What did you eat before dieting?

Options
I have been watching the posts, and see over and over comments about not liking this, that or the other. I was raised by my mother eating vegetables with dinner every night. We all sat down at the the table, and had a meat dish and at least two vegetables and maybe potatoes, pasta or rice as well. We usually had something like green beans (boiled) and a salad with every dinner. We had fruit - usually as a snack or with lunch. Lunch tended to be a sandwich or left overs. Not a lot of processed foods - homemade cookies occasionally, cakes for birthdays, sometimes ice cream for snacks. Mostly popcorn, sometimes chips.

After moving away from home, and starting my own family, I have moved away from the "meat dish" and more have "one pot meals" that have lots of vegetables in them, like stir fry or curry. So I still get my servings of vegetable, but they are in the same dish. For a while I did make my own bread, which I think led to my creep up in weight, so lately I have cut out most of the carbs and keep the vegetables because they help me stay full. I eat some fruit - but mostly my kids scarf it before I can get to it.

Just curious - not intending to say anything about people's upbringings because I know that, coming from a blended family, that people have way different skills when it comes to cooking. Just curious about what you ate.

What

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I basically ate the same as I do now, but I watch the portions. I was raised on home grown veggies, more natural foods (natural PB instead of Skippy and things like that) and lots of home cooked meals. We ate a large variety of foods and styles though. My wife is from India so I do eat more Indian food than I used to though.

We make most of meals from scratch. 80-90% of our at-home meals are that way, and my lunches are usually leftovers. I do have the occasional fast food or restaurant meal as well.

We get out milk and some meats from a local dairy and many of our fruits vegetables from a local service that delivers a good mix on a weekly basis. I am trying Nature Box for snacks as it gives a good variety of things I can keep at work for between meals.

• Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I grew up on takeout and was very fit as a child. I was active in sports and a vegitarian. If it wasn'tfor my hubby my kids and I would eat out. My kids are very fit and active in sports as well. My husband grew up with meals on the table and not so very fit. My husband cooks for us and I gained alot of weight overs the years eating his food. Now that I am eating healthier, my hubs is helping me and cooking healthier foods for the entire family. Its work in progress. My 13yr old son asked me the other day why the whole family has to eat healthy. I told him, it is dinner, eat it or leave it, he eats of course.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Anything and everything.
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I had to make my own meals from a young age.

My mum got fed up of us moaning "this is too dry", "this is burnt", "This doesnt taste right" that she had enough and turned round n said "if you dont like what I make, make it your F***ing self" (she wasnt the best cook, im afraid).
    Mum split with dad and moved out when I was about 6 years old and dad started cooking meals (trying to give us as normal a childhood as possible) but my dads patients was WAY shorter than mums, and it took a third of the time moaning before we go the same response from him :-) whoops.
    Since I had no clue how to cook, and had no clue how to use our gas oven, my brother and I lived off of: bread n butter, sandwiches, cup a soups, microwavable meals (they had only just started being sold in the supermarket, and were very unhealthy) and crisps (chips to the USA :) ) and bisicuits. My brother and I caused 3 toasters to go up in flames, 2 Kettles to blow their filaments and I burnt loads of things in the microwave (charcoaled bread, porridge exploded, and burnt chocolate)

I still cannot cook ( I find myself moaning about my own cooking as mych as I did my parents "this is too dry", "this is burnt", "This doesnt taste right"

I still pretty much eat the same stuff I always have (i dont stock biscuits as I cant have 'just one', I dont have a taste for crisps anymore, but the bread n butter, microwaveable meals, cup a soups are still eaten.. The difference is that MFP taught me i wasnt eating enough calories.. I worked out the for the last 20 odd years I was living on about 600 calories a day... Ive now more than doubled it.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I eat exactly the same things as I did before my diet. Mainly home cooked meals. I live in a small town and our choices are McDonalds or Subway. We eat out maybe once or twice a month.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    At home, I grew up on everything from stir fry to home made tortillas, to cheese souffle. My mom was an amazing cook who eventually ended up going to France to even get to work in a restaurant for a while a number of years ago. We always had really good food that was from all different kinds of cultures. It was typically always a protein/carb/veggie dinner, with an array of all things on constant rotation.

But I hardly ate any of it. I was the pickiest of picky eaters and was often left at the table for hours after dinner staring at a plate of cold veggies.

When I moved out, it was mostly junk and fast food. Or, the hubby (boyfriend at the time) would cook a meal that was literally just steak and potatoes. I'd usually skip every meal and then have a massively huge, unhealthy, fast food (or occasional chain restaurant) dinner, after which, I'd munch on whatever stuff we had around the house while sitting around watching TV at night.

Once I started eating to lose weight, I actually ended up having my palette expanding beyond belief and I eat almost anything now. In fact, I think the only things I don't eat nowadays are celery, beets, and truffles. :)
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    What I cooked for myself tended to involve a lot of cheese and far more meat than was strictly necessary for a small football team.

And, you know, not dieting now. Just living better.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    I've cooked since I was about seven, cooking full meals alone in the house since about eight, and improvising cooking methods out of necessity. At one point I made an entire Thanksgiving dinner for four with a toaster oven and a stove with only two working burners (yes, really), so I'm kind of used to getting creative with what I have available because both my mother and I hate bland food.

Growing up, I ate a lot of things like pizza and Chinese takeout when I wasn't cooking that meal. One of my favourite breakfasts has always been cold pizza or Chinese takeout eaten on the balcony while painting and / or smoking (started that at an embarrassingly young age as well). Other than that, there was a LOT of meat. As an early teen, I had to eat a lot of steak (I didn't like it, that's just what was bought) and a lot of chicken. Sides were usually mashed potatoes or canned green beans, brussels sprouts, peas or corn. One of the dishes I cooked a lot was pan seared chicken with pesto and pasta. My cooking included a LOT of butter and spices. There were also things like tuna casserole, which I maintain is one of the most disgusting things on the planet. It's basically canned mixed vegetables, two types of canned soup, tuna, egg noodles and it's covered in cheese.

Chili is pretty much the only thing I've kept since I changed my eating habits and stopped eating meat. Well, there's also pizza, but I make it differently now, and the chili is meatless as well. It was quite an adjustment to go from eating LOTS and lots of meat to none at all, but I feel much better having made the switch.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Typical day looked something like this:

Breakfast

5 pancakes with tons of maple syrup
    5 strips of bacon
    3 fried eggs

----

Lunch

1 box of tuna helper prepared

---

Grazing throughout the day

8 or 9 cans of any kind of soda
    Half a bag of family-sized chips
    Half a tray of cookies, like Chips Ahoy! or coconut butter cookies or something
    A ton of Asian snacks and candy: Pocky, Hello Panda, flavored mochi, flavored wafer sticks, tamarind candy, pandan and ube cake
    3 or 4 of those cheap ice cream sandwiches
    1 or 2 boiled sweet potatoes
    1 or 2 7-11 doughnuts

---

Dinner

My typical family dinner of jasmine rice, fish/meat, and vegetables
    Vietnamese sweet soup (called che.)

---

After dinner, late at night

Jack in the Box or Denny's with my big brother:

1 strawberry, banana smoothie
    Chicken strips with honey mustard
    3 tacos
    1 chicken sandwich
    1 of those fudge dessert things
    Curly Fries

Or

A chicken fried steak or a Grand Slam

OR if brother is not home:

4 sandwiches that had:

2 slices of white bread with a ton of mayonnaise slathered on both
    2 strips of bacon
    1 over easy egg
    A couple of tablespoons of maple-syrup on each
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My mom cooked three meals a day. We always had a "meat & three" for dinner and supper with fried cornbread (think southern Fried....fried pork chops, fried okra, fried corn was a typical meal). Cornbread Every Single Day...ugh. I loathe cornbread. Two fried eggs over easy with either potatoes or bacon every morning. Anyway we never ate pasta, pizza, tacos, fast food OR sandwiches.

I was a teen before I had Chinese food & I vividly remember going to McD's the first time with a friend's mom. To this day I just can't eat pasta, I hate it. I can choke down pizza if I'm starving & I don't eat sandwiches of any kind, hamburgers included although I can tear up a hamburger steak!! I still only drink water, tea or milk, won't drink soda or "flavored" stuff at all. And yeah, my favorite food is still......Fried.

Had to amend this to also say I will eat pretty much anything if it's covered in gravy.
    And that I do not cook. I don't like it & I suck at it. If I had to shell peas or shuck corn like my mom did (and made me do!) to feed my kids they would have starved to death a long, long time ago. I'm working on it....:smile:
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    As a kid we were very poor, and more than once I remember dumpster diving, as well as using local food pantries etc. Food was always around, but it was a total hodgepodge. In college I lived off of fast food as well as hot case food, from the deli that I worked at. After I got married we continued to eat fast food 3-4 times a week, and food at home was usually hot dogs, pizzas etc. I was thin, in the 130s, through all of this. Then over the past few years I taught myself how to cook and bake. We started eating homemade/made from scratch meals. My weight stayed in the 130s. What I ate didn't make a difference in my weight, until after I had my third child and hit my 30s. That's when the weight started creeping on and I ended up in the 170s last fall. I was fortunate to find a plan, (JUDDD), that met me where I was at, didn't require me to cut out any foods that I was used to, and I was able to eat what I had been eating, while still losing weight. From there, as I transitioned into maintenance I became interested in how food/nutrition relates to good/bad health and here I am now, eating a whole foods, plant based diet :) My weight is now in the low 120s.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My mom tried to be healthy, but we didn't have a lot of money and it was just easier to make pasta or get fast food when we didn't have time to cook.
    So I ate a lot of pasta... When she cooked veggies I refused to eat them (can't stand most veggies to this day though I'm trying really hard to incorporate them :( )
    Even our healthy foods had gravy along with it.
    I would eat chips and cookies and I had a really bad habit of eating cookie dough all the time.
    When I'd go to work, I would just get anything for lunch, without really thinking about it. I don't really like sandwiches so I hated lunch in highschool and got a lot of poutines and caesar wraps and pizza from the cafeteria and store across the street.
    In college I hated dorm food so I ate a lot of Pitas and ramen.

... It's been so hard trying to eat better now. I used to eat so salty! And snack all the time. It's hard to find other things to snack on that are good for me! And started to exercise has been both trying/ fun because I'm always sore now! But I know It's all an improvement.