Hair Problem - Frizzy Ends

Options
Ocarina
Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
Hi everyone, I'm a bit depressed as I have a constant battle with my hair. I'm white with mostly straight hair that is thicker. (to give idea of hair texture) It is highlighted blonde and red every 7-8 weeks and will be trimmed every time as well.

I have gone to the fancy hair salon and had my hair trimmed properly and left there with great looking hair. I use the hair products they used on me and I straighten my hair with a $250 straightener. I air dry my hair, put heat protectant on it and comb it with a wide tooth comb. I only use heat every other day, on a low heat setting as little as possible just to polish up my hair.

I have no clue what else to do as my ends still look just as frizzy as before the trim............. Should I just chock it up to hair texture? I wish I had the alternative of curly hair as I know that is usually coarse but I have straight hair that should be smooth.

Picture: oKDl5yb.jpg

I use Color Proof hair products. I have no idea what else to do and it feels like there is no other options. I also have a problem of my hair being greasy the following day even when I wear a shower cap so I have to wear it up.

Replies

• hnsr1021
    hnsr1021 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It may be the highlights? That's the only thing I can think of that may be damaging your hair that bad. I highlight my hair and I know it strips your hair really bad. Mine has been REALLY bad before. I bought some Organix Moroccan Argan oil Blow out cream and I put a little of it on my hair after I wash my hair and sometimes put about a dime sized amount in my hand and rub them together then wipe down my hair to smooth away any frizzies. My hair is also straight and thick. Hope this helps. You can get the cream I use at Walmart for around 6 dollars..
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Have you tried an oil based serum?

I use biolage smoothing serum or Aussie smoothing serum.

My hair gets dry and frizzy when I have blonde in it because it strips the hair. When I use the serum my hair is really soft and easy to comb through wet!

But...
    I never blow dry or straighten my hair.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    h714BEC77
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I've never in my life gone more than 6 weeks between trims. When my hair is shorter, I like to go at 5 weeks. You may just need more frequent trims.

That said...I've been having great results with the L'Oreal EverPure and EverCream products. They are sulfate-free cleansers, which is better for the hair. And I use a deep conditioner every other day. And a leave-in conditioner every day.

I blow dry daily, but that's all I do.

Plus, I live in the desert. Dry hair is just a way of life, lol.
  • pankuneho
    pankuneho Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are getting it cut with a razor to take out bulk. Ask your stylist not to layer cut your hair, your texture will just make all those layers pop out and look frizzy. Good luck! Hair can be such a battle!
  • Ocarina
    Options
    I would do more trims more often but this is after less then a week from my last trim, lol! I'm sure any more often and it gets shorter and shorter.

I could try adding more product to the ends when drying it out. See if it adds more moisture to it. I have found some talk about the oil based serum and I could pick some up, especially if its cheaper. (Tired of maintenance expenses, LOL)

I know highlights aren't healthy but they are a part of my hair preference and straightening is something I do as if I just let it air dry and go as is it looks very unstyled and quite a mess. I've actually tried it before that way and people made remarks about how I must of just rolled out of bed.:grumble:

This is a first world problem but its a life time issue and I need help otherwise its honestly affecting my self-esteem and it gets old doing the whole hair care routine to end up at the same problem.
  • whierd
    Options
    My post was tongue-in-cheek. Just kidding around with you.

Though, I kind of like the slight frizzy ends.
  • Ocarina
    Options

You're fine! I put a lot of excess time and money into how I look haha, its a hobby of mine I guess. Just seems like it should be a easy fix and I'm kind of relearning hair care right now.
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options
    When my hair used to be straight (yes, hormones of old age change the way your hair grows and it sucks) I just could not do layers at all. It always looked so much smoother and shinier with a blunt-cut.
  • whierd
    Options

You're fine! I put a lot of excess time and money into how I look haha, its a hobby of mine I guess. Just seems like it should be a easy fix and I'm kind of relearning hair care right now.

I used to as well.

Then I shaved it bald.

Bad choice, because now that extra time leaves me bored. :(
  • Ocarina
    Options
    It looks like you are getting it cut with a razor to take out bulk. Ask your stylist not to layer cut your hair, your texture will just make all those layers pop out and look frizzy. Good luck! Hair can be such a battle!

it was cut with super sharp scissors and I wanted flat ends so yeah, not sure what to think. I walked out with the ends looking healthy. I'm positive its something I'm doing or not doing at home. Air drying seems to be causing it maybe from what I reading and maybe adding the serum to the ends would help.
  • Ocarina
    Options

I used to as well.

Then I shaved it bald.

Bad choice, because now that extra time leaves me bored. :(

Haha, yeah I would have a lot of free time if I didn't do make up. I just started this all about a year ago and its been so fun, at least the make up is! I really like my hair, just these damn ends, lol
  • SierraZulu
    Options
    Moroccan oil is great for the ends. I also like the L'Oreal EverSleek shampoo and conditioner - back when I had long hair! The conditioner on the ends for 5 min and it makes the hair really smooth.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My hair is verrry thick and textured and i too color it and flat iron. I've had that problem and to avoid it I put a generous amount of oil (moroccan or argan) on only the ends (or extra on the ends if I apply it to my whole head) then run over the ends again with the flat iron after I put the oil. That usually works pretty well. Good luck :)
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    You know what gives him a right to point out your first world problems? His near 11,000 posts on these forums. Since he hit 10,000 he is now the leading expert about what is important to a website like this...bang, date, marry? Hellllooooo, like we should care about your hair! :)

Have you tried Aussies 3 minute miracle? It adds lasting moisture to your hair. If your hair tends to get greasy, I would only use it on the ends.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Almond oil/ virgin olive oil. Once a fortnight apply to dry hair. If you get greasy roots apply from 3/4 of the way down. Wrap hair in cling film. Bung a towel on top. Leave 30mins. Apply shampoo prior to water. Costs peanuts, no chemicals added. Voila!
  • whierd
    Options
    You know what gives him a right to point out your first world problems? His near 11,000 posts on these forums. Since he hit 10,000 he is now the leading expert about what is important to a website like this...bang, date, marry? Hellllooooo, like we should care about your hair! :)

Have you tried Aussies 3 minute miracle? It adds lasting moisture to your hair. If your hair tends to get greasy, I would only use it on the ends.

You sure got mighty upset for the OP when she wasn't even mad. You wanna tell me who hurt you?
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options
    I'm not really sure where you're seeing this frizziness. At the very bottom? Along the sides in the layers? I don't think I'd call that 'frizzy' to be honest. It's just a little bit of texture. It looks like you might just have the teensiest bit of curve to the hair and it wants to do what it wants to do. Lots of layers creates lots of little ends that all want to do their own thing in their own ways. You see them as frizz because each hair is sticking up in an individual way. Fewer layers would allow the hairs to move more as a unit so you might not see each and every little piece. Maybe?
  • kem05
    kem05 Posts: 97
    Options
    Yup... Frizzy ends sure do suck. If you're getting regular trims and the ends aren't split the most common problem is product buildup. Bad product build up makes the ends dry, course and usually a few shades lighter than your actual hair. Of course we go into panic mode and put more product on to "moisturize" them! Get a trim, avoid products and heat treating for a while and peace shall be restored! That's just my two cents anyway, good luck!! :)
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options

You sure got mighty upset for the OP when she wasn't even mad. You wanna tell me who hurt you?

nah uh! I put a smiley face right there at the end!