal) and when she bikes, we are doing temp basals of 50% for the duration of her activity. Is that something you could try?
  • BeFitwithT1
    BeFitwithT1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with T1 16+ years ago. My suggestion, stick with what works for the blood sugars. In the end, health is what brought most of us here and being diabetic and treating a low is the ultimate example of striving for healthy living. I've lost 35 lbs with many MANY lows in the process. Hang in there, work hard, eat what needs to be eaten and it will all come together for you. Promise.