Numb toes, is it normal?

Options
When I use the cross/elliptical trainer or the stationary bike in the gym, I always get numb toes after about 10minutes. When I stop the exercise, the feeling quickly returns and I don't experience any pain, just slight pins and needles.
Is this normal?
I have asked a few friends and they say they have never experienced it.

Replies

• rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You may find your trainers are laced too tightly at the toe and. I used to get this!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Yup, I get it in the whole of my feet. I also get numb hands when I push the kids in the stroller. I thought with my hands it was carpal tunnel, not sure if you can have that in your feet also.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I have really bad circulation - I get numb fingers from texting a long message lol

Doctor said there is nothing I can do about it
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I get it in my toes a lot, mostly when I am on the elliptical. It could be because we are using that part of our body more and it is not use to it, or we are toe-walkers or something. I notice it when I am on the elliptical though.
  • 63lab
    63lab Posts: 80
    Options
    bad back?
    often,it stems from there.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Me and my friend both get it on the stat bike, not the elliptical though
  • CarlaRG
    CarlaRG Posts: 264
    Options
    I used to get that a lot. My shoes were too narrow. I switched from Nike to New Balance and I don't have that problem any more.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i used to get it a lot but not recently. i think when i got more used to the machine it went away.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I get this as well on the outer toes (not all of them) but usually just when I'm on the stationary bike for 30mins+. An instructor once said it was quite common, especially if you wear orthotics in your shoes. He recommended taking them out for cycling. It does seem to help.
  • Helenca76
    Helenca76 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I get this as well on the outer toes (not all of them) but usually just when I'm on the stationary bike for 30mins+. An instructor once said it was quite common, especially if you wear orthotics in your shoes. He recommended taking them out for cycling. It does seem to help.

Glad I am not alone. Was worried it was a circulation issue. Don't have orthotics in my shoes but am relieved to hear it's a common issue.
    Thanks
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i get it too on the cross trainer...at the 20 minute mark (so regular you can practically set a clock to it).
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I believe the problem is not your shoes. You're probably putting a lot of pressure on the tops of your feet. Try to shift your weight to your heels, especially on the down stroke. I had the same issue and someone pointed this out and the issue is gone. Good luck!
  • Helenca76
    Helenca76 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I believe the problem is not your shoes. You're probably putting a lot of pressure on the tops of your feet. Try to shift your weight to your heels, especially on the down stroke. I had the same issue and someone pointed this out and the issue is gone. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip, will most definitely try this :smile:
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I get it in my toes a lot, mostly when I am on the elliptical. It could be because we are using that part of our body more and it is not use to it, or we are toe-walkers or something. I notice it when I am on the elliptical though.

My toes on my right foot go numb like after 10 minutes.... Everytime I use the elliptical! :cry:
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Different lacing techniques for various shoe problems:

Someone posted this article on a previous thread about numb toes. I was having trouble on one foot with fast paced walking. I tried one of these lacing techniques & it fixed the problem. You might check it out.

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    What happens if it's abnormal?
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    happens to me, was at the doctors on Friday and I just asked her. she said my Shoes we re too tight.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I get that after bout 20min or so on the elliptical. I ignore it. I never go more than a 1/2 hr anyway.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Bee ewe em pea (because this is the first thread that came up in my search)

I too get the numb toes syndrome. I found switching the weight to my heel as much as possible helps, but doesn't alleviate it entirely. Right around minute 12 or so...

Anyone found the magic answer yet?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Since the OP asked Aug of '13 I'm thinking they found their answer.