Question regarding sodium vs protein intake

Options
amg0678
amg0678 Posts: 10 Member
Hello,

I am sorry for the silly question, but I am new, uneducated about the whole dietary stuff etc. But why is it that I am to eat 2500 of sodium but only 45 protein daily? Would there be a negative impact from eating much more protein then what is on my goal?

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Well, sodium and protein are vastly different substances. So the body requires them in different amounts. Sodium is a mineral, and therefore a micronutrient. Protein is a macronutrient. And still, all minerals and all macros will have different requirements in the body. It's never going to be that you need 176 grams of every item, equally.

There is really no harm at all in going 'over' on protein. In fact, that's the thing to go over on. Protein is great. Sodium....you probably don't want to go crazy with it, but unless you have health issues it's not something to worry too much about.
  • amg0678
    Options
    Thank you so much for your response!! It makes a lot of sense. I just have been looking at the stats from what I have eaten today and I am a bit over on protein and barely touched the sodium. I have no idea where to start with balanced diet.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If you would like further reading I would suggest iifym.com.
    To find out how to eat a more balanced diet input your stats into http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • amg0678
    Options
    Thank you so much! That is actually a great site!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! That is actually a great site!

Wow.. someone that's receptive to information! :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6H2edyPLU8
    This is a good video discussing clean eating vs IIFYM. This guy is pretty much the authority on protein. I highly suggest looking into his writings and videos.