Giving up sugar

Options
jjay23
jjay23 Posts: 160 Member
Ok im not giving up sugar because I think its terrible, I am giving up sugar because unfortuantely for me, its all or nothing, I cant have one or just a bit, I start and cant stop. I went cold turkey off sugar in January, was horribel for two weeks and then got over it, it meant I ate more sensibly and didnt just inhale any product that contained sugar. I still eat fruit and veg etc but anything processed, I have to say no to. Would love to find someone else who has the same problem and wants to do this too :)

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ok im not giving up sugar because I think its terrible, I am giving up sugar because unfortuantely for me, its all or nothing, I cant have one or just a bit, I start and cant stop. I went cold turkey off sugar in January, was horribel for two weeks and then got over it, it meant I ate more sensibly and didnt just inhale any product that contained sugar. I still eat fruit and veg etc but anything processed, I have to say no to. Would love to find someone else who has the same problem and wants to do this too :)

You do know fruit contains sugar, right?
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 21 Day Sugar Detox right now because I really struggle with moderation when it comes to sweets. My diary is open to friends.
  • jjay23
    Options

You do know fruit contains sugar, right?

I am indeed aware, the sugar ban is becasue I cant just have one chocolate or some ice cream, the difference with fruit is I can just have some strawberries and a handful of grapes etc :)
  • jjay23
    Options
    I'm doing the 21 Day Sugar Detox right now because I really struggle with moderation when it comes to sweets. My diary is open to friends.

thanks, will add now :)
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I've been doing the best I can to keep that crap out of my house! Like fudge rounds, mmmmmm, fudge rounds.
    But the cantaloupe I got a few days ago is pretty tasty too. :)
  • ShanStar78
    ShanStar78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am with you ALL or NOTHING is exactly what I do!! Same with Diet Soda, if I cut it out I am done, but if I have one I go right back into the same routine!! I know it is bad and it is my vice (well same as food i suppose) !!
  • jladyj
    jladyj Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm the same, I have to give up sugar all together. It's all or nothing with me. But the sugar in fruit does not have the same effect,on me. I'm on day 8 of my sugar detox and I'm feeling good.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue , all or nothing ish , lol I do have dessert once a week .
    Otherwise I'm afraid I may cheat later . Good luck . I'm on 1 month no soda and pretty much dessert only once a week !
  • 2013_a_new_me
    Options
    Me too! Won't give up my fruit, just all the excess and unnecessary sugars in baked goods and treats. Feel free to add :)
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    If you want to understand more about your body and sugar read up on low glycemic index diets. Low GI foods are foods that take a while to change your blood sugar. Diabetics have to pay a lot of attention to where foods are on the GI, and several popular diets are just some form of low GI eating in disguise.
  • jjay23
    Options
    I have the same issue , all or nothing ish , lol I do have dessert once a week .
    Otherwise I'm afraid I may cheat later . Good luck . I'm on 1 month no soda and pretty much dessert only once a week !

Well done! I have done it before, just know I will be a grump for a week
  • jjay23
    Options
    I'm the same, I have to give up sugar all together. It's all or nothing with me. But the sugar in fruit does not have the same effect,on me. I'm on day 8 of my sugar detox and I'm feeling good.

Yey! Hopefully I will ve saying that soon!
  • jcmelbourne
    Options
    I've just seen your posts on giving up sugar, and about to embark on an 8 week program to give it up myself! It starts on the 26th and i'm reading David Gillespie's 'Sweet Poison' in prep for it. Bought a bread maker so that we can start making our own sugar free bread! It's a start - can't give up bread altogether! Doing the Sarah Wilson 'I Quit Sugar' program, and i'll put up a few of the recipes we try too if you'd like. How are you getting on with your sugar free food?
  • syk48
    syk48 Posts: 16
    Options
    congrats on the know soda !!! I am working on it .I have really cut back on it and my blood pressure has gone down to normal. sugar is hard to get away from ,seems to be in almost everything. dr, said to get blood sugar down or next step is meds. I really don't want that so I'm working on that too. Need to work on a few things but being on MFP is a huge help .
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a drug and ya get addicted!! the more ya eatt he more ya want and your body craves it just like it was a chemical drug addiction!! That's how I gained most of my weight and now am fighting diabeties :frown:

I have gotten adjusted to sugar free jello and crystal light cause I try to keep diet sodas to 1 a day but still drink plenty of water!!

Good luck and wishing all the best!! xx
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Giving up anything entirely is setting yourself up to fail. Eat like you plan on eatting the rest of your life and stick with it.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Good thing theres no sugar in ice cream! Or pudding, or bread pudding, OR TAPIOCA PUDDING! :D Life on this no sugar diet is easy!
  • fancymom77
    Options
    I have been doing Dr. Gott's no sugar, no flour. So, nothing white at all. No potatoes, bread, pasta or sugar. It was sooooo hard the first two weeks. I am on week 3 now and it's getting a little easier. I only had 10 lbs to lose anyway. The main thing I notice, besides losing 3 lbs, is that I FEEL better!! More energy, more patience with my kids. And that's not easy! LOL